[OT] figure scating(I really don't understand it)

MythandLore

First Post
Wippit Guud said:
They even announced it (at least in Canada), the American was the first skater to sucessfully land 3 quads in competition.

They also noted, that 3 quads was the total attempted i in the last olympics.
Yep, The American guy was robbed of the silver.
Lame, I say lame.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Thanks for the links myth. I guess I was wishing for something more concrete I could grasp at so I could understand this olympic event better. Other sports have distinct rules I can understand for what equals a point like my all time favorite sport basket ball.

And the fact that I think Michelle Kwan is the hottest women alive has nothing to do with my sudden interest in the sport honest.

reapersaurus

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:
I watched the long program of mens figure scating last night, and I realy don't understand the scoring or art or something.

It seems to me if you flail around a lot do some lame mime routine in the begining and generally act like Jerry Lewis on ice you get good scores,
They were trying so hard for dramatic arm movements I was taken out of the actual scating and was staring at the arm movements, and thinking and quite frankly saying out loud what a dork. The korean guy and the american their movements seemed to flow with their scating and seemed to be a part of it and at no part did I step back and get taken out of watching the performance to stare at outrageously large arm movements with extrememly overdone facial expressions.
MAN!
This is good stuff! :)

I feel similarly - it is quite obvious that the skating community prefers this overacted, namby-pamby BS of 'performance', and are increasingly out-of-touch with what the rest of the world finds appealing in a performance.

I'm glad you worded it like this: not only is it funnier than hell, but it really does bring to light how hideously stupid most of the Russian men look when skating.

That sounds like a subjective comment, but I contend it is NOT.
If you got someone to watch the performances who doesn't know skating, I'm sure they'd all ask, "What the heck is he doing flailing his arms about like a ballerina?" not "Boy, those movements sure do enhance the music." :rolleyes:

Tempuswolf

First Post
Although It's Not Rogue/Rouge

Re-read Shard's original post and keep in mind that although scat can mean a great many things it never means skate. :D

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Re: Although It's Not Rogue/Rouge

Tempuswolf said:
Re-read Shard's original post and keep in mind that although scat can mean a great many things it never means skate. :D

screw you hippie so I can't spell. :D I blame it and other english realted weaknesses on the dyslexia.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The idea of someone performing figure skating - molding it into little anthropomorphic shapes, maybe? - has just completely ruined my appetite. Blech!

Dougal DeKree

First Post
Fear!

You guys get me scared...you really waste yer time with watching men's figure skating? The only reason i would do that would be if the "dancers" were hunted by a whole icehockey-team during their performance...that would be more likely to become interesting :) ...and the winner is the skater with the least injuries! :D

Dougal DeKree
"Disappear, Expeditious Retreat and RUN, that's what i am doing"

Remove ads