• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E [OT] Help shape the future of GURPS (GURPS 4E poll)

techno

Explorer
Steve Jackson Games is asking GURPS players to respond to their ideas for an updated and revised edition of GURPS. This sounds very cool. Unfortunately, OPENGURPS (a concept mentioned by Ryan Dancey in the chat tonight) doesn't appear to be one of the options being discussed.

GURPS poll on sjgames.com

Last edited:

Kamard

First Post
This is a beautiful poll, might I note. I just went over and took it before I read this, and its really...complete. A good good survey.

techno

Explorer
I also emailed the following suggestions to Sean Punch:

Sean,

I was very excited to see the poll on sjgames.com regarding the possibility of creating GURPS 4E. This revision really is needed. I am a GURPS player who has migrated mostly to D20 over the last couple of years. I considered what issues caused me to do so and came up with some suggestions for GURPS 4E:

1. Use very high production values (especially with regards to visual design and art) in the core rulebook(s)--even if this drives the price up. Go full-color. Do something that is visually stunning and has a high "coolness" factor.

2. Provide a means for more GURPS adventures to be published and distributed. One reason I play D&D is the sheer number of adventures available free online and within Dungeon magazine. Many GMs I talk to tell me that they just don't have time to come up with their own adventures. D20 has really made obtaining adventures easy and I think GURPS could benefit from a similar strategy.

3. Consider simplifying the "Advanced" combat rules in the core book(s). There has to be a balance somewhere between the "Basic" and "Advanced" combat options. Most people argue that combat in GURPS is more like playing a tactical wargame than a roleplaying game. The "Basic" rules are too simplified. But trying to keep track of everything in the "Advanced" rules is cumbersome and the combats take a long time. Is there something in between that would strike the right balance of realism and simplicity?

4. Consider competing head-on with D20 OGL by creating OPENGURPS. Open the core GURPS rules to 3rd-party publishers, just as D20 has done. Encourage other companies to begin producing GURPS-compatible materials.

These are just a few ideas that were not discussed in the poll.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
I voted on their poll and hope it helps them design GURPS 4e, but I wish they would go with open gaming content. I think that's the best way for their system to increase its market share. Dual GURPS/d20 stats in every GURPS product would also make it easier to use their material for those of us who have little desire to play GURPS (regardless of edition). Their sourcebooks are excellent but I'd like them even better if they had d20 stats in 'em; as is, I would only buy them as a last resort for genre material where no d20 material existed.

techno

Explorer
Kaptain_Kantrip said:
Dual GURPS/d20 stats in every GURPS product would also make it easier to use their material for those of us who have little desire to play GURPS (regardless of edition).
Great idea.

Last edited:

Remove ads