• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) We need more CR 4 Beasts (and Plants)

VenerableBede

Adventurer
Sure. My point was that I was previously under the impression that we did need a new category because I mistakenly believed that elite monsters wouldn’t work.
Is that true? Correct me if I’m wrong, but Elites don’t actually change a monster’s CR, they just make it count as double when calculating an encounter’s approximate difficulty. Making Elite forms of Beasts that aren’t already CR 4 or higher doesn’t actually fit the issue.

Creating “dire” Beasts (or whatever other term you want to add to the beginning of a beast’s name) is intended to create larger and stronger creatures with higher CRs. That’s, strictly speaking, different from how Elites work since Elites are intended to keep to-hit and Save values the same for monsters of a specific CR while still creating a “boss” version of that monster, thus leaving the CR unchanged (especially for the Druid who doesn’t inherit the often-inflated HP values of Elites).

xiphumor

Legend
Is that true? Correct me if I’m wrong, but Elites don’t actually change a monster’s CR, they just make it count as double when calculating an encounter’s approximate difficulty. Making Elite forms of Beasts that aren’t already CR 4 or higher doesn’t actually fit the issue.

Creating “dire” Beasts (or whatever other term you want to add to the beginning of a beast’s name) is intended to create larger and stronger creatures with higher CRs. That’s, strictly speaking, different from how Elites work since Elites are intended to keep to-hit and Save values the same for monsters of a specific CR while still creating a “boss” version of that monster, thus leaving the CR unchanged (especially for the Druid who doesn’t inherit the often-inflated HP values of Elites).
MM pg 7:

“For magical effects and spells that rely on a creature’s Challenge Rating, such as true polymorph, treat an elite monster as if its Challenge Rating was doubled.”

But yes, I agree with the HP problem

Remove ads