[ORC] Vision for one or more ORC systems: convert the entire OGC archives from the start, using a massive team of converters

Yaarel

He Mage
I get that this is how it works, but doesn't that basically avoid the whole scenario we were discussing? For that you need to first have something published under OGL, and then the question becomes whether that only imposed the limitations on that one product, or on you across products. If you bypass the first step, you never entered into the agreement that is being discussed.

Once the ORE (Open RPG Engine) exists, the one who has rights to the product creates a new version for this system instead.

If all you wanted to say is that the ORC license allows you to never use the OGL (as does the CC btw), then you used a lot of words for that, but I agree
The CC is CC-BY 4.0 that requires the user to declare that Hasbro-WotC is the owner of the rights the SRD system. There is still entanglement.

The ORC using the ORE system has nothing to do with Hasbro-WotC in the first place.

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
That's interesting, but a bit surprising given the words of the licence.
shows you how much experience I have with licenses I guess. I expect them to restrict the work, not the author, and ‘you’ just addresses the author because a book does not write itself ;)

Yaarel

He Mage
As I've posted above, the proper construction of section 7 is not entirely straightforward, because of its use of the defined term "Use". But a party to the OGL doesn't avoid their section 7 obligation by no longer publishing under the OGL. The OGL doesn't require continuing to publish under it in order to keep it on foot.

In section 1 (h) of the OGL 1.0a
(h) "You" or "Your" means the licensee in terms of this agreement.

The term "you" only applies to the person who is using the license, namely the "licensee".

The term "you" cannot apply to a person who isnt using the OGL license.

For a designer who creates games, the designer might sometimes use the OGL (for products for D&D) and sometimes not (for products for other games).

The "you" is only when choosing to use the OGL license.

It doesnt include when a designer is choosing to use the ORC license.

The designer only commits to the terms of the license when using the license for a specific product − and only that product that features the OGL license.

pemerton

Legend
The term "you" only applies to the person who is using the license, namely the "licensee".

The term "you" cannot apply to a person who isnt using the OGL license.

For a designer who creates games, the designer might sometimes use the OGL (for products for D&D) and sometimes not (for products for other games).

The "you" is only when choosing to use the OGL license.

It doesnt include when a designer is choosing to use the ORC license.
You means the licensee. If you are arguing that "in terms of this license" is some sort of narrowing of obligation, as opposed to clarification of what is meant by "licensee", maybe you could elaborate?

I take it to mean that "You" is the licensee party to the OGL.

The designer only commits to the terms of the license when using the license for a specific product − and only that product that features the OGL license.
Again, I'd be interested to know what your argument is.

Remove ads