• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] My 13 yr old son got accepted into CCNA course.

Brainburn

First Post
At his high school they offer a 2 term course on "advanced networking" which is the CCNA course in a high school wrapper.
Well he got accepted today and became the youngest student (9th grade) to be admitted into the course.
AND HE PLAYS D&D TOO!

I'm a lucky dad.

Brainburn *Proud dad of a damn good boy*

{EDIT for clarity}

Last edited:

Brainburn

First Post
Krug said:
They have 9 year old network administrators now??

Congrats!

He is in 9th grade and 13 yrs old. So...I guess they will have a 14 yr old admin...:)

nah. But he is jazzed as hell. Pop is pretty jazzed too!

Brainburn

reapersaurus

Explorer
I'm gonna take a different route with this one.

I was talking to my coworkers about this just last week, and it occurred to me how short-minded these Cisco courses at the high school level are.

First off, of course congratulations on your son getting into a high scholl program which of course is a very valuable networking certification to have.

However, I am NOT in favor of high schoolers having Cisco courses available to them.
I cannot imagine the cost to the taxpayer for these supplemental classes, and most importantly, unless your son has the equivalent knowledge of A+, Network+, and an MCSE, there are MANY better courses which will :
a) provide a better stepwise learning track for him, and
b) be much more marketable to him in entering a career field.

Do you mind me asking you what the process was for acceptance into this CCNA course?
I'm very interested in hearing more about this programs that it seems more and more high schools are providing as a benefit to kids.

And that's really the problem with the classes:
No kid, realistically, is going to be able to take advantage of this CCNA certification in the job force for many years.

You don't get hired into the IT field as a Router Administrator.
Those jobs are the most senior positions that departments have.
Millions of dollars are riding on every little mistake.
That's why they get paid lots of money.

As an entry-level position (help desk, technician, etc) it would behoove your son's career to have the A+ certificate much more than a CCNA.

As for my qualifications to have these opinions, I work as a Technical Trainer for the largest Networking Training company in the world, and I have also been a Technical Recruiter.

Thanks for listening.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Brainburn ... for your son.

(said quietly and solemnly)

Brainburn, I give my sincere congratulations to your very talented son.

He has a right to be proud of himself, and I hope that he is proud - he has most certainly earned the right to be proud.

I wish him success in the CCNA courses, and with that success, belief in himself.
Belief that he can accomplish, what he sets out to accomplish.
Belief that he can overcome the obstacles, that lie in his way.

I sincerely believe your son already has that self belief, and with each new success it will grow, and your son will flourish, and he will not only be successful, but he will be happy too.

Your son is a credit to the entire Gaming Community.
Your son, honors us all.

I salute him.

Edena_of_Neith

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads