[OT] Anyone here own an HDTV?

The_lone_gunman

First Post
I'm looking for some assistance with hooking my computer up to it. Anyone out there that has one and has done this or knows a good site for some forums?

Thanks,

TLG

MJEggertson

First Post
I got one, though I've never hooked my computer up to it with anything other than a S-Video connector. Worked just like any other component. Having a video card that works at 16:9 resolution helps though. What's the problem?

Last edited:

The_lone_gunman

First Post
Thanks for the responses! I am looking at playing games on the screen mostly. Currently, it appears I cannot get better than 800x600 resolution, and the text looks a bit grainy. I am now downloading that software, and will go to those forums for advice.

If I can't find a fix I will come back for advice, thanks.

TLG

The_lone_gunman

First Post
How do I know what the optimal sync rate is for my Model of HDTV? I have a Hitachi 61UWX10BA, with a NVIDIA Geforce 2 MX 400 graphics card. I don't want to screw up my TV, so any assistance would be welcome. Is there any tutorials and such online for this type of thing? I am heading now over to those forums to check.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

TLG

Torillan

First Post
MJEggertson said:
I got one, though I've never hooked my computer up to it with anything other than a S-Video connector. Worked just like any other component. Having a video card that works at 16:9 resolution helps though. What's the problem?

16:9 is only the aspect ratio, ie. widescreen. For true HDTV, you'll need a card that can handle 1080i (the "i" is for "interlaced"). Otherwise, all you're really doing is doubling the 525 lines of resolution to fill up 1080 lines. The bigger the screen, the worst it will look. And S-Video is only one step up in quality from composite (your standard RCA jack). I'm honestly not sure what computer tech is out there for component inputs. But component is the way to go for "true" HDTV.

MJEggertson

First Post
The 16:9 only helps me (with an S-Vid connector) by virtue of allowing the signal to appear fullscreen on the tv, without having vertical bars or having the picture stretched. Don't care so much about hooking it up with component wires, since I've basically only hooked it up once, and that was for the "wooo, it worked" factor.

Now if I could just get an appartment with a clear line of sight to the south sky...

*sigh*

Remove ads