• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[ot] Morrus, Liquide, Rav and Tallarn - a tale of beer and singing, in many parts :D

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
(Before I begin, please be aware that we all promised to write our own versions of what happened. So also be aware that being as my version is first...my version is also correct. No matter what anyone else says later...:D)

This is the story of One Admin, three posters, a flatmate, some beer, some pizza, some more beer, a short drive, singing, dancing on tables, beer, rejection, (reasonably) attractive women, beer, singing, bad dancing on tables, drunken conversation, beer, Red Bull, vomit, driving again, cooked breakfasts, signs with our names on, issues of Dragon magazine, beer, a jedi on a toilet, free D20 products, admin powers, money given for unknown purposes, gaming talk, a short trip to the toilet, a snooker hall, a pair of broken glasses, and a girl in a short skirt. Not all of those things will be appearing in that order.
-------------
The backstory.

As noted on this thread I had become aware that Liquide was visiting the UK for a few days, and I resolved to meet him. He seemed a nice fellow, and I like meeting new gamers. It's fun. Even after I heard he had broken Morrus' lamp as his first action in his house, he still sounded like a nice fellow. So. I would go to Southampton and meet Morrus and Liquide, and also Rav, since he seemed to have the same idea as me.

I booked tickets. London Victoria to Southampton Central. I collected tickets. I checked my tickets. There was a problem - I changed my tickets for tickets that would do what I wanted. Ha. I even managed to eat a baguette during all this. I am nothing if not multitasked. I got on my train.

The journey down to Southampton was fine. I passed through my hometown, slightly unexpectedly. I passed through Hove.

Hmmm. Rav lives in Brighton. Brighton is next to Hove. I wonder if he's on the same train?

I use the wonders of mobile phone technology to send a text message to Morrus, asking him for Rav's phone number so that I can try and find him on the train. No reply. Oh well...

We arrive at Southampton Central Station only twenty minutes late. Not bad for British trains. I get off the train, looking out for a) someone Swedish looking b) Someone Dutch looking c) Someone who looks like the run a very good D20 website...

My prayers are answered swiftly. Coming along the platform towards me are a) Someone Swedish looking (alright, I'd seen his picture on the picture thread, so there was actual recognition there...) and, rather more helpfully b) someone holding a piece of paper with Tallarn and Rav written on it. I look at them. They look at me. Someone asks if I'm Tallarn. I say yes, we shake hands, he turns out to be Morrus. The man with the sign is Jason, Morrus' flatmate. Smart fella.

Morrus is thinner than I expected.

Part 2 coming soon!

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Part 2, or So What Does Rav look like, anyway?

Having made the introductions, we discover that regardless of whether or not Rav was on the same train or not, he has so far failed to spot the sign.

So Jason, being an intelligent type, starts wandering about in the small station waving the sign in people's faces. In order to find out if they are Rav, of course.

It turns out Morrus had his phone stolen on Thursday night. Hence the lack of reply of text message, and my own inability to find Rav myself.

Jason is now talking to some pretty girls. We are confused, as Rav has mentioned several time that he is, well, a he. Morrus mutters at Jason, who continues to look around.

Oddly, we find Rav on the far side of the ticket barrier, holding a copy of Dragon magazine. Aha! We should have known. He does, indeed, look quite Dutch. Rav and I swap Dragons (#303 for #304 if you really want to know). Everyone introduces themselves again, and we pile into Jason's car to be driven to the flat.

The flat is quite nice. Small, considering there are now five people in it, but nice. Morrus gives us the guided tour ("That's the lounge, go down there..."), and we settle in. I excuse myself and go to the toilet, where I am delighted to find a small model of Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi guarding the toilet. This sort of thing amuses me, I'm sorry...

We settle down on the various soft chairs. Beer is produced. Everyone opens one, apart from Jason, who doesn't drink. This turns out to be useful information later on. Remember this.

Someone comes up with the brilliant plan of putting some of the beer in the fridge so that it will get cold. Everyone is suitably impressed by this. We begin talking, mostly about games, travel, etc etc. Morrus promises us a free D20 product of our choice, simply for turning up.

Having drunk some beer, hunger makes itself known. Pizza is ordered. Jason-the-helpful-flatmate offers to go and pick it up, because it's cheaper. What a nice man.

The pizza arrives (with Jason) and is promptly devoured. More talking. More beer. Morrus raises that point that we'd be better off in this great pub he knows...

Apparently, there will be dancing on tables.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Part 3 - Dancing on Tables to loud music

This pub is only a short distance away by car. Helpfully, Jason-the-helpful-flatmate is going to drive us. We stop off for cash on the way. Cash means beer. :D

The pub itself (Um, I can't remember the name of the place, hopefully Morrus can tell you all when he posts his account) is quite narrow. As we go to walk in, a man is entering with a guitar. This is getting more interesting by the minute. Morrus informs us that this man will be playing the guitar this evening. Excellent!

The pub is already busyish. The set up is quite simple. On the left hand side - some sturdy looking tables. On the right - a bar. At the back - the toilets. Nearer the door than the bar is a space with a DJ and a smaller space where the guitar man is going to go.

I've just realised I don't think we ever found out what the name of the guitar guy was. Oh well.

We have music already. Good music. We're talking Dexy's Midnight Runners good music. Think 80's punk/folk/rock/pop/English pub singalong music if you're not sure who Dexy's Midnight Runners are :) Morrus buys the first round. My opinion of him rises another notch. Jason has an orange juice. I'm surprised. He really doesn't drink alcohol.

We park ourselves near a table which already has people sitting on it. Dark looks are sent in their direction. In this place, tables are for dancing on, not sitting on. The DJ continues to play what sounds like "All Tallarn's Favourite Songs, Part III". After a while, the pub becomes more crowded. Jason reckons the singer will start around 10.20pm. He is correct to within two minutes.

Apparently he's very punctual.

More soon!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads