• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Why is there no Warhammer 40K RPG?

King_Stannis

Explorer
Thyrkill said:
...Their response was that "they were a toy soldier company" and would not be producing anything along those lines. I thought it a strange response...

not strange when you consider the source. GW has often been criticized for showing contempt for their customers, have they not?

R.X.DIEM

First Post
Re: Re: [OT] Why is there no Warhammer 40K RPG?

King_Stannis said:

not strange when you consider the source. GW has often been criticized for showing contempt for their customers, have they not?
:mad: I was a loyal 40k player for years.I have spent thousands on their product. But when ever there was a problem with one of their items or mix ups in what I ordered, their REP would act as if I was the problem. Then It seamed that right after the problem is solved(after many fruitless phone calls and constantly re reading them the product number) they would raise their prices or cancel that particular game again. I have thousands of their minis, does anyone want some?:p They are universally known as GREEDS WORKSHOP for good reason. Hey King _Stannis, Spycraft friday?

Last edited:

Methinkus

First Post
How would anyone not playing a Space Marine expect to survive? Or even be able to compare to whoever was a Space Marine. It’s not like other D20 systems, in Warhammer 40k, certain characters would be outrageously powerful compared to others. Even if you could balance out the "classes" how would you expect characters of different races to band together as an adventuring party while holding true to the background info for their race?

It might be an interesting idea to have a futuristic-dark-goth-fantasy campaign world, but to set it in 40k would be problematic at best.

At least that’s my opinion.

I was a loyal 40k player for years.I have spent thousands on their product. But when ever there was a problem with one of their items or mix ups in what I ordered, their REP would act as if I was the problem. Then It seamed that right after the problem is solved(after many fruitless phone calls and constantly re reading them the product number) they would raise their prices or cancel that particular game again. I have thousands of their minis, does anyone want some? They are universally known as GREEDS WORKSHOP for good reason. Hey King _Stannis, Spycraft friday?

I, on the other hand, have seen them be very helpful over mail order mix-ups. I once got a different orc nobb head than the one I ordered, and when I called them they immediately sent me another head. Of course, it was the same wrong one again, but helpful and competent are two different things! :) Anyway, I called them back again, and then they sent me a whole bag of orc nobb and warlord heads, and some other miscellaneous orc parts as well. I had no idea what to do with them all. But I got the one I wanted. And a bunch of other stuff that they threw in for free.

hong

WotC's bitch
Methinkus said:
How would anyone not playing a Space Marine expect to survive? Or even be able to compare to whoever was a Space Marine. It’s not like other D20 systems, in Warhammer 40k, certain characters would be outrageously powerful compared to others. Even if you could balance out the "classes" how would you expect characters of different races to band together as an adventuring party while holding true to the background info for their race?

Space marines have ECL +10. :p

Wicht

Hero
Re: Re: Re: [OT] Why is there no Warhammer 40K RPG?

R.X.DIEM said:
I have thousands of their minis, does anyone want some?:p

sure since no one else seems to have taken you up on this, email me and I will give you the address to send them to :D

Broken Fang

First Post
Play DragonStar...make up the 40k fluff. Use only a few races: human, eldar, ork, tyranid, chaos (in all its possible forms), and tau...don't think I forgot anyone.

Corinth

First Post
Necrons! :cool:

Now, just where is the RPG play value here? You've got the gang aspect as seen in Necromunda and Gorkamorka, and you have the similiar thing with Inquisitor. Outside of those specific scenarios, I fail to see where the room exists for any sort of RPG gameplay. Not unless you fall back to the old Rogue Trader scenario, or you mine every last bit of flavor text every put out, will you find a scenario that's aminable to the adventure gaming context that works best with RPGs.

Actually you could do some great call of Cthulhu-esque stuff.

In the background material contact with choas is described as warping, unknowable, causing insanity etc (Deja vu? ;)

Choas is spawned on human worlds by highly secrative cults that spawn on out of the way planets/areas. Chosen ones of the faithful are rewarded with foul mutations and marks of choas, the ability to cast spells, socrerous powers.

Is it just me or does that say future Dunwich to you?

The players could be a inquisitor and his various assistants/minions (the investiagators).

But everyone is saying anyone can go look up Khorne, or nugle or Tzeentch or who ever and meta game :)

But everyone knows about Cthulhu to. In the background material (especially those early novels they put out) says that Choas takes manifold forms, and the big 4 are only the very tip of a monster iceberg.

Cthulhu mythos = Choas knowledge of something similar (needs a cool name)

Psi powers = Psi powers as the massive destructive powers in the table-top wargame require extensive mental preperation by psykers, which they cannot maintain on a day to day basis (more background stuff)

Spells = Arcane/unholy rituals.

You could even cart the Sanity rules over wholesale, with groups like the grey knights and the Libarians having a mental hardness due to special training.

It could work really well actually. 40K even has a dark gothic feel of inhumanity which could work for the game. Background material also refers to the demons wanting to burst in from outside and so on.

The DM would just have to stop psi-cannons etc multipyling out of control, and remembering a warm bolter isn't very effective agaist a greater demon. Fighting the intertwined machinations of Tzeentch on a selection of worlds could be a great campagian.

Killer Shrike

First Post
While an enterprising GM could run a niche campaign with a tightly outlined structure and a limited choice of characters, the setting itself is not friendly to Role-Playing in general. As a factioned war game, every race is designed to have an excuse to fight every other race. Its no more sophisticated than a video game or board game in that respect. Blue army fight Red army mentality.

The other problem is the GW has practically no content control. Basically while there is a historical setting to draw from, this is primarily just because the game has been around long enough. A game designer making a product seems to have free reign to make up whatever flavor text they want, the more hyperbole the better. So long as it isnt too obviously out of whack, it seems to fly. GW products are kinda kooky and not meant to be taken too seriously (though there are a lot of fans that seem to miss that point).

I would suggest you look at Fading Suns d20 and/or Dragonstar to see if they can be adapted to the feel of 40k and perhaps incorporate some of your favorite concepts from 40k to suit. You couldnt sell it, but you could certainly play it with your friends.

Alternately you could check out Traveller. Ive always thought there were a lot of similarities in the Traveller bg and the 40k bg. With GW's propensity to mimic other peoples ideas, there's no telling.....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads