• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Original Creations Compilations (contributions welcome)

malcolm_n

Adventurer
The warlock

Since we don't have everything for them yet, here's my write-up on the warlock for anybody who wants to start playtesting some of their abilities.

Warlock
Role: Striker
Power Source: Arcane
Key Abilities: Charisma, Constitution
Armor Training: Leather
Weapon Proficiencies:
Bonus to Defenses: +2 Will
HP per level gained: 5 HP/level
Healing Surges: 6 + Constitution Modifier
Trained Skills: Any four skills
Available Skills: Pick four skills from the following list: Arcana, Bluff, Diplomacy, Insight, Intimidate, Nature, Planes, Perception, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery
Build Options: Demonic Pact, Fey Pact, Star Pact

Class Features:
Often the lone wolf, warlocks are at once admired and feared for their auspicious abilities and the ancient deals that gifted them. At one time, the forefathers of the warlocks bargained with outside beings of great power to harness magic in ways unforeseen.
While your party may accept you as an equal and comrade, others are less open to their preconceptions about your past. The word, “evil,” is thrown around loosely when speaking of you, even if you are not so. Only through greater acts do you often prove your worth, and even then, many worry you’ll turn on them at a moment’s notice.
In combat, you try to burn down your enemies, often literally, as quickly as you can. You have some tricks up your sleeve to avoid confronting foes head on.
Characteristics: You’ll rely heavily on your Eldritch Blast, regardless of your pact (see below). Use it to good advantage and keep an eye out for the opportunity to give an edge to your allies as well.

Religion: Warlocks differ greatly in their views of religion. You may worship those who grant you power; or you may despise them and so worship their counterpart. Depending on your predilections, you may not worship anybody, relying on your own capabilities to get you along.

Races: Any race could have warlocks in its midst. The forebear of a PC dragonborn may have offered himself to a perceived resource for his clan. Elves and orcs may look to a fey entity for help in their lands. Tieflings, especially, are both well versed in and well suited for demonic pacts.

The pact a warlock makes drives his motives and the powers he gains therein. Even though he may deny the path, it is usually there nonetheless and reminds him always of deeds past.

Demonic Pact Warlock: Your powers are drawn from the elemental chaos. Whether by design or accident, you receive abilities gifted from demons and other beings within this
Suggested Feat: Demonic Pact (Fiendish Flamewreath) (human feat: Toughness)
Suggested Skills: Intimidate, Planes, Perception, Streetwise
Suggested At-Will Powers: Eldritch Blast, Chill Touch
Suggested Encounter Power: Scorch
Suggested Daily Power: Glare of the Pit

Fey Pact Warlock: Your abilities hail from a patron within the feywild. You generally use them to subterfuge the enemy so that you can better attack them.
Suggested Feat: Action Surge (human feat: Human Perseverance)
Suggested Skills: Bluff, Nature, Stealth, Thievery
Suggested At-Will Powers: Eldritch Blast, Eyebite
Suggested Encounter Power: Witchfire
Suggested Daily Power: Curse of the Dark Dream

Star Pact Warlock: There is something out there, in the darkness between the stars. It gives you the power you wield against foes while granting additional benefits to you for doing so.
Suggested Feat: Eldritch Essence (Sickening Blast) (human feat: Fleet Footed)
Suggested Skills: Arcana, Diplomacy, Insight, Perception
Suggested At-Will Powers: Eldritch Blast, Starfire
Suggested Encounter Power: Black Tentacles
Suggested Daily Power: Descent into Madness

All Warlocks share these class features.
You, or somebody from whom you descend, have bargained with the entities greater than you. Their blessing has granted you great power. So too has it changed your outlook and mannerisms both in solitude and company. Select one of the following options. You can use only one pact feature per round even if you meet the requirements for several.

* Demonic Pact (Fiendish Resistance): When you reduce an enemy under your warlock’s curse to 0 hit points or fewer, you gain resistance 5 against one of the following until the end of your next round: Acid, cold, electricity, fire, sonic, or weapons.

* Fey Pact (Misty Step): When you reduce an enemy under your warlock’s curse to 0 hit points or fewer, you can teleport 3 squares as a free action.

* Star Pact (Alien Blessing): When you reduce an enemy under your warlock’s curse to 0 hit points or fewer, you gain a +1 to all defenses until the end of your next round.
Prime Shot: If none of your allies are nearer to your target than you, you gain a +1 to ranged attacks against the target.

Warlock’s Curse: Once per turn as a minor action, place a curse on the enemy nearest you; you do +1d6 damage on the enemy. This ability lasts until the end of the encounter or your enemy is defeated.

Your powers are called spells, since they are from the arcane source. You usually have an implement in your hand when you use your powers, but it’s not required.

At-Will Powers

Eldritch Blast
Warlock (All) Attack 1
You fire a bolt of dark, crackling eldritch energy at your foe.
At Will Arcane, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 10
Target: One Creature
Attack: Cha vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d10 + Cha damage
Special: This power counts as a ranged basic attack. When a power allows you to make a ranged basic attack, you can use this power.

Eye Bite
Warlock (Fey) Attack 1
You glare at your enemy, and your eyes briefly gleam with brilliant colors. Your foe reels under your mental assault and you vanish from his sight.
At Will Arcane, Charm, Implement, Psychic
Attack: Cha vs. Will
Hit: 1d6 + Cha psychic damage and you are invisible to the target until the start of your next turn.

Fiendish Glare of the Pit
Acolyte of Chaos Attack 21
In your pursuit of chaos, you have honed your pact and your powers derived therein to perfection.
At Will Arcane
Immediate Action (Interrupt)
Trigger: A creature successfully attacks you.
Effect: The attacking creature takes 3d8 + Cha damage.

Scare
Warlock (All) Attack 1
Your target cannot take its eyes off of you, thinking you are its greatest fear.
At Will Arcane, Implement
Hit: 1d6 + Cha and target takes a -2 to its reflex defense until the start of your next turn.
Special: Your target must be able to see you.

Chill Touch
Warlock (Demon) Attack 1
Cold preternaturally extends from your grasp and creeps into the enemy’s bones.
At Will Arcane, Implement, Necrotic
Standard Action Melee Grab
Attack: Cha vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d6 + Cha necrotic damage and target slowed until the start of your next turn (save ends).

Starfire
Warlock (Star) Attack 1
A burst of light surrounds the enemy and bursts in a shower of white flame.
At will Arcane, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action Ranged 15
Hit: 1d6 + Cha radiant damage and ongoing 1 radiant damage (save ends)

Encounter Powers

Black Tentacles
Warlock (Star) Attack 1
A writhing mass of tentacles springs from your target and tries to hinder action.
Encounter Arcane, Implement, Conjuration
Attack: Cha vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d4 + Cha damage and target is encumbered (move reduced to 4)
Sustain Minor: Cha damage and target is encumbered (save ends).

Scorch
Warlock (Demon) Attack 1
A swath of flame erupts from the ground extending past you to burn your enemy.
Encounter Arcane, Implement, Fire
Standard Action Line 5
Target: All in line (see special)
Hit: 2d6 + Cha fire damage and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends)
Special: This attack strikes targets in order from closest to furthest. It stops after the first successful attack.

Touch of Idiocy
Warlock (All) Attack 1
Your attack leaves your target momentarily unaware of what to do next.
Encounter Arcane, Implement
Standard Action
Hit: 1[W] + Cha damage and target is dazed until the start of your next turn.

Witchfire
Warlock (Fey) Attack 1
Encounter Arcane, Fire, Implement
Hit: 2d6 + Cha fire damage and the target takes a -4 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

Daily Powers

Curse of the Dark Dream
Warlock (Fey) Attack 1
Daily Arcane, Charm, Implement, Psychic
Hit: 3d8 + Cha psychic damage, and you slide the target 3 squares.
Sustain Minor: You slide the target 1 square, whether you hit or miss (save ends).

Descent into Madness
Warlock (Star) Attack 1
Visions of depravity litter your enemy’s mind.
Daily Arcane, Implement, Charm
Target: Once Creature
Hit: 2d6 + Cha damage and the target is confused
Sustain Standard: 2d6 + Cha damage and target is confused (save ends).

Glare of the Pit
Warlock (Demon) Attack 1
Blackness overtakes your eyes, causing pain to those who would look upon you.
Daily Arcane
Immediate Action (Interrupt)
Trigger: A creature successfully attacks you.
Effect: The attacking creature takes 3d8 + Cha damage.
Special: You may use this ability twice per day, but only once per attack.
I know, lotta work. I'm getting started on the Site tomorrow. Gnight for now :)

malcolm_n

Adventurer
and one associated feat.

Demonic Pact (Fiendish Flamewreath)
Your patron gifts you with a fiery ward when you defeat a foe in combat.
Tier: Heroic
Benefit: When you reduce an enemy under your warlock’s curse to 0 hit points or fewer, enemies moving within one square of you take 1d6 fire damage until the start of your next turn.
Special: You may only use one Pact feature per round, even if you meet the requirements for several.

VBMEW-01

First Post
FitzTheRuke said:
I posted these on my thread "Am I going to TPK" and I'd like to ask everyone here to comment on them if you will (there might be better to leave this thread to more stuff)

Anyway, I'll post 'em here to so VB can PDF 'em when he's got time:

Post them all here, we want them! No, but really its good if you want to, I'd like to put everything I can in these files. And maybe you (with the sheer number of monsters you are cranking out) will be better served by an individual tome (like I did for Keterys) once we leave beta.

Oh I never got any feedback on the new monstrousOCC, did it look alright or was it blurred. I can't really tell but I have a concern.

Malcolm that's good work there. I'll drop it in the class book, but I'm gonna take your powers and put them over into the powers book (since you'll probably be wanting to scrap the warlock (unless its very different) in June). I considered doing that with the barbarian? Any thoughts?

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Frost Giant Raider Level 11 Elite Soldier (1 Action Point)
Large Natural Humanoid 1200 XP
Initiative -1 Senses: Perception +12
HP: 165 Bloodied: 82 Vulnerability (Fire 5) Resistance (Cold 10)
AC 25 Fort 29 Ref 20 Will 22
Speed: 8
m Large Greataxe (Standard, At-Will)
+14 vs. AC; 2d10+9 dmg (Crit 29+d10), Reach 2
M Stomp (Minor, At-Will) Only works on opponents that are Prone
+14 vs. Reflex; 2d6+9 dmg
M Follow Through (Immediate, At-Will)
When the Frost Giant makes an attack with his Greataxe, as an immediate reaction, he may make another attack with the great axe to another enemy within reach.
M Blood Frenzy (Immediate, Encounter)
Make a Large Greataxe attack when first bloodied as an immediate reaction
R Hurled Boulder (Standard, Encounter, Recharge 5,6) Burst 1
+14 vs. Reflex; 2d10+9 dmg, Range 20 Max 40
Miss : Target takes half damage
B Frost Breath (Standard, Encounter, Recharge 6) Close Blast 3
+10 vs. Fortitude; 2d6+5 Cold Dmg and enemy is knocked prone and slowed
Miss: Target takes half damage
Alignment: Evil, Languages: Giant? Common
Skills : Perception +12, Intimidate +10, Athletics +23
Str 29 (+14), Dex 9 (+4), Wis 14 (+7)
Con 21 (+10), Int 10 (+5), , Cha 11 (+5)

Clight101

First Post
Ettin Level 8 elite Brute
Large humanoid (Giant) XP 700
Initiative +2 Senses Perception +8, Low Light vision
HP 280 Bloodied 140
AC 21 Fort 23 Ref 17 Will 15
Speed 6

Duel actions - Each head goes on seperate initiatives.
Hard to surprise - You have to gain combat advantage on both heads in order to gain combat advantage on the Ettin.

Head 1
m Club (Standard, At-Will) reach 2, Weapon, +13 vs AC; 1d12 +6 and pushed 1 square
m Sweeping attack (Standard, recharge 5,6) Weapon, You sweep your club across the front of you bashing everything in its path; Make a standard attack on three adjacent squares that are adjacent to you and targets are knocked prone instead of pushed.

Head 2
m Mace (Standard, At-Will) reach 2, Weapon, +15 vs AC; 1D8 +6 damage
m Overpower (standard, Recharge 6) Weapon, +12 vs reflex ; An overhand smash that ignores armor; 2d8+6 and knocked prone.

Earthquake (Reaction, when first bloodied) Burst 4. The Ettin leaps into the air and lands smashing his club and mace into the ground as he lands causing the ground to wave out; +10 vs Reflex, on hit target is knocked prone, on miss pushed 1 square. Target can choose to fall prone instead of being pushed.

Skills: Perception +8, Endurance +15
Str 22 (+6) Con 20 (+5) Dex 12 (+1) Int 8 (-1) Wis 12 (+1) Cha 10 (0)

Last edited:

malcolm_n

Adventurer
No worries on the warlock, Go for it. Iwas just wanting to include the fluff for potential testers. As to the barbarian, we probably won't see him for some time. With that in mind, keeping the full write-up until more news is let out would be prefered; by me anyway. Up to you in the long run.

Monstrous OCC looked fine to me on a bad computer. Like what you did with the monsters; and cool pic for the keeper

FitzTheRuke

Legend
VBMEW-01 said:
Post them all here, we want them! No, but really its good if you want to, I'd like to put everything I can in these files. And maybe you (with the sheer number of monsters you are cranking out) will be better served by an individual tome (like I did for Keterys) once we leave beta.

Yes please! But let me update 'em all once we get the books.

Here's a gorilla... anyone think it's not tough enough for a solo?

Giant Gorilla Level 2 Solo Brute
Large Natural Beast XP 625
Initiative +3 Senses Perception +3
HP 240 Bloodied 120 Speed 8
AC 17 Fort 17 Ref 15 Will 14
m Slam (Standard, At-Will)
Reach 2, +8 vs AC; 1D10 + 5 damage
M Double Attack and Knockback (Standard, At-Will)
Make two Slam Attacks if both hit target is pushed 1 square and knocked prone
Toss You Aside (Minor, when an adjacent enemy becomes bloodied)
+8 vs Reflex; 1D6 + 5 damage and slide 4 squares and knocked prone
Thundering Roar (Minor, Recharge 5, 6) Thunder
Close Burst 3; +6 vs Fort; 1D4 + 4 thunder damage and target is pushed 1 square
Bound (Move, At-Will)
Giant Gorilla may shift up to 2 squares
Big and Heavy (Special)
The Gorilla moves 1 square less from forced movement
Can’t Be Bothered (Immediate Reaction)
When first bloodied, Gorilla will immediately move its speed away. On its turn it will leave. If attacked it may recharge Thundering Roar and use it as an immediate action.
Str 20 (+6) Con 18 (+5) Dex 14 (+3) Int 5 (-2) Wis 12 (+2) Cha 15 (+4)

Thanks
Fitz

mrrodgers

First Post
Hey, malcolm, would you consider adding my earth ele 'lock stuff to your write up?

Note: As to the comments made about my 'lock stuff bleeding into controller territory, I know. It was purely intentional. I wanted to mess around a bit with 3/4 hybrid roles. It should be apparent from the abilities, that he is still mostly a striker, but he uses a couple controller-like abilities to supplement his concentrated damage. (a la earthbind) If I didn't, well, he would be different from the others only in name.

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
Hello, I have some contributions that I would like to submit to this thread.

Firstly, I would like to show off the Races of Final Fantasy that I designed to be roughly balanced against the core 4e races as per the information we know in the Pre-Release Rules Compilation.

Secondly, I would like to show you the magic items that I have created for 4e. I have no way of being able to balance them, naturally, or tell how useful they are or how correct their syntax is. However, I wish to present them none the less. (This link leads to Gleemax. If this is unacceptable, please inform me.)

Remove ads