[OT] Any opinions Terry Goodkind's SWORD of TRUTH series??

Killer Shrike

First Post
Amateurish and illogical, but occasionally intriguing

I read the first 4 or 5 of this series years ago, feeling that each book was less interesting than the last. The first book is also the writers first published work IIRC, and it shows.

My biggest complaint about the series is that it makes no logical sense whatsoever, even for a fantasy novel. It also suffers from a serious case of 'simpleness'; for example the foggy central magic system is comprised of "additive" and "subtractive" magics. Additionally, there are a lot of tacked-on non-cohesive side elements (which adds to the illogical structure of the paradigm). Finally, the hero is a super character, able to do pretty much anything.

Because of rampant use of absolutes and arbitrary plot devices, the series becomes a series of bigger hammers and retro-contrivances as the series stretches on.

On the plus side, Goodkind's unstructured writing was at first a refreshing break from the more laborious style of Jordan or the repetitive style of Eddings for example. Initially Richard was an interesting character before he became too uber, and the original villain was a very interesting twist on the standard villainous fair of the day.

However, Goodkind churns the books out at a furious pace, and began to read more and more like pulp fantasy as the installments rolled by (IMO).

If you like more grit in your fantasy, I would suggest Robin Hobb over Goodkind.

Remove ads