D&D 5E Optional Variant Features for Fighters

Take a look at spells. make options to trade out action surge, extra attack and indomitable for things that are martial and non magical but on par with spells. if you trade at level 12 use a 6th level spell... if you trade at level 5 look at 3rd level spells.

off the top of my head "Leap before you look" once per day as an action you move up to twice your movement, then where you would stop make a melee attack against all enemies within a 20ft radius. Each attack that hits deals double damage, and each one that misses deals damage equal to your attack stat modifier. that isn't a fireball but it is pretty close
"Leap of the Leaper" once per day as an action you grant yourself the ability to tipple your jump distance. This lasts for up to 10 minutes* concentration. this isn't jump but it kinda is

I would prefer a full blown warlord class but that is a great starting point.

I would like to see increased use of the Proficiency Bonus as a stat modifier substitute. For example, from my own revised Fighter:

(1st level) Defensive Bonus: your base Armour Class can become 10 + Armour + Defensive Bonus. Your Defensive Bonus is the lower of your Proficiency Bonus or your levels in the Fighter class and is limited by armour as your Dex bonus is (e.g. max of +2 with Medium Armour, +3 with feat). You may add to your AC with a shield, Fighting Styles, magic, and the like. Your Defensive Bonus may not be used with Unarmoured Defence. If your Dex is superior to your Defensive Bonus then you may use Dex in your AC calculation as normal.

(5th level) Combat Readiness: you may use your Proficiency Bonus instead of any other stat bonus when calculating initiative. Feats are cumulative with this.

(12th level) Sixth Sense: at 12th level your base passive Wisdom (Perception) scores become the better of 10 + Proficiency Bonus or 10 + Wisdom modifier and you may use your Proficiency Bonus instead of your Wisdom modifier when making active Wisdom (Perception) rolls. Feats are cumulative with this.
I like both combat readiness and sixth sense. I will talk to my DM about those. Thanks!

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Here's a Q

If there were Upgraded versions of Fighting Styles. Like Style Masteries. Fighting styles appropriate for level 11+ warriors.

What would you see as the benefit of an upgraded fighting style?

If TWF allows you to add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack and th Dual Wielder feat exists, what does Advanced TWF do?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Can I go a little wider in scope?

Another thread had me thinking recently about the "mythic hero" who's physical prowess is sufficient to take on a dragon in hand-to-hand, but not jump a 20' crevice.

I was thinking about "beyond normal maxima" boons. Perhaps tied to having 17+ in STR, DEX, or CON. That just naturally occur as you go up levels, not spending a feat or other currency to access them.

(BTW, the odd number there was very intentional.)

Things like being able to run like the wind (+prof x 5' to movement), lift crazy amounts for short periods, force march for days, swim or climb as nimbly as you can walk, ignore a level of exhaustion, ignore weather extremes, hold your breath for 10 minutes, etc.

All sorts of things you'd expect from larger-than-life mythic heroes.

It could be either always on, or being able to do a number of stunts per rest, or whatever.

As a side note, that's the quick thought. The more detailed thought was basing these sorts of things on skills you had Expertise/Double Proficiency in instead of ability scores, and then granting Fighter some without needing expertise and having the Ranger have some effectively in their Favored Terrain. Paladins are already cool and Rogue already get Expertise so can do wherever. But there's no CON skills and some mythic heroic deeds seem like they would be CON based.

Here's a Q

If there were Upgraded versions of Fighting Styles. Like Style Masteries. Fighting styles appropriate for level 11+ warriors.

What would you see as the benefit of an upgraded fighting style?

If TWF allows you to add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack and th Dual Wielder feat exists, what does Advanced TWF do?
I suppose the obvious choice for Advanced TWF is to allow more than one attack in the TWF bonus action, based on the number of Extra Attack levels you have.
Or remove the bonus action and make the additional attacks part of your actual Attack Action.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I suppose the obvious choice for Advanced TWF is to allow more than one attack in the TWF bonus action, based on the number of Extra Attack levels you have.
Or remove the bonus action and make the additional attacks part of your actual Attack Action.
I’d actually go with a defensive benefit, since that primarily what you use anoffhand weapon for IRL.

Maybe a reposte ability?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases