Orr Group's Roll20 Stats Q2 2019 Use New Method; Cthulhu Up, D&D/PF Down

Roll20 has posted its latest usage stats for Quarter 2, 2019, using a new method. Instead of only using "user selection data", they are now looking at the usage of character sheets across their 4 million accounts. As always, D&D comes in first, and is followed by Pathfinder and Call of Cthulhu (which rank differently based on whether you are looking at players or campaigns). The new counting method has resulted in some changes!

Roll20 has posted its latest usage stats for Quarter 2, 2019, using a new method. Instead of only using "user selection data", they are now looking at the usage of character sheets across their 4 million accounts. As always, D&D comes in first, and is followed by Pathfinder and Call of Cthulhu (which rank differently based on whether you are looking at players or campaigns). The new counting method has resulted in some changes!

tumblr_bcab2a189617f303e183d717d34d36bd_3574c11e_500.jpg

tumblr_5351d79be5c6ffa8f5f83fbe7cf4496c_29cb711e_500.jpg

Screenshot 2019-07-26 at 11.13.45.png

There's also a lot of uncategorised games -- 13%-14% of the total, which includes custom character sheets with no listed system, or games without character sheets.

One interesting facet of the Call of Cthulhu rise is that the average game length is about a quarter of that of other systems -- "We found that they have an average playtime of 11.9 hours, compared to 40 hour average game times for other systems on these charts."

So how's D&D doing? Back in 2015, D&D had 25% of games and 31% of players. In early 2018 it has surged to 61% of games and 70% of players. This year, however, the figure has dropped to 51% of games and 54% of players. It's hard to tell whether this is just due to the new method of counting.

Looking at those same three reports, Pathfinder had 21% of games and 40% of players (fairly similar to D&D's stats) in 2015, in 2018 had dropped to 10% of games and 27% of players, and is now sitting at about 6.5% of games and 8% of players.

Call of Cthulhu, the third placed game, began with 1.3% of games and 8% of players in 2015, increased to had 2.6% of games and 7.3% of players in 2018, and has grown in the last year to 9.5% of games but dropped to 3.4% of players.

As I mentioned, it's hard to tell how the new counting method has affected these figures.

tumblr_1972ae64e703551a5c9ff1181f974839_d813754d_1280.jpg

happyhermit

Adventurer
It does seem oddly coincidental that their last report happened before that big blow-up between fans and leadership, then they didn't release a report when they normally would have. Now they come back with one, but stopped sharing user numbers... Unless I am wrong about order of events.

It does seem oddly coincidental that their last report happened before that big blow-up between fans and leadership, then they didn't release a report when they normally would have. Now they come back with one, but stopped sharing user numbers... Unless I am wrong about order of events.
Your not wrong. That was the premise of my pessimistic post on the previous page.

Lord Rasputin

Explorer
It's interesting to see that D&D 4e is now a mid-tier game, basically on par with FATE, Savage Worlds, and GURPS. I'd also guess that most of the D&D 4e games are long-term games, and that there are few new ones cropping up, which would be unlike FATE, Savage Worlds, and GURPS.

I'm also amazed at just how low Palladium games are now. Kevin sells only to a faithful, and most of the faithful have lost faith.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Since uncategorized means character sheet that isn't the Roll20 supplied one, or no character sheet, I suspect the largest portion of those are 5e and PF2, since both have character sheet generators out there in high quantity. For example, if your players are using DnDBeyond to print character sheets and using Roll20 with those sheets in their hands, it's getting set as Uncharacterized rather than 5e. Same probably goes for PF.

A lot of Homebrew games, too, I'd wager.

Remove ads

Remove ads