D&D 5E Original Adventures Reincarnated, does the new list of future D&D books hint at what may be the next OAR.

darjr

I crit!
Does the list of new WotC books telegraph the next OAR or hint at possibilities?

EF054913-ACFE-4F0E-8405-3C1C23312CE7.png

I’m not sure why it would.

The only relationship that the OAR line has ever had to the WotC-produced content for 5e is that if WotC has published their own 5e update of a classic module (or has definite plans to do so), it’s apparently off-limits to Goodman.

This doesn’t apply to “reinventions” of classic modules, only direct conversions. So, for example, Goodman was able to do Temple of Elemental Evil even though WotC had “adapted” it loosely as Princes of the Apocalypse, but they can’t do Against the Giants, Tomb of Horrors, etc., because WotC converted those in Tales from the Yawning Portal.

Or at least, that used to be the case; I’ve seen speculation that Against the Giants may indeed be coming to OAR soon. If that turns out to be true, then there really would no longer be any relationship between OAR and the regular 5e books.

Regardless, since it seems that none of the just-announced books contains any classic module conversions, I don’t think these announcements shed any light at all on the future of the OAR line.

darjr

I crit!

The only relationship that the OAR line has ever had to the WotC-produced content for 5e is that if WotC has published their own 5e update of a classic module (or has definite plans to do so), it’s apparently off-limits to Goodman.

This doesn’t apply to “reinventions” of classic modules, only direct conversions. So, for example, Goodman was able to do Temple of Elemental Evil even though WotC had “adapted” it loosely as Princes of the Apocalypse, but they can’t do Against the Giants, Tomb of Horrors, etc., because WotC converted those in Tales from the Yawning Portal.

Or at least, that used to be the case; I’ve seen speculation that Against the Giants may indeed be coming to OAR soon. If that turns out to be true, then there really would no longer be any relationship between OAR and the regular 5e books.

Regardless, since it seems that none of the just-announced books contains any classic module conversions, I don’t think these announcements shed any light at all on the future of the OAR line.
That’s the point of the thread.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

Given what WotC is printing next year what does that possibly leave for an OAR?

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Well, actually...OAR #2 was pretty sickly designed to coincide with Ghosts of Saltmarsh, in retrospect.

Don't think this lineup suggests anything, but it may in hindsight?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That’s the point of the thread.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

Given what WotC is printing next year what does that possibly leave for an OAR?
Just about anything? For one thing, WotC idea of revisiting a classic Adventure now is Lost Mines of Phandelver, sooo...Goodman might not have to compete with WotC product schedule at all, if they still have access to the IP.

ADQ would be a surprise, but interesting.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
The next OAR, which will be published in the summer of 2023, is Dark Tower. After that, they are going to do Caverns of Thracia. So, whatever plans there might be (assuming there are any) for a TSR adventure, they are not imminent.

darjr

I crit!
Just about anything? For one thing, WotC idea of revisiting a classic Adventure now is Lost Mines of Phandelver, sooo...Goodman might not have to compete with WotC product schedule at all, if they still have access to the IP.

ADQ would be a surprise, but interesting.
Wow! You’re right. WotCs Lost Mine book is a classic revisited!

Classic!

Remove ads