[ORC] Vision for one or more ORC systems: convert the entire OGC archives from the start, using a massive team of converters

mamba

Legend
Which interpretation?

If you're talking about section 7, all I'm doing is reading the plain words of the first clause:

You - the licensee, as per section 1 - agree not to Use any Product Identity
yes this, that it binds the person to these restrictions outside the context of the document they are publishing under the OGL.

I am not saying you are reading it wrong, it’s just not something I would have even considered a possibility.

Yaarel

He Mage
If you're talking about section 7, all I'm doing is reading the plain words of the first clause:
Lets start with the plain meaning of Section 7. An earlier post emphasizes the first two sentences, and a contrast between them.

I am using this source, as convenient reference: opengamingfoundation .org/ogl.html

First sentence.

"
7. Use of Product Identity:

You agree not to Use any Product Identity,
including as an indication as to compatibility,
except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement
with the owner of each element of that Product Identity.

"

Of relevance here, "You agree to not use any Product Identity."

By updating "your" product to use the ORC and a new ORE (Open RPG Engine), "you" are not using any Hasbro-WotC Product Identity.

Switching to the ORC satisfies the stipulation.

Second sentence.

"
You agree not to indicate compatibility or co-adaptability with any Trademark or Registered Trademark in conjunction with a work containing Open Game Content except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of such Trademark or Registered Trademark.

"

Of relevance here, "You agree not to indicate compatibality ... with any Trademark ... in conjunction with a work containing Open Game Content."

By updating "your" product to use the ORC and the ORE, "your" product does not contain Open Game Content.

To abandon the OGL and its Open Gaming Content, is the end of the matter.

Last edited:

mamba

Legend

By updating "your" product to use the ORC and a new ORE (Open RPG Engine), "you" are not using any Hasbro-WotC Product Identity.

no it doesn't, it releases you of the requirement not to use any WotC Product Identiy (not that this means you actually now can, it just no longer violates your license agreement...).

If you release an adventure under ORC and then use a Beholder in the adventure, then you are using WotC's product identity, and you do so in a way the OGL would not have allowed.

Second sentence.

"You agree not to indicate compatibility or co-adaptability with any Trademark or Registered Trademark in conjunction with a work containing Open Game Content except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of such Trademark or Registered Trademark."

Of relevance here, "You agree not to indicate compatibality ... with any Trademark ... in conjunction with a work containing Open Game Content."

By updating "your" product to use the ORC and the ORE, "your" product does not contain Open Game Content.

no it doesn't, see above, only now you print on your adventure 'Compatible with D&D(tm)', something the OGL would again not have allowed

maybe, but not for the reasons you are giving

Yaarel

He Mage
it just no longer violates your license agreement
Thats the point.

Suppose the OGL prevented the person oneself from using Product Identity, rather than preventing the product itself from doing so. The person still never violates the OGL, because the ORC product never uses the Open Gaming Content of the OGL.

If you release an adventure under ORC and then use a Beholder in the adventure, then you are using WotC's product identity, and you do so in a way the OGL would not have allowed.
If you release an adventure under ORC, then you never agreed to the OGL. You never committed yourself to the terms of the OGL. Your product has nothing to do with the OGL.

If your product uses a "Beholder", then the product violates normal copyright laws.

mamba

Legend
Thats the point.

[...]

If your product uses a "Beholder", then the product violates normal copyright laws.
I get that this is how it works, but doesn't that basically avoid the whole scenario we were discussing? For that you need to first have something published under OGL, and then the question becomes whether that only imposed the limitations on that one product, or on you across products. If you bypass the first step, you never entered into the agreement that is being discussed.

If all you wanted to say is that the ORC license allows you to never use the OGL (as does the CC btw), then you used a lot of words for that, but I agree ;)

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
yes this, that it binds the person to these restrictions outside the context of the document they are publishing under the OGL.

