• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] My 13 yr old son got accepted into CCNA course.

reapersaurus

Explorer
Brainburn - I was wondering:
What things did your son have to do to qualify for this class?

Further: realistically, why would they be accepting someone so young into the program?
Shouldn't that class be reserved for seniors looking to go into networking/computers as a career?

How popular is the course?

As much as you can tell me about the course would be great - I'm really interested.

Footnote - any young person who does not take advantage of these kinds of opportunities handed to them on a golden platter is really blowing it BIG TIME.

When I went thru school, if they aactually gave clases that would have helped you in an actual career, I would have been all over them.
Adults take loans of up to $10,000 to be able to take classes similar in content to these getting-more-common highschool classes.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
reapersaurus said:

Too many people take such an unrealistic approach to careers, it's scary.
A auto mechanic hears that Cisco engineers pull down over $100 an hour, and decides to take a loan, take a course, and expects to come out with a high-paying job.

It doesn't work that way anymore.

Agreed, and I'll add that it never really worked that way. There are people who are technically inclined, and those who aren't. I would say don't let money be your primary motivation, but more on that below...

Gargoyle:I don't agree with this at all.
I think you're doing yourself a great disservice not learning hardware and software for any computer-related job.

I'll have to agree to disagree then. The trend I see is younger network engineers who are doing just fine with very little PC hardware or software experience. The only reason they had to take jobs for a couple of years (or as little as a few months) as a help desk technician or in a break/fix or server environment is that they didn't have the access to the Cisco gear earlier, (edit- or just didn't know the right people). Putting the gear in the hands of younger people will accelerate this trend.

I have heard hundreds of tales of people in high-paying jobs who really don't know that much about computers because they seem to have concentrated on just what they needed to know to get thast one job done.

That might help you do that one task, for that one employer, but it won't help you in the long run.
In fact, one cert doesn't cut it in the slightly, of course.
You must continually learn and expand your knowledge base or technology will trample you faster than a Sauropod with a bee stuck in his butt. :)

I totally agree. You have to keep learning to stay valuable, no matter what you're doing. I'm not advocating stagnation, only specialization. Believe me, specializing in something as broad as "Cisco routing and switching" takes many years, and that's not even touching on security, voice, other network vendors, etc. There's plenty of room to learn and grow in any of these "specialities".

As for entry level jobs that allow you to do Cisco routing .... you must live in a different kind of job environment, is all I can say. ;)

Actually I woudn't bet on "doing Cisco routing" in such a job, I was referring to a network management job where you're really just monitoring a network, or flying around the country plugging in routers that are already preconfigured, (if you're lucky you might get to copy and paste a config in...). Yes there are entry level jobs doing Cisco work. No they're not very easy to get, and knowing someone helps. But a cert helps a lot. (I'd still recommend going to college and getting at least a CCNP first though, or even better the network + then the CCNP)

I agree with other things you said.
Network+ is a MUCH better introduction to networking than CCNA.

And FOR YOU, perhaps a greater concentration on networking and routing would have gotten you farther, faster than you are today.
However, I think it's safe to say that you shouldn't be copying your background for someone starting out today.
It is a different place, and the last 10 years are not what it's like anymore in networking today.

It's a totally different place, and that's my point. You shouldn't have to go through several other careers to get to the one you want.

(I'm really just stating the obvious here, but...) When advising people, you should take the GENERAL into account, not a couple people's experiences.
Hundreds and thousands of people try to get into this field every year.
Some are successful, some are not.
Unless you can rely on knowing somebody to get you a job (which STILL is the best way to get a new career, don't let anyone dismiss that), you should have a solid plan and breadth of knowledge before entering the field.

enough for now.
good discussion -

My advice was really directed at the exceptionally smart kid like Brainburn's, not the general public.
But I agree, good discussion.

now, Gargoyle - explain this to me - WHY the heck would you not be working ALL the time as a Routing engineer if you can make 1/4 of that an hour, instead of trying to make money in the RPG field.
THAT should be an interesting reply. :)

:) Very astute. The short answer is that money is no longer my primary motivator. I do work full time as a network engineer. I bill an average of 50 hours a week, and sometimes a lot more, and I make a bit more in salary and bonuses than your well-educated guess. (Negotiation is such an important skill...) I write RPG stuff whenever I can. Right now I'm on "vacation" slaving away on Call of Duty (poor me.. :) ) . But really, if money is your motivation, you shouldn't get into the RPG industry.

To sum it up, I like the experience of working the RPG industry more than the network industry, and money is not my primary motivator.

More specifically:

- I love to write things that are creative rather than technical (such as detailed engineering documents, scopes of work, etc). It gives me more satisfaction, probably because it is harder for me.
- I want to be my own boss.
- I want to work at home and choose my own hours, rather than 50+ hours a week, including every other weekend, minimum. I've had about four weekends off since April. (I'm on vacation right now, that's the only reason I have time to post this!)
- I get a thrill when someone lets me know that they enjoyed using something I wrote in an actual game.
- Things that I publish will still be around long after I'm dead. Morbid thought, I know, but after I hit 30 I started thinking like that.
- I like gamers (well most of 'em). I like going to GenCon. I like associating with people who are creative, fun, and thoughtful. I like playtesting something and calling it "work".
- I have most of the things I want. I've got lots of good stuff, a good house, nice vehicles, etc. I have no desire to get rich. Technically speaking, I am probably already richer than most of the population of Earth, even though I'm only considered "middle-class" here. My quality of life is good.

The real question is why haven't I quit my job and started writing RPGs full time. The answer of course is money. I've got a wife and two kids to support, and can't afford to do it. Yet.

Last edited:

reapersaurus

Explorer
Great story.

VERY interesting, also, that you have chosen a paladin sourcebook to be spending your precious vacation time on.

I forgot that a d20 publisher was doing one, and I just realised I'm VERY interested in what you're putting together, as I think that paladins are woefully under-supported in 3E currently.

Defenders of the Faith was pretty much a slap in the face to a fan of paladins.

If you'd like some free input or feedback about your paladin sourcebook, email me at jwarner@nhsacramento.com

Ace

Adventurer
Brainburn said:
At his high school they offer a 2 term course on "advanced networking" which is the CCNA course in a high school wrapper.
Well he got accepted today and became the youngest student (9th grade) to be admitted into the course.
AND HE PLAYS D&D TOO!

I'm a lucky dad.

Brainburn *Proud dad of a damn good boy*

{EDIT for clarity}

Congratualtions.

Brainburn

First Post
reapersaurus said:
Brainburn - I was wondering:
What things did your son have to do to qualify for this class?

Further: realistically, why would they be accepting someone so young into the program?
Shouldn't that class be reserved for seniors looking to go into networking/computers as a career?

How popular is the course?

As much as you can tell me about the course would be great - I'm really interested.

Footnote - any young person who does not take advantage of these kinds of opportunities handed to them on a golden platter is really blowing it BIG TIME.

When I went thru school, if they aactually gave clases that would have helped you in an actual career, I would have been all over them.
Adults take loans of up to $10,000 to be able to take classes similar in content to these getting-more-common highschool classes.

The prereqs are for good math skills (Algebra II), a reccomendation from a teacher and a good working knowledge of computer systems. Rhian, my son, has algebra I, a real good grasp of comp. systems and is very mature. He can go into FSb and backplane discussions as long as you could stand it. :) I agree with the age issue. I actually almost prevented him from doing this but talked with my work (the ojt) and his teacher to get a better grasp of the "track" she was kind of offering. He wouldn't have the time to do it in his 11th & 12th grade years due to some of the college classes he was going to try and knock out. Now was the only realistic time.

There are 16 seats available and generally 12-13 get filled a year.

It is primarily seniors and some juniors in the class for just such a reason (prob about a 60/30 split). Rhian fully expected to be admitted next year but the teacher pressed him to try for it this year. Undoubtably they have been scheming and plotting behind my back :) and have a tentative plan for his HS track. I guess they offer C++ and they are planning on him getting into this next year. They are also plotting about a project of some sort that I have to do more research into to figure out. The project spans a couple of years and can have a huge impact on his college. I can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

Rhian has been in advanced classes for most of his schooling history (except in Washington state where they wanted ALL of the students to be on an even playing field. That year sucked!).
She, the teacher, has taken an interest in Rhian and is sort of taking him under her wing. She loves him to death and is taking a sincere interest in his school life and life after school. I have my "dad glasses" firmly in place. I am mostly concerned with burnout.

They have a great vocational program also but none of the kids are taking advantage of it due to the stigma of "vocational". The students seem to think that it is for kids who can't cope with "normal" classes. It is really sad becouse they offer drafting and other classes of the same caliber that aren't being taken advantage of either. How very sad. Because of this stigma the school board is going to establish a technical school that is just the vocational curriculum (sp) in a brand new pretty wrapper. I hope it works out.

Did this answer any of your questions? Sorry for rambling.

Brainburn

fett527

First Post
I have to put my 2 cents in here. I have been working in the IT field for 4 years now, I hold MCSE, CCNA and A+ certs. I think the program is a great opportunity for your son and more power to him. I wish programs like these had been available when I was in high school. I may not have floundered in retail for so long searching for a career.
I have to agree with a couple of statements that reapersaurus has made. I fully believe that to understand the networking field you must have the PC knowledge learned from the A+ exams. The whole end result of networking as we know it is to connect PCs (I know this is changing with new types of devices but the PC is still the main focus) together. If you don't have an understanding of how a PC communicates and connects over the network then I believe you are at a disadvantage. You obviously have the background (and by the way you said you let your MCSE expire, I believe Microsoft's stance on this is that none of them will expire, you will just be an MCSE on 3.51 or 4.0 or 2000 etc. I know that for a fact on 4.0 but not 3.51) and experience necessary to make these judgements and if you feel your son has the basic PC knowledge then that's great.
Also, I took the Cisco Networking Academy courses at a local Community College and if that's the coursework he's following he will get some of that basic info in the first quarter, I tested out of it mostly with my A+ and Networking Essentials knowledge. I'll try to follow up, but I am working today.

reapersaurus

Explorer
Brainburn said:
Did this answer any of your questions? Sorry for rambling.

Brainburn
Yes, it helps.

It sounds like your son is in the serious special group with his abilities and your influence and guidance.
I am of course talking generally about this program, not specifically regarding you or your son.

Can you explain how this class fills in so much of the back-knowledge that is required to understand the material?

Whatever Gargoyle got across, CCNA is NOT an introductory course.
While it does build the content over the course, the concepts REQUIRE context for understanding.

Without the context of having used computers for years and try to connect them in networking and working in a LAN/WAN environment, many of the concepts covered in the CCNA course fall on deaf ears.

Trust me.
In my work, I have seen it hundreds (Cisco classes) and thousands (networking classes).
For the majority, throwing them in the deep end of the pool because it's nice to say you provide "high-tech" teaching in high school is not the best way of teaching someone a new industry.

I am not speaking of you or your son... just the majority.

enrious

I agree with reapersaurus' points (nothing personal at brainburn's son).

I think schools should work more on basic computer and networking classes rather than certification courses.

Certifications, without practical experience, are basically worthless. Virtually every industry certification is designed for someone with a minimum of at least x months of experience. This experience simply cannot be duplicated in a lab environment.

Sounds to me like the high school has fallen into the same trap as many others - believing that certification is the end all, beat all of networking.

Don't get me wrong, certifications can be useful and important, but getting inexperienced kids in high school those certifications only serves to devalue the certification and present a false impression to the student.

Sorry for that..bit a misdirected rant.

I just think they should be offering basic computer repair and network configuration rather than giving out a CCNA course that's going to lose most of the students.

I help moderate a computer certification website and possess numerous industry certifications, along with many years in this business. I can only tell you that in my experience, if you try learning to walk (CCNA) before you try to crawl (basic computer/networking), then you will be hurting your professional career down the road.

IMO, IANAL, etc.

Last edited:

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Enrious: Couldn't agree more. Paper engineers are worthless. I don't know how many times I've done a technical interview that went like this:

Me: "I see from your resume you've got a CCNP. How many routers would you say you have you actually configured."
<Pause>
Applicant: "Oh dozens...maybe hundreds."
Me: "Were those in a lab environment or in production?"
Applicant: "Well, most of them were in a class...but I did do this install for <insert some small company>"
Me: "Ok, thanks that's all I needed."

I save a bunch of time by saving the technical questions for last...try to get a job with smaller IT integrators to get some experience before you go after the bigger money.

Reapersaurus, I don't see how you can say that the the CCNA isn't an introductory course. For those not familiar with it, it's actually two courses, the CCNAB 2.0 (an online course) and the ICND 2.0 (5 days instructor led). The certification is not as good as a Network + for beginners, like I said earlier, but it is not too difficult for a computer literate high school student and will not "ruin" them in any way by ignoring the basics of networking.

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/front.x/wwtraining/CELC/index.cgi?action=CourseDesc&COURSE_ID=1956
http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/front.x/wwtraining/CELC/index.cgi?action=CourseDesc&COURSE_ID=1955

Now if your opinion is that they need to learn how to operate a computer first, sure I agree. And I'll add that they should learn how to type as soon as possible. (Dear God why isn't that a mandatory course as soon as they can reach all the keys???)

Probably I shouldn't give career advice though. I enlisted in the Air Force for 9 years (great place to start!) then jumped into the civilian job market. That's a bit easier than going straight from school into the job market, and sometimes I forget that. And now that I'm making money I want to quit and run a game publishing company during a recession. Yep, you should probably ignore everything I say. :)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads