Optimizing Tempest Cleric

There character is already made; but this is mostly for what feats/asi I should take at level 4.

Details:
  • I'm pretty much the tank(there is a monk that fights beside me) - IE why I am Hill Dwarf(+1 HP) and 16 Con
  • I keep bless up
  • I defiantly want to have some strong spells ready to burst if needed
  • Shield and Warhammer + Heavy Armor

Party:

• Tempest Cleric(Me)
  • Lore Wizard(CC Heavy and burst when needed)
  • Elemental Monk
  • Unknown(Last player is joining next week.

Stats/Race:

Hill Dwarf(30 Point Buy):
Str 14
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 8
Wis 16
Cha 8

Options for level 4 I was thinking:

• +2 Con
  • Warcaster
  • Magic Initiate: Shillelagh + Level 1 Druid Spell
  • Lucky

Last edited:

I think you can do better with a 30 point buy.
Dexterity is quite unimportant. I am not sure if shilelagh is a good idea. If you don't increase wis, you can as well increase str and use better weapons than a club or quarterstaff.

So:
15 Str
11 Dex
17 Con
8 Int
16 Wis
8 Cha

This opens up +1 str +1 con or resilient con at level 4. And at level 8 you can either take warcaster or +1 str and +1 dex depending on your previous choice.

Last edited:

Volund

Explorer
Resilient Con would be better than +2Con for the purpose of Concntration checks.
These become more and more important as you level up
I second Resilient (Con) if you plan to tank. At 5th level you will get Spirit Guardians which is good for tanking, and it's a concentration spell. Great choice for a character. My 10th level tempest cleric went straight to 20 Wis and not having Resilient (Con) or War Caster is starting to become an issue, and I have other fighter types in the party. If you're the tank, I recommend you do everything you can to help your concentration checks.

Volund

Explorer
So you guys think resilent con over war caster? We only had 1 really short session, I could easily change my con to set it up for resilient con next level

Your call. Might be a YMMV situation that depends on your party and campaign. I would go Resilient (Con) first because while both will help your concentration checks, War Caster doesn't help you when you hear the Banshee's wail, look into the eyes of the Basilisk, or feel the gentle caress of the Wraith.

Last edited:

RulesJD

First Post
1. Dump Dexterity and some Con

2. Get Charisma up to 13/14

3. Past level 6 for Tempest, multiclass into Sorcerer. Use Booming Blade as your standard damage (or Shocking Grasp if you need some room), upcast Chromatic Orb against single targets (max damage = bye bye) and later Lightning Bolt.

Played that build up to level 14 and absolutely dominated. Spirit Guardians gives you some of the best AoE in the game, while upcast CO or LB some of the best single target.

1. Dump Dexterity and some Con

2. Get Charisma up to 13/14

3. Past level 6 for Tempest, multiclass into Sorcerer. Use Booming Blade as your standard damage (or Shocking Grasp if you need some room), upcast Chromatic Orb against single targets (max damage = bye bye) and later Lightning Bolt.

Played that build up to level 14 and absolutely dominated. Spirit Guardians gives you some of the best AoE in the game, while upcast CO or LB some of the best single target.

Interesting

To me for this character, this most important thing is to be hard to kill.

Things I want for sure:

• Resilient Con
  • ---------- Thanks Bid...no resilent dex
  • 18 - 20 Con

Things I may Get:
  • Tough
  • Alert
  • Shield Master
  • Dwarf Resilience
  • 18 or 20 Wisdom
  • Heavy Armor Master(If 15 Str starting)

Other than those 3 things, what do you guys think i Should make sure I get to be as unkillable as possible

My two stat lay out options are the following. pick one and tell me what feats/ASIs you would take and at what level.

Str 14
Dex 13
Con 17
Int 8
Wis 16
Cha 8

Str 15
Dex 11
Con 17
Int 8
Wis 16
Cha 8