I am not saying you are reading it wrong, it’s just not something I would have even considered a possibility.
That's interesting, but a bit surprising given the words of the licence.

pemerton

Legend
If the OGL is binding then it's binding. If it's irrevocable than it's irrevocable. Parties to it have obtained a royalty free licence that WotC cannot revoke. In exchange they've made their section 7 promises to WotC.

As I've posted above, the proper construction of section 7 is not entirely straightforward, because of its use of the defined term "Use". But a party to the OGL doesn't avoid their section 7 obligation by no longer publishing under the OGL. The OGL doesn't require continuing to publish under it in order to keep it on foot.

Enrahim2

Adventurer
Lets start with the plain meaning of Section 7. An earlier post emphasizes the first two sentences, and a contrast between them.

I am using this source, as convenient reference: opengamingfoundation .org/ogl.html

First sentence.

"
7. Use of Product Identity:

You agree not to Use any Product Identity,
including as an indication as to compatibility,
except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement
with the owner of each element of that Product Identity.

"

Second sentence.

"
You agree not to indicate compatibility or co-adaptability with any Trademark or Registered Trademark in conjunction with a work containing Open Game Content except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of such Trademark or Registered Trademark.

"

Actually, doesn't this break down actually counter your argument? The second sentence explicitly refers to work containing OGC, while the first sentence do not?

It would hence seem that if you have at any point entered an ogl contract, using anything you in that contract agreed to regard as PI independent of context would constitute breach of the contract.

The reasoning for sentence 1 not being relevant hence do not strike me as strongly founded. If anything I would rather reason that if you switch your entire portfolio to ORC (hence no longer using any ogc via the OGL license), then it might rather be a question if that breach is having any practical implications? (Immediate effect seem to be that the contract terminates automatically if made aware, and I couldn't see any clause suggesting section 7 would survive termination. Hence the state seem similar to if you never accepted the ogl in the first place) But I am not a lawyer, and I woildnt be surprised if there are more subtelties than this in contract law regarding effects of such breaches.

I can add that I think such an outside your work interpretation of PI actually make sense given the context and intention around the introduction of the OGL. It appear to have been a private attempt at privately clarifying the important boundaries very murky copyright law for the rpg domain. In this light OGC is sort of intended as declaring what material you consider not "copyrightable", and in order for the licensor to conclude this, the lisensee need to assert in return that they will treat everything declared as PI to be fully "copyrightable" (with stronger protections than the laws alone provide).

Yaarel

He Mage
Actually, doesn't this break down actually counter your argument? The second sentence explicitly refers to work containing OGC, while the first sentence do not?

It would hence seem that if you have at any point entered an ogl contract, using anything you in that contract agreed to regard as PI independent of context would constitute breach of the contract.
The strength of what I am saying relies on: the existence of a new ORE ("Open RPG Engine") for the game rules.

By using this new ORE − instead of the OGL Open Game Content − one avoids having entanglement with the OGL contract.

This ORE isnt a "potation" − it isnt a translation of Hasbro-WotC intellectual property from one form to an other form. Rather, the ORE presents a game rules system − and there is no Hasbro-WotC intellectual property. It has no connection to Hasbro-WotC.

These designers who design the ORE, never use the OGL. They never enter the OGL contract. They never have an obligation to meet OGL requirements.

The legal merit of the ORE rests on normal copyright laws.

Immediate effect seem to be that the contract terminates automatically if made aware
Just to be clear. Any product that has the OGL remains in place.

The one who has rights to that product can choose to make a different version of the product for the ORE system and using the ORC license. Then two versions of the same product exist. One integrates Hasbro-WotC intellectual property, and one has nothing to do with Hasbro-WotC.

I can add that I think such an outside your work interpretation of PI actually make sense given the context and intention around the introduction of the OGL. It appear to have been a private attempt at privately clarifying the important boundaries very murky copyright law for the rpg domain. In this light OGC is sort of intended as declaring what material you consider not "copyrightable", and in order for the licensor to conclude this, the lisensee need to assert in return that they will treat everything declared as PI to be fully "copyrightable" (with stronger protections than the laws alone provide).
Yeah.

Last edited:

Remove ads