D&D 5E Optional Variant Features for Fighters

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
  • Advanced Archery. When you score a critical hit with a ranged weapon, you can roll one of the weapon's dice an aditional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.
  • Advanced Blind Fighting. ????
  • Advanced Defense. While you are wearing armor, you gain resistance to piercing and slashing damage
  • Advanced Dueling. When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.
  • Advanced Great Weapon Fighting. When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you treat the result as a 3. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.
  • Advanced Interception. When a creature you can see hits a target, other than you, within 5 feet of you with an attack, you can use your reaction to reduce the damage the target takes by 3d10 + your proficiency bonus (to a minimum of 0 damage). You must be wielding a shield or a simple or martial weapon to use this reaction.
  • Advanced Protection. When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll and any other attack roll by that creature until the start of its next turn. You must be wielding a shield.
  • Advanced Superior Technique. You learn one additional maneuver of your choice from among those available to the Battle Master archetype and one additional superiority dice.
  • Advanced Thrown Weapon Fighting. ????
  • Advanced Two-Weapon Fighting. When you make an opportunity attack, you can attack with each hand.
  • Advanced Unarmed Fighting. ????

Here's a Q

If there were Upgraded versions of Fighting Styles. Like Style Masteries. Fighting styles appropriate for level 11+ warriors.

What would you see as the benefit of an upgraded fighting style?

If TWF allows you to add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack and th Dual Wielder feat exists, what does Advanced TWF do?
I know I bring this up alot but the middle earth 5e book has advanced fighting styles in one of the classes

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Consistent Attack: when you take an action other than the Attack or Cast a Spell action on your turn, you can use your bonus action to make one weapon attack.

This allows fighters to do all sort of other things and still get an attack in! I have seen this feature allow fighters to increase their mobility (disengage), combat tactics (helping an ally), defense (dodge), utility (use an object), and preparedness (ready).
An interesting idea! Much like healers who can use a Bonus Action healing word (to "do what they are expected to do") and still do something else (what they want to do) with their Action.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
-Fighters can expend an extra attack to gain advantage on an attack roll
Lots of interesting ideas here. Maybe I am missing something with the idea above, but unless you are a multiclassed Rogue/Fighter looking to get Sneak Attack, or trying to offset Disadvantage, isn't it always better to make two attacks, with a chance that both might hit?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
  • Advanced Archery. When you score a critical hit with a ranged weapon, you can roll one of the weapon's dice an aditional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.
  • Advanced Blind Fighting. ????
  • Advanced Defense. While you are wearing armor, you gain resistance to piercing and slashing damage
  • Advanced Dueling. When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.
  • Advanced Great Weapon Fighting. When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you treat the result as a 3. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.
  • Advanced Interception. When a creature you can see hits a target, other than you, within 5 feet of you with an attack, you can use your reaction to reduce the damage the target takes by 3d10 + your proficiency bonus (to a minimum of 0 damage). You must be wielding a shield or a simple or martial weapon to use this reaction.
  • Advanced Protection. When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll and any other attack roll by that creature until the start of its next turn. You must be wielding a shield.
  • Advanced Superior Technique. You learn one additional maneuver of your choice from among those available to the Battle Master archetype and one additional superiority dice.
  • Advanced Thrown Weapon Fighting. ????
  • Advanced Two-Weapon Fighting. When you make an opportunity attack, you can attack with each hand.
  • Advanced Unarmed Fighting. ????
I would rather have advanced fighting styles either provide a benefit that is differently related to the style, rather than juicing up what it already does, or have advanced fighting styles be orthagonal to level 1 options, eg

Advanced Two-Weapon Style: When an attack against you within 5ft misses you while you are weilding two melee weapons, the attacker provokes an attack of opportunity from you.

VS

Riposte Expertise: When an attack against you within your threatened area misses you, the attacker provokes an attack of opportunity from you.

OR

Stances, like Guardian's Stance, which lets you mark targets and punish them for trying to ignore you or hit your allies.

Here's a Q

If there were Upgraded versions of Fighting Styles. Like Style Masteries. Fighting styles appropriate for level 11+ warriors.

What would you see as the benefit of an upgraded fighting style?

If TWF allows you to add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack and th Dual Wielder feat exists, what does Advanced TWF do?
You get the associated feat for free, spread out over levels.

ie: at level 1, you get the two-weapon style (and can draw two weapons as a single interaction). At level 3 you get the one bullet point form the feat - let's say the ac bonus. At level 7 you can use one handed weapons. at level 11 you get a bump to the ac bonus, and at level 15 you get a second attack as part of the bonus action.

For greatweapons, you'd get the style at 1st, cleave at 3rd, and power attack at 7th, but the damage bonus would scale - maybe only +7 damage, but it goes to +10 damage at 11th and +12 at 15th. Or so.

Protection would incorporates Shield Master, Defense would incorporate Medium Armor Master and/or Heavy Armor Master (possibly scaling DR), dueling might incorporate defensive duelist though I'm inclined to make it mostly just a scaling damage mod.

And so on.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Lots of interesting ideas here. Maybe I am missing something with the idea above, but unless you are a multiclassed Rogue/Fighter looking to get Sneak Attack, or trying to offset Disadvantage, isn't it always better to make two attacks, with a chance that both might hit?
That’s true i guess, i was thinking it might be useful for single attack use abilities that only activate on contact, stuff like (and i know the fighter doesn’t get this but as example) the ensnaring strike spell, if you’ve only got one arrow to make the shot or missing incurs some penalty like a counterattack, and yes like sneak attack, abilities that activate on condition of having advantage.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I love this! At what level would you give this? I'm thinking levels 3 or 5.
I've give it with Extra Attack. Plus don't want others cherry picking it. Picture an elven accuracy rogue coming in for this and the champion subclass.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
What if there was a Fighter Suclass for each type of Media

Action Movie Fighter
  • Bullet Time
  • Fisticuffs
  • One Liner
  • ????
  • ????
Anime/Mange Fighter
  • Flash Step