Other/new fantasy rpg settings

Mercurius

Legend
Lots of discussion of D&D worlds in the D&D forum, but I'd like to open a thread to discuss other (mostly fantasy) settings that aren't (necessarily) tied to D&D. Feel free to mention any and all, but I'm primarily interested in relatively new ones that have come out over the last 5-10 years. I'm also very interested in settings that have significant coverage--that is, not just as a few pages in a big rules book.

First, some classics. My four favorite older settings are Talislanta, Shadow World, Earthdawn and Everway, the first three of which came out in the 80s, the latter in the 90s. Talislanta is the quintessential "exotic fantasy" setting; Shadow World was the default setting for Rolemaster; Earthdawn is the pre-history for Shadowrun, with a very "points-of-light" vibe. Everway is a bit forgotten, unfortunately. Designed by the ever-prolific Jonathan Tweet, WotC published it before it purchased TSR, and it was sort of the mystical cousin to Planescape.

Other good settings from Days of Yore include Tekumel, Glorantha, Harn, Atlantis, Warhammer, Jorune (science-fantasy), Titan, Agone, Theah (7th Sea) etc, as well as licensed settings like Hyborian Age, Melnibone, Middle-earth, Dying Earth, Corum, and others.

More recent settings that I've enjoyed are Numenera (also science fantasy), Symbaroum, Realms of Terrinoth, Ehdrigohr, Artesia, and Aventuria.

Finally, I'd like to mention the Beyonder game, which was the primary inspiration for this thread. It has a bit of a Talislanta vibe and seems very well conceived.

So what are some other (recent-ish) non-D&D fantasy settings I might have missed? I'm curious about Forbidden Lands, which feels very old school, although I haven't investigated it too thoroughly.

Last edited:

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
I was a fan of Everway and glad to see it get mentioned here.

The Four Lands of Terry Brook's Shannara series was considerably popular for a couple decades. As was The Land of Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever series of novels.

Mercurius

Legend
I was a fan of Everway and glad to see it get mentioned here.

The Four Lands of Terry Brook's Shannara series was considerably popular for a couple decades. As was The Land of Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever series of novels.

True, true--and many others from novels. I probably should have been clear that I meant rpgs...I edited the title to reflect that.

Among novel settings, the two I'd most like to receive RPG treatment are Earthsea and Malazan.

atanakar

Hero
Romance of the Perilous Land by Scott Malthouse, Osprey Games.

Romance of the Perilous Land is a roleplaying game of magic and adventure set in the world of British folklore, from the stories of King Arthur to the wonderful regional tales told throughout this green and pleasant land. It is a world of romantic chivalry, but also of great danger, with ambitious kings, evil knights, and thieving brigands terrorising the land, while greedy giants, malevolent sorcerers, and water-dwelling knuckers lurk in the shadows. As valiant knights, mighty barbarians, subtle cunning folk, and more, the players are heroes, roaming the land to fight evil, right wrongs, and create their own legends.

I use it for my solitary quest. It is really simple, well designed and with an integrated setting. This is the 2e of the game. Probably why it feels so complete. The kinks have been ironed out.

Midkemia, by Midkemia Press, if they're still extant.

Lankhmar, though that was D&D last I saw.

I'd love to see Prydain, or Narnia, or the Amber Chronicles settings.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Midkemia, by Midkemia Press, if they're still extant.

Lankhmar, though that was D&D last I saw.

I'd love to see Prydain, or Narnia, or the Amber Chronicles settings.

Lankhmar is currently being published by Goodman Games for Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Rich Baker's Primeval Thule got a lot of good notice when it came out a few years back.

I've been hearing good things about Odyssey of the Dragon Lord's.

Aldarc

Legend
Shadow of the Demon Lord (Rob Schwalb) has a prolific amount of published materials. Setting feels like a mix of Warhammer and Diablo.

Aldis (Blue Rose by Green Ronin Publishing): romantic fantasy. Was the basis of what became the True20 system and then republished and updated for the AGE system.

Aventuria (Der Schwarze Auge / The Dark Eye): one of the most popular fantasy settings in Germany

Diamond Throne (Monte Cook): kinda shouldn't count since it's built on the d20 system, but it's technically not D&D. The world was meant to evoke the fantasy tropes of Thomas Covenant and Earthsea, with magical true names, rituals, oaths, runes, etc.

Invisible Sun (Monte Cook): surrealistic urban fantasy.

Remove ads