• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] What does "under Jacob's condition" mean?

CrazyMage

4th Level Lawful Good Cleric
I picked up a book recently that was published in Germany. They mentioned a possible sequel "sub conditione Jacobi." Now I can do the Latin, but it still doesn't make sense. Can anyone throw some light on what this expression means or where it came from? A search on Google didn't turn up much, except that it appears to be an expression used in Germany (most of the pages found were in German, with one in Swedish).

Thanks

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Hmm... A quick search turned up this:

... z.B. den traditionellen Briefschluss »s. c. (sub conditione) Jacobi« - »so Gott will und wir leben«, eine Erinnerung an die nur bedingte Verfügbarkeit der Zeit ...
Which roughly means in English: ...e.g., the traditional closing words in letters, "s. c. (sub conditione) Jacobi" - "if God wants and we live", a reminder that our time on earth is limited.

Comments:

1. I dunno why Jacobus = God. *shrug* Figures, I guess, 'cause I'm not religious.

2. "Traditional" in the sense of "isn't used today any longer," that is. ;)

Last edited:

Zhure

First Post
"Genesis 50:24
And Joseph said unto his brethren, I die: and God will surely visit you, and bring you out of this land unto the land which he sware to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob."

Just a guess, but I'd imagine it's a reference to God not fulfilling the promise to Jacob until after Jacob dies.

Greg

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Darkness said:
2. "Traditional" in the sense of "isn't used today any longer," that is. ;)

I think a better English word for that concept would be "archaic". But I get what you mean. :) Older folks (born before WW2) sometimes use the phrase "God Willing" in that sort of sentence, which seems to be essentially the same thing. For example, "I'll spend next Christmas in Los Angeles, God Willing." People of younger generations do say it now and then, but not nearly as much.

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
You're right, of course. Thank you, Buttercup. :)

And I think Zhure might be on to something as well.

CrazyMage

4th Level Lawful Good Cleric
Thanks for the replies. I had a hunch that's what it meant, but was hoping for further clarification. I knew you were a smart bunch;)

Dreeble

First Post
Heya:

Some of the replies made me think of the fun saying, "God willing and the creek don't rise." ;) I've seen that used here, rarely, too.

Take care,
Dreeble

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Sounds like the hillbilly (and my family are proud hillbillies, so I'm not name-calling) saying "if the Good Lord's willin' and the creeks don't rise."

EDIT: Durnit, I somehow overlooked Dreeble's reply...

Last edited:

Steverooo

First Post
Them Creek

Dreeble said:
Some of the replies made me think of the fun saying, "God willing and the creek don't rise." ;) I've seen that used here, rarely, too.

N.B., here, that "Creek" (singular and plural) should be capitalized, as it referenced the tribe of AmerIndians, and not minor tributaries...

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads