• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OSRIC] v1.01 release date

WhatGravitas

Explorer
starwed said:
Not if a certain Oxford linguist has anything to say about it. ^_^
True. :D

And having a British English version is nice - since BE is taught in non-English countries, British English just feels more natural... :)

XO

First Post
Laudable, but...

The entire British / US English bit may please some, and really, if it merely boils down to altering the spellcheck language setting and doing another run, it's fine!

However, if it calls for any amount of time being spent on the effort, it then becomes a hindrance to other, bigger, better things being produced at a faster rate.

Your time to do with as you well please!

Aluminum and aluminium do not throw my world for a loop. I doubt the annoyance reaches such agravating proportions as to warrant such detailing. Just make sure none of the s/he nonsense (with feminine pronouns or possessives appearing out of nowhere as a perversion of tthe language) does not contaminate your work.

The colour of your armour will become bathed in red, no matter the version.

The rain in Spain falls mainly in the plain, Elisa...

I do applaud the formidable French influences still present in the foundations of English.... "Dieu et mon droit!" and all...

MrFilthyIke said:
P&P,

I admit I am to lazy to look this up myself, but will I be able
to order the UK version even if I am located in the U.S.?

Yes, you will.

This means it will be important to read the blurb before buying it! I'll label each version clearly in the blurb, and I'm not refunding you if you accidentally buy the wrong one. :p

MrFilthyIke

First Post
PapersAndPaychecks said:
Yes, you will.

This means it will be important to read the blurb before buying it! I'll label each version clearly in the blurb, and I'm not refunding you if you accidentally buy the wrong one. :p

Eh, I could be happy having both it it happens. :)

starwed said:
Not if a certain Oxford linguist has anything to say about it. ^_^

Tolkein knew full well he was breaking the usual rules, and he did it anyway because he felt his reasons were good. ;) His "errors" kept getting corrected in proofreading and he kept having to insist that they were reintroduced...

Henry

Autoexreginated
Frankly, a UK English version would actually feel more nostalgic to me than a U.S. English version -- like I'm reading the Fiend Folio and When a Star Falls as brand new all over again. :)

dcas said:
It's not manœuvres? Or has the 'œ' ligature been dropped?

Its origin is in the French "manoeuvre", from the root "oeuvre". I think I'm right in saying that the rule of thumb is that words of French origin don't use ligatures but those of Saxon (or Greek!) often do... but I'm open to being contradicted on this by someone who's better at English than I am. ;)

dcas said:
Maybe it ought to be the æþereal plane?

Thorn and eth were useful letters! I want them back! :p

trollwad

First Post
blimey, filthyIke is a traitor! Next think you know, he'll try to blow up Congress on Guy Fawlkes day. hey wait, that wouldnt be so bad.

As usual, the Scots get short shrift -- despite their own parliament. Is there a scottish version? How about Canadian, eh?

By the way PnP, I really dig some of those British spellings, maneuver just sounds cool in British.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads