[OT] Metric system.

Tewligan

First Post
Zappo said:
...and still there are people who dislike the metric system? :eek:
Once a year, I pay a homeless guy $10 to wear a T-shirt with the words "metric system" written on the front. I then chase him up and down the street, beating him furiously with a wiffle bat labelled "The Hard Yard". I top off my celebration of the imperial system's superiority by sitting down to a dinner of a foot-long hot dog and a gallon of milk.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Zappo said:
...and still there are people who dislike the metric system? :eek:

Yes. With a passion.

Given that where I live, the temperature outside ranges from about 0 F to 100 F, it's much better to use that than - 17.7 to 37.7 C. Any temperature scale in which you have to use a decimal point is seriously flawed for everyday use. Even if you don't, it's such a screwed up range. -20 or so to 40 or so?

Celsius is even sucky for science - have to convert it to Kelvin anyway to do anything. It's an abomination.

Metric distance isn't bad, though I like the foot because it is about a foot long (for me, exactly).

And no one ever uses the proper metric unit for weight - the Newton. Everyone uses kilograms, which is for mass.

And what about that metric time? 10 hours a day? Sheesh.

Griswold

First Post
Tewligan said:

Once a year, I pay a homeless guy $10 to wear a T-shirt with the words "metric system" written on the front. I then chase him up and down the street, beating him furiously with a wiffle bat labelled "The Hard Yard". I top off my celebration of the imperial system's superiority by sitting down to a dinner of a foot-long hot dog and a gallon of milk.

So there I was, drinking my cold can of caffinated phenylalanine love when I read your post, LOL, man you owe me a keyboard!

-G.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Imperial measurement is doomed..

Eventually, metric will become the standard in all things. This is because people tend to buy their drugs by the Kilo, not the Pound.

And if you do not believe that such will come to pass due to illegal drug use, then consider this. Coca-Cola and Pepsi use metric measurements for their products. And everyone knows that if the Drug lords do not come to dominate the world, then surely it will be the Cola Companies.

END COMMUNICATION

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
The problem that we have in this country with not understanding the metric system is that basically, nobody has any fundamental grasp of metric measurements. Everyone knows about how long an inch is, but they have to think about how long a centimeter is. I don't really understand how every other country managed to just switch all of a sudden without everyone being confused.

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
Re: Imperial measurement is doomed..

Lord Zardoz said:
Eventually, metric will become the standard in all things. This is because people tend to buy their drugs by the Kilo, not the Pound.

And if you do not believe that such will come to pass due to illegal drug use, then consider this. Coca-Cola and Pepsi use metric measurements for their products. And everyone knows that if the Drug lords do not come to dominate the world, then surely it will be the Cola Companies.

END COMMUNICATION

Then why am I drinking a 12 ounce coke right now?

Remove ads