[ORC] Vision for one or more ORC systems: convert the entire OGC archives from the start, using a massive team of converters

Hi, I realize this will seem like unrealistic 'pony wishing'...

But as the new de-OGLed versions of PF2, AGE, BRP, A5E, DCC, etc. arrive in the coming weeks and months, one truly unprecedented jumpstarter would be:

1) For one or some of those systems to tap into their network of freelancers and expert fans, and arrange for a quick and massive conversion of every scrap of material in the existing SRD archives (3.5e d20 Modern, and 5.0e, with IDs filed off) and other Open Game Content archives (e.g. PF1 and PF2 (including especially PF 3PP), d20 Hero, d20 Anime, and other Open archives at the Open Gaming Network), so that it's all available from the start. Or at least in a roll-out of months, rather than years.

If even only one ORC-aligned game system converted nearly all of the existing OGC which is posted at those existing archive sites, it would be such an unprecedented foundation. Not even PF2 has done that.

That would be huge foundation for receiving a massive influx of rebel ORCs who are coming out of the gigantic D&D Empire. The fully-converted system would serve as a very robust resource for converting all their wild and wonderful species and class features, feats and spells which they'll be bringing over from DMs Guild, D&D Beyond Homebrew, etc.

If there are concerns that the massive army of convertors might not convert things in a totally balanced way, then the material could be considered 'provisional', and not yet compliant for organized play, until fully vetted by each company's in-house design team, over time.

2) Beyond that one fully-converted system, it would be a wonderful camaraderie-building feature for two or more ORC systems (e.g. PF2, AGE, BRP, DCC, and A5E) to have also converted all the stuff, and for their online archive pages to be hyperlinked to each other, for each feature, on a page-by-page basis. So as to aid in easy character conversion between systems.

In the ORC age, it could become customary to convert our characters into and out of multiple game systems at the drop of the hat. So that we are equipped to jump in and play at any ORC-allied tables. Once it is all lined up page-by-page, someone (or the companies themselves) could feasibly produce multi-system converter apps, for converting characters, monsters, spells, etc.

This would be a realization of the Envoy vision of WOTC founder Peter Adkison, for which in an previous dark age, he suffered attack.

Last edited:

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Instant Acrimonious Lawsuit;
just add WotC.

This proposal feels like dismantling the railroad tracks when you can hear the whistle in the distance.

Don't get me wrong, I love the passion, and you are describing in broad terms where I hope the ORC ends up someday. But it's one thing to acknowledge that Wizards' SRDs are a lot of hot air trading accepted free-use rights for a promise of freedom from spurious litigation, and entirely another to assert it with an industry-wide initiative!

There's no way this would not engender the strongest possible response from the rights holder. The ORC developers need to fly casual. Personally, I'm still hopeful we can get out of this mess without it ever seeing the inside of a courtroom; there's no need to counter scorched earth with scorched earth.

Don't get me wrong, I love the passion, and you are describing in broad terms where I hope the ORC ends up someday.
Thank you! agreed. I'm just a voice for 'soon' rather than 'someday.'
But it's one thing to acknowledge that Wizards' SRDs are a lot of hot air trading accepted free-use rights for a promise of freedom from spurious litigation, and entirely another to assert it with an industry-wide initiative!
I only meant that the ORC versions would have to cover everything which is contained those SRDs, but with different names and formatting, not traceable to the SRDs per se. And also: that "not WotC" stuff would just be anonymously interspersed within all the other stuff which would be converted from the PF1 and PF2 archives.

But well, okay, then if the WotC SRDs were left out of it, even if one or more ORC games "only" converted the entire contents of the PF1 d20 archive (including 3PP OGC) and the PF2 archive, that would be a gigantic start. Let's start with a full-blown foundation, instead of trickling it out via slowly updated splatbooks over the course of years and decades.

Last edited:

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I absolutely agree that there is an element of urgency to having at least one complete SRD released under the ORC, preferably two.

This is a major topic of conversation amongst the Wizards apologists on D&D Beyond, that if the ORC can't put up it should shut up. Disappointing but true.

aco175

Legend
I know everyone is screaming for now, now, NOW in todays world, but sometimes things need to be slow. I think the now response to the OGL1.1 was needed and done what it needed to, but now I think we need to chill for a few weeks to let cooler heads prevail. If the new OGL coming out is still crap, then things should roll faster. I know companies need to plan for their year and for things like Christmas shopping and such.

Matt Thomason

Adventurer
1) For one or some of those systems to tap into their network of freelancers and expert fans, and arrange for a quick and massive conversion of every scrap of material in the existing SRD archives (3.5e d20 Modern, and 5e, with IDs filed off) and other Open Game Content archives (e.g. PF1 and PF2 (including especially PF 3PP), d20 Hero, d20 Anime, and other Open archives at the Open Gaming Network), so that it's all available from the start. Or at least in a roll-out of months, rather than years.

This is similar to one of my first thoughts on the ORC announcement, but by having publishers do blanket "Everything we ever produced under the OGL, you also have our permission to redistribute under ORC" announcements. Its just the very, very complicated (and risky) task of filing off the serial numbers for the underlying SRD that would get in the way.

That task becomes even more complicated and risky if you don't have the permission of the publisher in question and also have to file their serial numbers off. And somewhat risky for anyone down the line who decides to use that version because they need to be confident the converter did the job thoroughly enough to avoid copyright infringement.

I don't want to be a downer on this, because I'm also unhappy that moving to the ORC license means saying goodbye to a lot of OGL OGC we will no longer have the rights to use, and truly love the idea we might be able to do something about that. Just trying to be realistic about the amount of work involved and the real risks attached to both doing it and reusing it.

SoonRaccoon

Explorer
If even only one ORC-aligned game system converted nearly all of the existing OGC which is posted at those existing archive sites, it would be such an unprecedented foundation. Not even PF2 has done that.
The ORC license doesn't even exist yet. Of course no one has released anything under it. Maybe give Paizo and their lawyers some time to actually write the thing first.

Yaarel

He Mage
Hi, I realize this will seem like unrealistic 'pony wishing'...

But as the new de-OGLed versions of PF2, AGE, BRP, A5E, DCC, etc. arrive in the coming weeks and months, one truly unprecedented jumpstarter would be:

1) For one or some of those systems to tap into their network of freelancers and expert fans, and arrange for a quick and massive conversion of every scrap of material in the existing SRD archives (3.5e d20 Modern, and 5.0e, with IDs filed off) and other Open Game Content archives (e.g. PF1 and PF2 (including especially PF 3PP), d20 Hero, d20 Anime, and other Open archives at the Open Gaming Network), so that it's all available from the start. Or at least in a roll-out of months, rather than years.

That would be huge foundation for receiving a massive influx of rebel ORCs who are coming out of the gigantic D&D Empire. The fully-converted system would serve as a very robust resource for converting all their wild and wonderful species and class features, feats and spells which they'll be bringing over from DMs Guild, D&D Beyond Homebrew, etc.

If there are concerns that the massive army of convertors might not convert things in a totally balanced way, then the material could be considered 'provisional', and not yet compliant for organized play, until fully vetted by each company's in-house design team, over time.

2) Beyond that one fully-converted system, it would be a wonderful camaraderie-building feature for two or more ORC systems (e.g. PF2, AGE, BRP, DCC, and A5E) to have also converted all the stuff, and for their online archive pages to be hyperlinked to each other, for each feature, on a page-by-page basis. So as to aid in easy character conversion between systems.

In the ORC age, it could become customary to convert our characters into and out of multiple game systems at the drop of the hat. So that we are equipped to jump in and play at any ORC-allied tables. Once it is all lined up page-by-page, someone (or the companies themselves) could feasibly produce multi-system converter apps, for converting characters, monsters, spells, etc.

This would be a realization of the Envoy vision of WOTC founder Peter Adkison, for which in an previous dark age, he suffered attack.
Actually, the request is realistic.

The Pathfinder 2 Reference Document is already a "de-OGL-ed" SRD. It just needs doublechecking for any accidental imports.

dave2008

Legend
I absolutely agree that there is an element of urgency to having at least one complete SRD released under the ORC, preferably two.

This is a major topic of conversation amongst the Wizards apologists on D&D Beyond, that if the ORC can't put up it should shut up. Disappointing but true.
Personally I am more concerned about the legal language of ORC than I am about SRDs that will be included. Those will come, if the document is good. I think the time to blindly assume ORC is a good document without seeing should have passed. Let's get to step 1 first!

If they build it well, they will come!

Remove ads