• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Original 4E Monsters

Cpt_Micha

First Post
The Pangolin

Our first monster in the new monster's bestiary, is a creation of mine based off of a real life animal. (from my forum. My first mount based monster!)

The Pangolin.
Pangolins are usually small insect eating animals. However in Aegir large insects plague outer territory particularly in the warm desert and jungles. The Pangolins from these regions have been altered and selectively bred in such a way that they are larger and domesticated into being faithful battlemounts. Pangolins usually will prefer to hunt in packs against the larger beetles and insects. Their use was frequent during Aegir's prime but have since as they have for the rest of the world of Talsidias have become near myths.

pangolin.jpg

Pangolin Level 1 Brute. Large
Initiative+1 Senses +5 Perception low light vision.
Hp 36/36 Bloodied 18
Speed 8. Ac 14, Fort 15, Reflex 13, Will 10
Attacks Claw +4vs Ac 1d6+4.
Defensive spines when bloodied Pangolins use their sharp edged plates upon their attackers close 1. 1d8+6
Str 19 (+4) Con 16 (+3) Dex 13 (+1) Int 2 (-4) Wis 11 (+0) Cha 9 (-1)

Battle Pangolin Level 3 Soldier. Large
Initiative +5, Senses +8 Perception Low light vision.
Hp 47/47 Bloodied 23 Surge 11 Surge perday (if used by someone with a healing ability) 1
Speed 8, Ac 21, Fort 16, Ref 14, Will 14
Attacks Claw +6vs Ac 1d6+5. Claw rake. Upon hitting after a move the Battle Pangolin rears up and makes a second more deadly rake of it's claws. +15vs Reflex deals 1d10+3 damage.
Sharp Flanks at will. If the enemy attacks the rider they take five points of damage unless they are using a reach, or ranged weapon or spell.
Str 21 (+6) Con 18 (+5) Dex 14 (+3) Int 2 (-3) Wis 14 (+3) Cha 10 (+1)

keterys

First Post
Hey Keterys. How'd the Hydra work out for you, btw? It looks fairly nasty.

I love the hydra head swarm. That's a brilliant idea.

It worked out quite well in play. It got off 2 head regrowths, but they were good about searing the stumps in general - they used a chunk of healing (group of 4 level 3s with a level 3 NPC) but not too crazy. I loved their reactions to the heads, though. That surprised them :)

keterys

First Post
Well, I would have posted these three yesterday, but site was down...

Death's Blades are immortal servants that are tasked with the collection of lives, especially those who have avoided their fated death.

58.jpg

DeathsBladeMinion.JPG

Heralds of Harmony are fey creatures of peace bound to do no harm to any creature. They often ally with heroes, but their numbers are few as Fomorians consider them both rich entertainment and a delicacy.

10.jpg

HeraldOfHarmony.JPG

The Storm Prince is a creature born of elemental chaos that is drawn to exploration and adventure. While not evil, he likes a good combat or insult challenge. If impressed, he throws lavish parties at his keep that straddles both sides of a gate to the Elemental Chaos. He often has uses for others in helping him avoid difficulties with Efreet or Demons, as well.

13.jpg

StormPrince.JPG

chronoplasm

First Post
Hi!
I'm wondering if somebody could help me with this.

I need flying jars that shoot lasers.
These jars are animated by the ghost of whatever dead thing is contained within them.
These jars can contain eyes, heads, brains, deformed fetuses, all sorts of stuff.
I would like to be able to use these as level 1 minions and/or artillery.

Rechan

Adventurer
You sure do like your elemental thingies, Keterys! :)

Say. If the Herald of Harmony are all about peace,t hen why are they getting into combats?

keterys

First Post
Because they're the ones who didn't lay down and die when things went bad, before :) They defend themselves by putting everyone to sleep, then escape mostly. They sometimes assist in "enforcing" peace by causing fights to stop.

Now I'm seeing a real need to have one of these at a real rough and tumble bar, to keep things from getting _too_ out of hand. ;)

Anyhow,
Laser Brain in a Jar, Level 1 Minion
Init +0
Senses Perception +3; blindsight 5
AC 13; Fortitude 10, Reflex 13, Will 15
Speed 1, fly (hover) 4

:ranged: Lasers (standard; at-will) * Radiant
+4 vs. Reflex; 4 radiant damage.

Alignment Evil
Languages Common, Telepathy 10
Skills Insight +8
Str 4 (-3) Dex 11 (+0) Wis 17 (+3)
Con 10 (+0) Int 16 (+3) Cha 18 (+4)

Adjust as desired ;)

chronoplasm

First Post
Thank you! It's perfect!

Hey, you could have one of these laser jars in that rough-and-tumble bar animated by the vengeant ghosts of the pigs tethered to their pickled feet within!

Rechan

Adventurer
Is there an efficient way to cut and paste those statblocks into something? Copying them into Word doesn't seem to like that (they're either too small, or editing them becomes bothersome). You aren't putting them in a PDF, are you?

One thing I would like to see more of are templates. Just because I think there are too few of them. :)

Keep up the good stuff, Keterys!

keterys

First Post
I actually do them originally in Word, then print them into a pdf and snapshot out of that for the pic. Everything still chugging along slooowly towards a big pdf and I've been releasing interim ones...

I'll give some thought on something a bit more timely, since obviously I'm not hitting the deadline I wanted :)

keterys

First Post
A different sort of naga than the MM one - but something for folks who only do low level games to do with Marilith minis ;) It's a fey creature fed tainted blood in a ritual that corrupts its soul and gives it tremendous strength and a thirst for blood. It almost never coup de graces, because it likes to drink the blood of fresh kills so it takes care of all enemies then feeds.

55.jpg

BloodSoulNaga.JPG

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads