• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OSRIC] v1.01 release date

I never thought there would be a demand for a print version of OSRIC, but a fair few people asked me about it, so earlier this year, I promised to deliver a printed version of OSRIC in March 2007. Since then, and with the help of many other contributors, I've been busily at work revising the document ready for print.

I must say, it's probably going to be right at the end of March 2007 that I actually deliver on this! ;) Expect the release date to be around 30th March.

OSRIC v1.01 is going to be about 50% larger by word count than v1.00. The additional content will be:
  • Basic monster listings -- Men, Humanoids, Giants, Dragons, Demons, Devils, Golems, Lycanthropes, Animals, and Others
  • Basic treasure listings
  • A revised and expanded equipment list
  • Rules for poisons, disease and insanity
  • A whole pile of additional artwork in the 1e style, featuring several new artists
I think (hope) that's enough to make a complete game in one book, free to download, priced around $8.30 in softcover. I'm afraid the hardcover's going to check in at around $20, but that's the cost price; I have no way to reduce it.

I've completely revised the layout ready for print, so the font's shrunk from 10-pt to 9-pt and there's more space for headings, tables shouldn't break across columns, etc. As always, this version will be available as a free download and I suggest you check out the free version to make sure it's what you want before shelling out any cash. ;)

Over time, I'll be releasing several versions for different needs:
  • A US English version
  • A British English version (which I hope will also be okay for Canadians, Australians etc.)
  • A low-bandwidth version for people on dialup (the same .pdf but with no art)
  • A Supporter's Edition for people who want to contribute
The British English version and hopefully the US English version should be the ones ready on 30th March. (The source document is in British English because it's easier for me to work in my native tongue.)

Nyaricus

First Post
Sounds cool, and good luck with this! I've been watching the intrest in OSRIC for awhile now, and I have to say it's interesting to see a pseudo-old school version of the D&D game be revivied :)

cheers,
--N

meomwt

First Post
PapersAndPaychecks said:
The British English version and hopefully the US English version should be the ones ready on 30th March. (The source document is in British English because it's easier for me to work in my native tongue.)

Oscar Wilde said:
Two nations, separated by a Common Language.

'Nuff said.

And a certain OS has a lot to answer for, as well...

trollwad

First Post
just out of curiousity, is there really that meaningful a difference between proper (i mean US) English and British English? With devolution, will there be a Scottish English version?

trollwad said:
just out of curiousity, is there really that meaningful a difference between proper (i mean US) English and British English?

By definition, English is the language spoken by English people. Technically, American English is a dialect and British English is the mother tongue. ;)

The differences are small but, to some of us, annoying.

British OSRIC monsters have an Armour Class and Special Defences. The opposite of wilderness is civilisation, combat moves are called "manoeuvres", travellers go travelling, one of the planes is called "the æthereal plane", the plural of "dwarf" is "dwarfs" and the adjective is "dwarfish", the middle of something is called the "centre", et cetera, ad nauseam.

So I decided to write print versions of OSRIC in both, and the decision seems to have provoked a warm reception from lovers of non-dialect English. ;)

dcas

First Post
PapersAndPaychecks said:
British OSRIC monsters have an Armour Class and Special Defences. The opposite of wilderness is civilisation, combat moves are called "manoeuvres", travellers go travelling, one of the planes is called "the æthereal plane", the plural of "dwarf" is "dwarfs" and the adjective is "dwarfish", the middle of something is called the "centre", et cetera, ad nauseam.
It's not manœuvres? Or has the 'œ' ligature been dropped?

Maybe it ought to be the æþereal plane?

I believe the plural of 'dwarf' is the same no matter the dialect of English. "Dwarves" is an idiosyncracy of Prof. Tolkien's that has been picked up by other authors.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads