• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] sociology paper- how does mainstream society view Gamers

Henry

Autoexreginated
Sodalis said:
Specifically the type of people (broad categories) that you dont like to game with, or look down on the way they play.

For the same reasons as the gamer community is perceived in a negative light, I try not to look down upon anyone or their gamer styles. However, the only thing I cannot ignore is (as in any social situation) someone with bad personal hygeine. No one I game with is physically unpleasant to be around, and it visibly distresses me when someone is. Anyone with horrendous body odor, or is unclean in a fundamenatally obvious fashion, I cannot abide being in a social situation with. This is a clear marker to me that that person has taken no time or consideration with how they appear to others, and barring serious medical reasons, this is a clear sign that they are someone who shows little concern for others.

Why do I mention this? Because at one point it was a very common concern in our hobby. At conventions and the like, the "stereotypical" greasy, unkempt, socially-unequipped gamer is no longer a stereotype - a noticeable percentage was very visible. For games and gaming types, you enjoy what you enjoy, and it is your own choice and personal freedom to play what you wish and how. However, when you do something in a social situation that physically offends others, then it no longer becomes just your concern, but it steps upon the sensibilities of those you associate with. Just as it is socially unacceptable to tell jokes with racistic or sexist punchlines, or to go publically naked, it is unacceptable to appear in public in a manner that offends others. It also reinforces the stereotype of the "social misfit gamer" every time such a convention or even is covered by local news.

Sorry to rant, but that's the ONLY gamer sub-group I have ever "looked down" upon.

I haven't found that DMs get more respect (as you say) than anyone else. IMO, the one's who get the respect are the ones who are charismatic enough to earn it.

But that's the way it works in non-gamer culture as well. Let's face it, gamers are simply a subset of Western culture, not a wholely separate culture. I can't really find any cultural norm outside gamers that doesn't really hold true amongst gamers as well. Then again, maybe I don't hang around "real gamers" enough, though. I've seen some folks that really give me pause at the gaming store every so often...

To Henry: LOL! I know where you're coming from. I had no idea until fairly recently that there were folks out there who got their rocks off imagining sex with anthropomorphic squirrels either, but I agree: they're certainly a more viable target than gamers for social stigma! :D

Although I don't think the personal hygiene deal is as big as most make of it, just plain uncharismatic "jerkiness" is. I have no idea how many times I've been accosted by some "gamer nerd" in a crowd in a gaming store or other such locale where I've been barraged by an endless stream of very loudly spoken diatribe about something that the person obviously knew very little about, yet somehow felt that their position was so obvious that it was unthinkable anyone could feel otherwise. Or worse, gaming stories about characters that I obviously care nothing about and tactics that bore me to tears. Such people are are very difficult to shake, even with not-so-subtle-hints that you have no interest whatsoever in their conversation. At worst, they are like leeches that follow you around talking at you even whilst you ignore them completely, insult them, and talk over them to other people, all in a desperate attempt to shake them away.

Last edited:

Sodalis

First Post
Thank you all so much... keep the responses coming.

To clear up some things:
What is a furry?

I have an idea, but I want an oficial response, or at least a consensus on what it means.

thanks

Painfully

First Post
Most adult gamers have grown up among the original video game generation. We've slowly moved from the old Atari game consoles, to Gameboys, Playstations, and computers.

RPGs have always been a niche part of gaming, never the popular forerunner. Nevertheless, many computer gamers have helped make the RPG style of play more popular, and a gamer is going to want to get their "fix," and want to explore different games. The same people that needed no social skills whatsoever to play their video games now had to interact with other people and be able to formulate plans and ideas to overcome obstacles as variable as anything the mind of their gamemaster can imagine. The ultimate challenge for any gamer will be another gamer, and RPGs facilitate that better than any other game.

As gamers get older, I think they pursue whatever games offer them the most challenge and intellectual stimulation. RPG's offer a whole world of variables and complex challenges unmatched by any other kind of game. (A word could be said here about munchkins, but that is a whole other debate.) When adults are well into their 20's and 30's and are still playing games, they are often seen as immature and less responsible than the non-gaming population.

As for myself, I know I could be doing more constructive things than gaming with my leisure time, but somewhere along the way I decided it was more important to me than other activities. It is often the people I game with, just as much as the game, that keeps me wanting to come back for more.

Last edited:

Bagpuss

Legend
WizarDru said:

This article kind of sums up that statement. Within the various geek subdivisions, each group feels superior to someone else. Star Wars versus Star Trek geeks, for example. I find the whole concept of 'geek superiority' pretty funny, actually.

That is so close to the truth its scary (but pretty funny at the same time).

My I add the example "Storyteller System Exclusive game players" <-----> "D&D Exclusive Game players".

Yet both consider themselves less geeky than "1st Edition AD&D game players".

P.S. I am NOT a furry, as I'm made of synthetic fibres.

Last edited:

ninthcouncil

First Post
P.S. I am NOT a furry, as I'm made of synthetic fibres.

So are they!

Mentioning the White Wolf clan reminds me of the subject of system snobbery. There are RPGers who will not touch D&D and look down on those who play it (I should know - I was that soldier! But not any more, since 3e and the demise of Runequest). So even the geek heirarchy has its sub-heirarchy. Everyone needs someone to look down on, despise or ridicule....

KnowTheToe

First Post
ninthcouncil said:
I can only speak for the UK - things might be a bit different in the States, especially when the press are happy to blame spree murders on taste in music, and gaming habits or clothing preferences as opposed to easy availability of lethal weaponry to unstable juveniles (shall I duck now?).

Here, I'd say that gamers are generally regarded (by people whon have the faintest idea that RPGs actually exist) as sad nerds with personal hygiene problems in Metallica t-shirts who can't get girlfriends, one step down the evolutionary ladder from Star Wars fandom. OK, I'm exaggerating, but the hobby has an image problem. I don't immediately volunteer my status as an RPG'er to everyone I meet....

This pretty much sums it up for me. (US citizen, the question is what makes the juvies unstable)

Bagpuss

Legend
CamelToe said:

This pretty much sums it up for me. (US citizen, the question is what makes the juvies unstable)

In-line skate and skateboaders, these devices are inherently unstable and via a process of osmosis this is past onto the juvenile using them.

"There is of course no evidence to back this up but it is scientific fact." - Doctor Fox.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads