• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Original 4E Monsters

Rechan

Adventurer
Oh snap! I like that! But then, I love solo monsters.

Although, I note that your solos are brutes. I would like to see a low-ish level solo artillery, skirmisher or lurker.

keterys

First Post
Hmm, there was a level 6 and level 11 solo I posted with the artillery pdf (check post 1). No lurker solos sprang to mind yet. Clearly, need to work on that.

I have some concerns about the damage output on the bloodsoul naga, but 4e characters really are very tough - whenever I think something might be over the top, they still pull it together :)

keterys

First Post
Revisiting two templates I created before the rules were out and updating. Not big updates, but necessary nonetheless (nothing else because confuse doesn't exist!) - also a level 2 solo salamander because someone needed one for a game and so I did a quick convert so may as well post it.

Devourer-spawn

The Devourer is a horrific entity from the Far Realms whose tentacles drag reality and the Far Realms closer together. When a creature dies in an area touched by the Devourer's power, it may be reborn as a tool of the Devourer.

"Devourer-spawn" is a template you can add to any living creature.

Devourer-spawn

aberrant
XP Elite

Senses Blindsight 5
Defenses +2 AC; +2 Fortitude, +4 Will
Saving Throws +2
Action Point 1
Hit Points Add additional hit points for a monster of this level and type (see the “Monster Statistics by Role” table on page 184 of the Dungeon Master's Guide)
Regeneration 5 at 1st level, 10 at 11th level, 15 at 21st level. If the devourer-spawn is critically hit, its regeneration does not function for the encounter.

POWERS
:bmelee:Tentacles (standard; at-will)
Reach 2 (4 if Huge or larger); Level + 5 vs. AC; 1d8 + Strength modifier damage and the target is pulled 2 squares.
:ranged: Seed of Insanity (minor; recharge 5 6) * Psychic
Ranged 5; Level + 2 vs. Will; 1d8 + Charisma modifier psychic damage and the target is dazed (save ends). Failed Save: the target is also dominated until the end of its next turn.
Far Step (move; recharge 5 6)
Teleport 10 squares.

Flameblessed
Flameblessed are the chosen instruments of a higher power associated with fire, usually either an appropriate god, an archdevil, demon prince, or a primordial. They are more easily excitable, impulsive, and devastating in melee.

In some cases this template is acquired as a form of punishment, in which cases the endless burning causes pain. In other cases, it is a gift that gives constant pleasure. Rarely is the personality of a creature unaffected by this template.

"Flameblessed" is a template that can add to any creature. It best complements a melee oriented monster.

Flameblessed Elite Brute or Soldier
XP Elite

Defenses +2 AC; +2 Fortitude, +2 Reflex
Resist 5 + 1/2 level fire
Saving Throws +2
Action Point 1
Hit Points +10 per level + Constitution score (brute) or +8 per level + Constitution score (soldier)
Speed Increase all movement speeds except swim by 2.

POWERS
Fire Aura (Fire) Aura 2
Any enemy that enters or starts its turn in the aura takes 5 fire damage.

Flame Weapons
Add 1d6 fire damage to any melee attack a flameblessed makes. Add the fire keyword to every melee power. As a free action, the flameblessed may choose to make all damage from any of its melee attacks deal fire damage.

Searing Retribution
Opportunity attacks gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls and add ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).

Actually, I still think solos are one of the weaker aspects of the system (not surprising for a system that tries to get you to move away from fighting one monster at a time), but someone wanted a level 2 solo salamander. So, presto - simple adaptation from a Normal 14 to a Solo 2:

Salamander Lancer
Level 2 Solo Brute
Large elemental humanoid (fire, reptile)
XP 625

Init +3
Senses Perception +2

HP 172; Bloodied 86; see also bloodied whirlwind
AC 20; Fortitude 18, Reflex 15, Will 14
Resist 15 fire
Saving Throws + 5
Speed 6
Action Points 2

:bmelee: Longspear (standard; at-will) * Fire, Weapon
Reach 3; +6 vs. AC; 1d8 + 5 damage and ongoing 3 fire damage (save ends).
:melee: Tail Lash (immediate reaction, when damaged by an attack; at-will) * Fire
Reach 2; +4 vs. AC; 1d6 + 5 fire damage and the target slides 1 square.
:melee: Salamander Frenzy (standard; at-will) * Fire, Weapon
The salamander lancer makes a longspear and tail lash attack against two separate targets. It may shift 1 square before making each attack.
:close: Whirlwind of Fire (standard; recharge 4 5 6) * Fire
Requires longspear; close burst 3; +6 vs. AC; 1d8 + 5 damage and ongoing 3 fire damage (save ends) and the target is pushed 1 square.
Bloodied Whirlwind (when first bloodied; encounter)
The salamander lancer recharges whirlwind of fire and may immediately use it.

Str 21 (+6) Dex 14 (+3) Wis 13 (+2)
Con 19 (+5) Int 9 (+0) Cha 11 (+1)

I don't know why they keep being brutes. I'm just, like, converting modules and helping out other people :)

keterys

First Post
Caller_of_Darkness.jpg

Fell Screamer

Level 10 Blaster
Hazard
XP 500

Fell screamers are trapped collections of souls, screaming in torment and seeking release. They may find a way to emerge from a nearby corpse or they may be bound to a particular location or creature. They are associated with the Shadowfell.

Hazard: A fell screamer lurks within an area of 2 squares by 2 squares. When triggered, it releases a howling column of souls.

Perception
DC 20 to hear the pleading whispers of the souls. DC 25 to pinpoint its square before moving within 5 squares of it.
Additional Skill: Religion
DC 20: The character identifies the fell screamer.
Initiative +5
Trigger: The fell screamer rolls initiative when one or more characters move within 5 squares or any living creature dies within 20 squares. At the end of its turn each round, it may teleport up to 20 squares to a square containing a dead or dying creature.

Attack * Necrotic, Fear
Standard Action Close
burst 5
Targets: Living creatures in burst
Attack: +13 vs. Fortitude; 3d6 + 5 necrotic damage and the target is immobilized (save ends).
Effect: Undead in the burst gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls.

Countermeasures
A character may avoid triggering the Fell Screamer with a DC 20 Stealth check.
* A character who makes a DC 25 Religion or Intimidate check as a standard action will prevent the fell screamer from attacking on its next turn. A failed Religion or Intimidate check means that this countermeasure may no longer be attempted.
* The fell screamer may be temporarily dispersed by attacking it: All defenses 22, 100 hp, and vulnerability 10 radiant.

Upgrade to Elite (1000 XP)
Increase the DCs by 2
* Saves against the attack are made with a -2 penalty.
* Undead in the burst gain a +5 bonus to damage rolls.

keterys

First Post
Guardian_Mummy.jpg

SandCursedMummy.JPG

Perhaps too much of a tribute to the movie, but still fun. It getting slower and easier to hit at bloodied I figured due to starting to fall apart.
Rot_Scarab_Swarm.jpg

DeathScarabSwarm.JPG

Last edited:

keterys

First Post
I think I might drop the regen and despair, which I added just to be common with the existing mummies but didn't have in any form in the original idea... the regen in particular works weird with the idea of bloodied mattering.

Love the new monsters. No pressure, just wondering when you think that you'll have them in a pdf for release? I saw the old one from May, but know that you have changed a lot of things since then. Keep up the great work.

keterys

First Post
I'm not certain. I really didn't correctly estimate how long it takes to make them pretty and pdf-ed; not surprising since I'd _never_ done any of that before, but I also didn't estimate very well how much of my, like, 1 hour a day of free time I'd lose when 4E kicked in and my 1.5 active games turned into 3.5

That said, I'm actually extremely bothered (like, I really wanted to have it done before Gen Con so I could show it off to my friends) by how slow it's been so I'm planning to kick myself on this somehow.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads