[OT] Any opinions Terry Goodkind's SWORD of TRUTH series??

Lothaire

First Post
I just finished reading Pillars of creation yesterday.

It seemed to drag on very very long. It had a semi interesting story, but Goodkind just seemed to introduce element after element without resolving previous parts for the first 3/4ths of the book or so.

I did however find the first book, Wizards First Rule an enjoyable read. Same for the second book. After that they seemed to get sort of bland to me.

I didn't buy any of them at first (I took them all out of the library), but I did pick up the first two books from the library that my girlfriend works at (they were going to throw them away so she snagged them for me.)

So I'd say at the very least get the first book out of a local library and give it a whirl. If it tickles your fancy move on, if not no big deal.

The above was entirely my $.02, take no offense for none was intended.

Utrecht

First Post
I have to say that I have read the SOT series up until the book before Pillars of Creation. I then had my revelation - "Why am I reading this" It had lost any entertainment value to me.

Actually this had happened earlier in the series, but brushed it off - any time I am forced to think to myself "they are using d*ldos as torture devices?" is a pretty good indication that I do not need to read further - but I morinically continued.

I did like Wizards First Rule at an abstract level (there were some interesting ideas in it) but looking back (and attempting a second read) I quickly put it down.

however, like many other things - YMMV.

Devall2000

First Post
I tried out Goodkind. I really liked the first book, but the second one turned me off. I also think that things were figured out way too quickly in the second one. I remember an instance where the woman changed her mind about the 'test of pain' quickly and on the basis of a brief speech.

I've noticed some parallels to the 'wheel of time.' The whole prophecy thing is a little too close to what goes on in WoT along with both having orders of women.

I like WoT, but it DOES drag in places. Book 6 comes to mind.

How many books does George RR Martin have out?

Utrecht

First Post
Gearge RR Martin books

In the Song of Fire and Ice Series: Three

A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords

He is currently writing the 4 book (has finished at least the first 3 chapters)

He has done quite a bit of other writing

Amoung them:

Windhaven (with Lisa Tuttle)
The Armegeddon Rag
The Wildcard series

ProfAnime

Move along, nothing to see here
As many others have said, pick up the first one in paperback, and check it out for yourself. I personally liked the first few books in the series, but could not finish Blood of the Fold, since to me it just seemed to be the same story yet again. And unlike David Eddings, for some reason I just did not like the characters enough in the Sword of Truth series to continue reading.

Now I liked Jordan, not the greatest fantasy out there IMO, but I still thought it was a good read, though 6-8 did seem a bit slow, but 9 seems to be picking up the pace again.

And I personally liked the Sorrow, Memory and Thorn from Williams. Thought it had a good alien view of elves in it

Altalazar

First Post
Pet Peeve mode on:

I hate it when people call a book a waste of money. If you don't like something, then it is a waste for YOU to spend money on it, but you can't make that judgement for someone else. To me it is just a sound bite to make oneself sound superior to an author who put a lot of effort into their work, good or bad.

Pet Peeve mode off:

I hate it when people do modes on and off like that. Why don't people speak human instead?

Oh, and I liked the ideological bent of Faith of the Fallen. It really deeply explored the society, rather than making it just another shallow-evil-fantasy-society. I like that depth.

In the end, it is a matter of taste whether you will enjoy a book or series of books. The best you can do is find someone with similar taste and see what they have to say if you are looking to find a book on limited time. On the other hand, you can still be surprised trying something completely different than your usual fare.

William Ronald

Explorer
There is much that I enjoy about the series. I think Goodkind's pacing is better than Jordan's. (Dpes anyone know when Wheel of Time will actually have its big climax?) SPOILERS BELOW.

Although I feel Richard Cypher is a bit overpowered, I enjoy the politics that are part of the setting. Also, the protagonists are ready to fight for what they love and overcome obstacles.

The villains are pretty interesting in the sense that they are essentially human. From Darken Rahl to the Emperor of the Old World, they show how people can be obsessed with nationhood or an ideal. (I sometimes find Goodkind's political rants a bit boring. Intelligent, good natured people can have radically different political views. They can even -- shockingly-- be friends.)

The torture bit was a little extreme. I do like the fact that there is a possibility for redemption for the Mord Sith and the D'Harans. The fact that several of them regret what they once were seems very realistic.

Sometimes I believe that Richard Cypher is a little too sure of himself. He needs some more self examination and questioning. (Dune was good for this.) However, at least the whining quotient is lower than in Wheel of Time. (While reading books in the Wheel of Time series, I had to resist the urge to yell at the characters.) I also think that he is too overpowered, and some of this power should have been spread out to other characters. (One of the best things in Wheel of Time is how three friends support one another. ) Also, it seems that both Rand al'Thor and Richard Cypher have too many things handed to them. (Both end up getting countries or peoples behind them just because they happen to be someone's hidden heir or fulfillment of prophecy. I suspect it is hard to run a country with no better training than being a woodsman or a sheepherder.)

Also, the series is getting a little long. Perhaps there is a problem with modern fantasy authors writing multiple volume series. I rather like the world, particularly some of the cultures.

I hope my ranting does not offend anyone. It is just that I initially had higher hopes for both SoT and WoT.

Holy Bovine

First Post
William Ronald said:
There is much that I enjoy about the series. I think Goodkind's pacing is better than Jordan's. (Does anyone know when Wheel of Time will actually have its big climax?)

I think sometime around 2078 Robert Jordan the Fourth will finally finish his great-grandfather's work with Book 54 The Sword Crown of Dragon Daggers Path of Winter's Fire. :D

This is probably the biggest problem I have with modern fantasy writers. Do any of them write just one book and finish the story? Or at worst 3 books? What is with these huge, meandering story arcs? Brevity is a virtue.

William Ronald

Explorer
Tell me about it, Holy Bovine.

Tolkien was able to tell the story of how Middle Earth came to an end in three volumes.

Stephen R. Donaldson wrote the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant in three complete volunes. Later, he went back and wrote a sequel. However, both series can stand on their own.

I believe it was Samuel Johnson who said "To be plain is to be as a precious jewel." He was responding to some overwrought writers.

Remove ads