[OT] Salmon and Fish Jumping

Datt

First Post
Yes I know dolphins are not an actual fish, but are mammals. I was trying to make a point. But since that failed here try this one:

From Why do Mullets jump?
Over the years there have been numerous theories concerning the leaping of mullet. There seems to be two categories of leaping: predator avoidance and aerial respiration.

Leaping to avoid predators usually involves more than one fish jumping simultaneously, retaining an upright posture and entering the water cleanly.

The second type of leaping involves a single fish that does a slower, shorter leap, often flipping onto its side or even onto its back. They may also roll at the surface or move with their head above the water.

And to save you the time:
From www.dictionary.com

1. Any of various stout-bodied, edible fishes of the family Mugilidae, found worldwide in tropical and temperate coastal waters and some freshwater streams. :)

Harlock

First Post
Datt said:
Yes I know dolphins are not an actual fish, but are mammals. I was trying to make a point. But since that failed here try this one:

And to save you the time:
From www.dictionary.com

1. Any of various stout-bodied, edible fishes of the family Mugilidae, found worldwide in tropical and temperate coastal waters and some freshwater streams. :)

I already said fish can jump. Saying so again is redundant.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Talath said:
Around spring, water becomes depolarized and fish become polarized due to subtle shifts in the magnetism of the earths core. Around spring, these factors weaken gravitys hold on fish, allowing them to jump upward at great length. An otherwise impossible feat.

This is correct, and you can prove it to yourself. Get a fish from a market (the fresher the better -- but for humane reasons, don't use one of the fish from your tropical aquarium). If you stroke it along its belly with a magnet, always going in the same direction, after about a dozen strokes, the fish will be so polarized that you can actually stick it to your refrigerator.

I've tried it and it works -- freaked the heck out of my family when I showed them.

It only works in early Spring, though, as your science teacher told you. Usually the effect is most pronounced about ten days after the Spring Equinox.

Try it tomorrow; I'm just getting an early start by telling you today.

Daniel

jdavis

First Post
barsoomcore said:
Mullets can jump? That's sure to be a source of stress to their owners.

I had a mullet in the late 80's and it was really freaky when it would jump off my head and attack people. Had to do with the unbalanced cut of the hair.

Back to fish, the answer is yes fish can jump, there is no need for dictionary definitions or distinctions about mammels or perch. Fish can jump out of the water, some are better at it than others.

Attachments

• shark.jpg
    shark.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 202

Mercule

Adventurer
jdavis said:

Back to fish, the answer is yes fish can jump, there is no need for dictionary definitions or distinctions about mammels or perch. Fish can jump out of the water, some are better at it than others.

Wow! There's a scary sight. And something I hope never to see live.

Remove ads