Other fairly recent, high-quality, professionally-produced, original fantasy RPGs?

firesnakearies

Explorer
I'm wondering if there are any good alternatives out there to D&D that I should be looking into. I have certain parameters, though:

1.) An original, built-from-scratch system. NOT a reskinning or adaptation of D20/OGL/3.x or older D&D, or of any other old school system, like HERO, Rolemaster, GURPS, or Palladium. While some of the countless OGL-clones out there (such as Pathfinder) look pretty cool, I just don't care to play in anything resembling that system any more.

2.) At least as "crunchy" or rules-heavy as D&D 4E or 3.x, but not as much as Rolemaster or other games with 10,000 charts for every conceivable thing. I don't want some diceless "pick your special color to see what success level you attained, and then we'll come up with a charming narrative together!" sort of thing, but I don't want to make twelve separate die rolls every time I attack a monster, either.

3.) A cool fantasy setting which is interwoven into the game system. Must be fantasy-specific. High fantasy or low fantasy, dark fantasy or epic fantasy, any subset is fine -- but not steampunk or any other blend of fantasy with technological elements. No other weird genres, and no "generic game which you can use for ANY genre -- your imagination's the only limit!" nonsense, either.

4.) Not a "silly" game, but not a wrist-cutting gothic emofest, either. I'm not really interested in a game with a built-in heavy comedic spin, nor an inherent "horror" theme, either. If vampires are a core PC option, forget it, but I'm also not looking to play a game set in Xanth or a similar setting.

5.) Fairly new. Like, say, created within the last 5-6 years or so. Maybe a bit older, as long as it still feels very cool and contemporary. I don't like the "feel" of the old "classics" anymore. I want a game which reads as though it was written from within a cultural context very similar to the one I find myself in today.

6.) I don't care if it's from a large company or a little "indie" house, as long as it is well-made and has decent production values for its products. I want something that seems professional, not cooked up in some guy's living room and bashed out in crappy typeface on cheap paper with some shoddy black and white pencil sketches that the designer's cousin did.

7.) I want something that feels new and different from D&D and all of the other old games I've played, but isn't necessarily trying to be SO "cutting edge" and "unique" and "free-form" and "indie" that it hardly feels like playing a traditional pen-and-paper RPG anymore. A game which supports role-playing, character development, and narrative, but still has a big, robust combat system and is still focused on adventures rather than some kind of nebulous "fantasy life simulation".

8.) Ideally, give me a game which is reminiscent of the best mechanical aspects of older versions of Shadowrun and Earthdawn, 3.x D&D, and 4E D&D, with an original setting that somehow draws out some of the coolness of Dark Sun, FASA's Barsaive, Planescape, Robert E. Howard's Hyborian Age, Michael Moorcock's Elric series, Joe Dever's World of Magnamund, and even a touch or two (the darker bits) of Blizzard's Azeroth, and combines them all into something that feels fresh and new.

There are SO many various RPGs out there now, from thousands of publishers. It's really difficult to even begin to look into them blindly, since most of them seem, at a glance, to be pretty mediocre or catering to some small niche interest. Tons of D20-knockoffs, and tons of games which seem to be trying their hardest to blend in with the style of RPGs written in the late 70's and early 80's. But none of those appeal to me, so I just stick with nice, safe, shiny D&D.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a new game system or two that might fit what I'm looking for, that would be great!

$

Last edited:

xechnao

First Post
a game which takes the best mechanical aspects of...
Hm, I read here a problem OGL D20 culture has created I guess. This approach will most probably guide you to bad results. Fantasy heartbreaker and whatnot.
When you design a new system you want to design it from scratch based on the feel of the game-setting you are striving for.

Said this you would rather need to check out Cadwallon if you like minis.

firesnakearies

Explorer
Hm, I read here a problem OGL D20 culture has created I guess. This approach will most probably guide you to bad results. Fantasy heartbreaker and whatnot.
When you design a new system you want to design it from scratch based on the feel of the game-setting you are striving for.

Said this you would rather need to check out Cadwallon if you like minis.

Yeah, I didn't mean that quite exactly the way I wrote it. Edited.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
If you choose to ignore the presence of technomagical elements in the world, Exalted fits the bill nicely. It's professionally produced by White Wolf; lavishly illustrated; uses a heavily adapted version of their Storyteller dice-pool system; has a decidedly high and epic fantasy feel albeit one informed more by manga, Eastern legends, and the ancient Mediterranean than by Tolkien; its Second Edition came out in 2006, and the First in 2001; definitely features heroic adventurers as its protagonists; absolutely a traditional role-playing game, focused on character development but with a very robust and detailed combat system.

All that said . . . I don't particularly like it, for various reasons, but based on your list you should absolutely check it out.

NerfedWizard

First Post
analysing Omnifray:- http://www.omnifray.com

Considering my game Omnifray (Omnifray RPG - Home) against the backdrop of the OP's parameters, using his numbering:-

1.) Omnifray is an original, built-from-scratch system. NOT a reskinning or adaptation of any other system.

2.) Omnifray is inherently crunchy. But it has lots of options for different ways of doing various things (and many variations of how to handle combat in particular), so precisely how crunchy it is for you is up to you.
Detractors might suggest that it appears intimidatingly complicated or has "10,000 charts for every conceivable thing", but really its core mechanics are generally quite simple in play and the whole game can be run pretty much off two simple charts and a few tables of weapons and armour data, and everything else is up to you (but the detailed guidelines are there if you want them).

3.) Omnifray is set in the Enshrouded Lands, a cool fantasy setting which is interwoven into the game system with NO technological elements. I would like to produce non-fantasy cousin games (Sundered Space is on its way), but Omnifray as published is fantasy-specific.

4.) Omnifray is not a "silly" game, but not a wrist-cutting gothic emofest, either. There might be the occasional silly thing hidden away in there (though I challenge you to spot them!), and "vampire" numbers among a very large number (in the region of 100 or so) of suggested character backgrounds in the Expert Manual (not in the Basic Handbook), but it's certainly not skewed to horror or comedy. It's just very versatile within the Enshrouded Lands setting.

5.) It came out in July 2008, having first been in private circulation in alpha playtest from about the start of 2006. I don't know what cultural context it will feel to you as if it was written in.

6.) I'd have to admit to using Times New Roman 9 Point for a lot of the text, and I can't afford a lot of artwork, but what artwork there is I personally like, and it's all from independent artists contracted at arm's length. It's out on Lulu, very nicely bound, and looks nice and shiny, with (I think) lovely covers.

7.) It's new and different from all of the old games you've played, but isn't trying to be SO "cutting edge" and "unique" and "free-form" and "indie" that it hardly feels like playing a traditional pen-and-paper RPG anymore. A game which supports role-playing, character development, and narrative, but still has a big, robust combat system and is still focused on adventures rather than some kind of nebulous "fantasy life simulation".

8.) It's original, so I can't vouch that you'll find it reminiscent of things you've liked in the past.

Matt

Last edited:

Betote

First Post
I'd suggest Warhammer Fantasy RPG 2e, as something with its own original system and a really good setting.

OTOH, Mongoose RuneQuest is not exactly "fairly recent", but it has its own setting (Glorantha) as well as some stand-alone ones (Elric, Corum, Land of Ninja...).

Savage Worlds has quite a few fantasy settings, although they usually add a little twist.

And, of course, there's always Exalted.

These are the ones that come to mi mind right now.

Ry

Explorer
Burning Wheel isn't D&D-like, but it meets your other criteria. The game is about characters fighting for what they believe in, and they get rewarded for roleplaying to that in a tight little system called the Artha Wheel. The books aren't in colour but the system is really hot and there's good support.

A full-color, light version of the rules is coming out as the Mouse Guard RPG.

Desolation isn't rules-heavy (it uses the relatively new Ubiquity system), but the world is detailed, and it's a nice take on traditional fantasy with a twist.

Remove ads