D&D 5E Options past 3rd level

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
So again ... what did they not bring over that you thought they should have?

Or just drop it, I don't mean to badger. :)
There are a number of things I think could have been brought over, but the one that’s relevant to this discussion is build choices throughout the character’s career.

Oofta

Legend
There are a number of things I think could have been brought over, but the one that’s relevant to this discussion is build choices throughout the character’s career.

But the way they did it was by giving choices of powers. It was fundamental to class design and balance. The fact that powers were encapsulated made a big difference. From a game design standpoint it made sense, I just think some things were lost in the translation (for me).

If 5E had kept the flexibility concepts while using the current style I think we would have ended up with some of the same issues we had with 3.5. The combination of flexibility with synergistic options lead to system mastery being so central to the game.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
But the way they did it was by giving choices of powers. It was fundamental to class design and balance. The fact that powers were encapsulated made a big difference. From a game design standpoint it made sense, I just think some things were lost in the translation (for me).

If 5E had kept the flexibility concepts while using the current style I think we would have ended up with some of the same issues we had with 3.5. The combination of flexibility with synergistic options lead to system mastery being so central to the game.
Whereas I look to examples like the 5e warlock or 13th Age and come to the conclusion that is possible to have both flexibility and customizability in a way that is user-friendly and does not lead to the game being dominated by players with high levels of system mastery. 5e largely fell short of that benchmark, and I think the aversion to anything that smelled even vaguely of 4e is a big part of the reason for that.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I think the Paragon Path and Epic Destiny of 4e was a broadly good idea. When you enter a new major tier of play, you make a choice that defines your character for that tier.

For 5e, having such a decision to make around 10th or 11th level would be good. At that point the game becomes much broader in focus. The options provided would reflect how your character relates to the larger world in some way.

Such a thing could probably be integrated into 5e via through a Prestige Feat, which is pretty much just a feat with prerequisites such as level, class, or in-world organization. They would probably often tie in with creating strongholds, having retainers or subjects, and generally exerting influence on the world. Examples include:

• Guild Master (start or take over a small guild)
  • Warlord (start a military force geared toward conquering land)
  • Archmage
  • Templar
  • Inquisitor
  • Tax Collector
  • Forge Master
  • Magical Lab Owner

For the sake of customizing characters.

I am more interested in swapping class features in and out.

Archetypes solves most multiclassing needs.

In 5e, multiclassing feels less important to me.

I think the Paragon Path and Epic Destiny of 4e was a broadly good idea. When you enter a new major tier of play, you make a choice that defines your character for that tier.

For 5e, having such a decision to make around 10th or 11th level would be good. At that point the game becomes much broader in focus. The options provided would reflect how your character relates to the larger world in some way.

Such a thing could probably be integrated into 5e via through a Prestige Feat, which is pretty much just a feat with prerequisites such as level, class, or in-world organization. They would probably often tie in with creating strongholds, having retainers or subjects, and generally exerting influence on the world. Examples include:

• Guild Master (start or take over a small guild)
  • Warlord (start a military force geared toward conquering land)
  • Archmage
  • Templar
  • Inquisitor
  • Tax Collector
  • Forge Master
  • Magical Lab Owner
Divide the tiers, according to the 5e proficiency bonus improvements.

Something like:

• 1-4 Basic (Student, Guild Apprentice, Page, Jack)
• 5-8 Expert (Professional, Adventurer, Guild Journeyer, Squire)

• 9-12 Master (Chief, Institutional Leader, Guild Master, Knight, Sire/Dame)
• 13-16 Official (Presider, Regional Leader, Archon, Arch, Guild Grandmaster, Noble, Lord/Lady, Great, Founder)

• 17-20 Legend
• 21-24 Immortal (Epic)

Last edited:

Remove ads