D&D 5E Oriental Adventures 5e: How would you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is a good reason to lump the Asian cultures, precisatly to be more politically correct. Somebody could use the fictional equivalent of that nation to show his own predjudices. For example the oni/mage-ogres as an analogy of the imperial Japanese invaders for the second world war, the Jiang-Shi (jumping vampires..).. Even people with the same roots can have got very different points of view, for example a Chinese-speaker from Beijing, Hong-Kong, Taiwan and Chinatown in san Francisco. Chinese censorship is very hard, and some videogames have changed some things, for example a skin of Fornite replacing the skull with other face.

---

Hasbro has got contacts and links with some Chinese, Sourth-Korean and Japanese companies. Hasbro sinceretly wants to be loved by the different Asian markets, and they are the first ones to want to avoid those troubles.

I guess the first step is to publish only "crunch", allowing other to create their own flurr/lore/background, and let's await the reaction by the rest.

(Do allow me to publish this as possible source of inspiration).

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
This is especially true where Korea/Japan/China are concerned, since their histories, culture, languages are inextricably tangled together from millennia of interaction.
The very fact that you would make this comment in support of lumping all of them together into a generic thing is exactly why the problem exists in the first place. Having lived in Korea for several years myself, this approach is highly offensive to many Koreans, who have spent literal centuries fighting to keep their culture alive from invaders (Japan on several occasions). I'm sure your "I'm not offended" by lumping them together gives little comfort to the people you're talking about. You're talking about a culture that literally, on more than one occasion, suffered from occupiers that tried to erase their history, culture, and even language from existence. So just lumping them into Japan/Chinese hybrid is...very problematic to say the least.

Filthy Lucre

Adventurer
The very fact that you would make this comment in support of lumping all of them together into a generic thing is exactly why the problem exists in the first place. Having lived in Korea for several years myself, this approach is highly offensive to many Koreans, who have spent literal centuries fighting to keep their culture alive from invaders (Japan on several occasions). I'm sure your "I'm not offended" by lumping them together gives little comfort to the people you're talking about.
Bold of you to assume my cultural heritage.

Does Korean culture, Japanese culture, and Chinese culture skew more collectivist, or more individualistic? Since you lived in Korea you know the answer to this question; I just don't know whether or not you've got the intellectual honesty to admit it. Because if the answer is 'yes' then I am correct in saying that common threads run through their culture and it demonstrates you're just outrage mongering/splitting hairs.

Retreater

Legend
I like the way Coyote & Crow and Harlem Unbound are doing it. Get a group of talented creators from that background. Let them organize it and tell their story. Let them tell gamers how to play it respectfully and to educate us who are open to learning.
In the case of what's happened in D&D until now, let them take what they want and drop the rest.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Bold of you to assume my cultural heritage.

where in my quote did I assume what your heritage is? Point it out please?
Does Korean culture, Japanese culture, and Chinese culture skew more collectivist, or more individualistic? Since you lived in Korea you know the answer to this question; I just don't know whether or not you've got the intellectual honesty to admit it.

That has nothing to do with how they are portrayed in the game, from artwork to text to other presentations. And you know it, since that's the topic of what this discussion is about. Hint: don't accuse others of lacking in intellectual honest immediately after making a strawman.

Filthy Lucre

Adventurer
where in my quote did I assume what your heritage is? Point it out please?

That has nothing to do with how they are portrayed in the game, from artwork to text to other presentations. And you know it, since that's the topic of what this discussion is about.
1.) "...comfort to the people you're talking about." Implicitly assumes I am other than those people.
2.) The topic has clearly shifted toward whether or not, in premise, "it is ok to draw from many different, but unarguably interconnected, cultures to create a bastardized analog". So my comments are entirely on point. To make it very clear since I think you, (intentionally), missed my point is that there DO exist common threads among Eastern cultures to draw from just as there DO exist common threads among Western cultures to draw from.

Sacrosanct

Legend
1.) "...comfort to the people you're talking about." Implicitly assumes I am other than those people.
2.) The topic has clearly shifted toward whether or not, in premise, "it is ok to draw from many different, but inarguably interconnected, cultures to create a bastardized analog". So my comments are entirely on point.

Inferring that you're not Korean is not the same as inferring or assuming what your heritage is. Those are different things.

And no, your comment is not on point, because it displays a huge ignorance of the history of that region.

Stormonu

Legend
The very fact that you would make this comment in support of lumping all of them together into a generic thing is exactly why the problem exists in the first place. Having lived in Korea for several years myself, this approach is highly offensive to many Koreans, who have spent literal centuries fighting to keep their culture alive from invaders (Japan on several occasions). I'm sure your "I'm not offended" by lumping them together gives little comfort to the people you're talking about. You're talking about a culture that literally, on more than one occasion, suffered from occupiers that tried to erase their history, culture, and even language from existence. So just lumping them into Japan/Chinese hybrid is...very problematic to say the least.
So I guess it would be a problem if we mix French and German in a fantasy environment?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I don't see you responding to the substantive/on topic portion of my post.

I'm struggling to find the substance of your post. Yes, these countries all border each other and have a degree of shared history. Beyond that, I find there is little that unites these countries that merits them lumped into the same book. I don't even think the "collective vs. individualistic" thing is even true for some of these countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads