'Origin' of Your User Name

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
California Pizza Kitchen used to- and may still- have a policy that waitstaff name badges were supposed to use the server’s first name and- instead of their actual surname- their birthplace. At least, that’s what my server, Danny Alcatraz, told me.

Then he admitted that “Alcatraz” sounded better than “San Francisco “.

i asked him if I could use the name in a cyberpunk story I was writing, and he said yes.

Well, I liked the character I came up with, but not the story he was in. Or the next try. Or the next.

A year or two late, when I first decided to try out using a couple of message boards on the internet, I decided to use...an abbreviated form of my email. But after those boards radically altered their ToS, I left them.

When I found ENWorld shortly thereafter, I was typing in that same username and paused...thought...and repurposed my cyberpunk character‘s name. I use it almost everywhere I am recreating online. The exception: I use a different name for online games.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It’s mostly a Doctor Who reference that turned out cromulent enough to stick.

But also it works because I am, by turns, very detached, introspective, and studious, and very “wild”, impulsive, and passionate. So, the dichotomy of the name fits.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Lanefan was for a very long time my longest-serving and best-known character: a no-BS Fighter who would argue with anyone. Seemed appropriate for a discussion board. :)

As for the name itself, it comes from a language I and some others waved at inventing many years ago and never did anything with: in that language 'La' means 'Man' and 'Nefan' means 'Moon'; Lanefan thus means 'Man [of the] moon'...which also fits well. :)

Also, this means it's pronounced in three syllables: lan-ef-an. Can't count how many times I've heard it pronounced as if I'm a supporter of someone named Lane...
You never struck me as a fan of Lane.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
So, it was back when I was 15 or thereabout, my girlfriend used to call me Rat, as I was tiny, cute and brought madness, chaos and destruction in my wake. It was easily inferred that she referred to the black rat. So, then came along internet forums and such, and I started to use it pretty much everywhere. Now ENW is pretty much the last place that I still use it 😂

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Mine is based on a Twilight 2000 doctor/medic character I had that we played using the GURPS system. One of his disadvantages was Clueless. He was super fun to play.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
California Pizza Kitchen used to- and may still- have a policy that waitstaff name badges were supposed to use the server’s first name and- instead of their actual surname- their birthplace.
So that they could more easily hack into their staff’s online accounts?

At least they didn’t insist on including their first pet’s name, too!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases