• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT - SW] Official Episode 2 Opening Week Boycott Thread

The last movie was so bad (and, let's face it, the first three weren't that great, either), that I'm going to try to avoid seeing this movie if at all possible. My girlfriend really wants to see it, though, so I might end up going anyway.

But I told her if I went, she would have to let me talk through the whole movie. She agreed. There's principles for ya! :)

And no, I do not have a ticket yet. I prefer to wait and see movies when the crazies aren't there anymore :). In fact, I didn't see Ep. I until it had been out for about a month and a half.

And seriously, does anyone know any little kid who laughed at Jar-Jar's antics? We are all assuming kids would, but I don't know of any that actually did.

My niece seems to think throwing food on the floor is infinitely more funny than Jar-Jar could ever be.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Wulf Ratbane said:

Nah, we're just staying silent so you guys can come in here piss all over our boycott thread.

Turn about is fair play, after all. :)

I'm chuckling over the number of "It's just a movie!" posters who already have their tickets for 12:01am.

Do you see ALL your movies that way?

Wulf

Yes, I see all my big budget adventure movies on opening day. Welcome to Los Angeles, where movies are a cultural experience. (though I am not seeing it at 12:01, but at 7pm).

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
AtFantasyReviewGuru said:
And seriously, does anyone know any little kid who laughed at Jar-Jar's antics? We are all assuming kids would, but I don't know of any that actually did.

My niece seems to think throwing food on the floor is infinitely more funny than Jar-Jar could ever be.

Yes, I know a LOT of kids who liked Jar Jar. Hell, I even knew a 19 year old who put up a poster of Jar Jar above her bed (and kept making nasty comments about his tongue, ew).

Wolfspider

Explorer
What I REALLY don't understand is the people who say they're going to see it three times over the weekend and have already gotten their tickets. What if it DOES suck? :eek:

Anyway, this is a repost from a previous thread:

As I consider whether or not I want to go see Star Wars: Episode II, I've looked over a number of reviews online. Here is a sampling of quotes and reviews I have found so far:

[Warning--Mind Spoilers]

"[W]hile Episode I failed to leave me thirsting for more, Attack of the Clones finishes with an undeniable need to see Episode III. The three years are going to seem much longer this time. This film receives a definite thumb's up, more worthy of repeat viewings than Spider-Man, in my perhaps-skewed opinion." Read the review

"Is Attack of the Clones better than its predecessor The Phantom Menace? With all my heart and soul I can scream a resounding "YES!!!" This is the movie that millions had hoped for in Phantom Menace. This is the one that delves into character development and people and places that we learn to care deeply about. This is the one that truly correlates with the original three episodes. Is this the one you've been waiting for? Yes, and you will find that out come May 16th." Read the review

"Overall, STAR WARS EPISODE II is a good film. It has most of the elements that you look for in a STAR WARS film, while cutting down some of the elements the saga has been criticized for in the past. The action is spectacular, the love story is satisfying, and the overall story line fits nicely where it should. This is a great fantasy film, and one that should please even the biggest STAR WARS fan." Read the review

"[W]hen Episode II finally gets the boogie shoes on, we are treated to a thrilling third act, packed with scary monsters, clashing armies, narrow escapes and all that splendid B-movie stuff that made Star Wars such fun in the first place." Read the review

"Other than McGregor, who continues to cut a dashing figure as the sagacious Jedi, the movie is plagued by bad acting. Barricaded behind neo-Elizabethan costumes and outfitted with strained dialogue, Portman delivers lines in an unconvincing and often abrupt manner. Christensen, too, makes a dull romantic lead, who must foreshadow Anakin's move to the dark side with moments of unmotivated rage and jealousy. Lee's manner is so glacial one doesn't even enjoy hating this villain. Such good actors as Jackson, Jack Thompson and Jimmy Smits barely register." Read the review

"The big problem, aside from the fact that The Matrix and The Lord of the Rings outclassed Lucas at his own game, is talk, talk, talk. Even with script help from Jonathan Hales, Lucas still can't write dialogue that doesn't induce projectile vomiting. And the film's visual snap (it was all shot digitally) leaves emotions at a chilly remove. What helps are the cool gadgets and cooler villains, notably the great Christopher Lee as Count Dooku and New Zealander Temuera Morrison as bounty hunter Jango Fett, daddy to clone son Boba (Daniel Logan). Even Ewan McGregor has stopped playing Jedi master Obi-wan Kenobi with a stick up his ass. " Read the review

"[E]ntertained? Ah, that sensation is as faint as light from a galaxy far, far away." Read the review

"What's completely missing between this droid and this robot, as well as among the humans, is any jauntiness or sense of fun, camaraderie or purpose." Read the review

"What's missing? A movie, characters, a story. Just those antique elements." Read the review

Quite a mixed bag. The jury's still out in my mind, although a group of my faculty colleages are tempting me to see it opening night. This kind of temptation normally wouldn't be a problem, but one of my colleagues is a female I've had my eye on for a while....

(Oh, and in case you're wondering, yes, I am getting over my girlfriend leaving me about a month ago. LOL! ;) )

Last edited:

MythandLore

First Post
Mistwell said:
Yes, I see all my big budget adventure movies on opening day. Welcome to Los Angeles, where movies are a cultural experience. (though I am not seeing it at 12:01, but at 7pm).
I hear that! I've gone to more then one of those 12am shows, not this time though, to much other stuff, haven't seen spider-man yet ether - which I intend to see before SWE2.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Wolfspider said:
"[E]ntertained? Ah, that sensation is as faint as light from a galaxy far, far away." Read the review

Come good reviews or bad reviews, I'm going to see it. I already gave my two cents on movie critics, such as the oh-so credible Lisa Schwarzbaum (who wrote the review that is linked above), in another thread.

Crossroads, a B+... *shakes his head* ....un-frickin'-believable.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Hey, boys and girls, let me make it clear that if I see any more personal attacks I'm going to hang ye olde padlock on this thread. Be nice. Don't be accusatory or insulting.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
[:D]Cram it, Noah. I've had it up to here with your self-righteous crap. I think YOU shouldn't be accusatory or insulting, you mumbly-mouthed little lapdog. Go hang ye olde padlock on your front door so you can't infect your neighborhood with your rambling, stuporous phlegm-sprayings. [/:D]

Zappo

Explorer
I might end up having to boycott for at least a few hours 'cause the cineplex in my city decided only to take bookings after Tuesday. On top of that, they take bookings only from 17 to 22 each day, and they only have one phone line! What the heck do they have in their mind? Allowing bookings only two days before the movie? Trying to call them will be a nightmare. A bit of bad luck, and I'll find myself having to go on friday.

...what do you mean "this isn't what boycott means"?

:D

Remove ads