• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Our Physical Fitness

Grehnhewe

First Post
You are on the right track, unfortunately stomach fat is the first and last thing dudes gain/loose. Better than ass or thighs if you ask me. If you keep on keepin on, it is going to fade away with good diet, abdominal workouts and calorie burning.

Yeah I eat chicken too, but I love fish...in particular sushi!

i have actually been increasing my carbs a little too, I think of it as gas for a car. Good thing to eat sometimes if you are going to burn it off anyways,

i would never do a cheat day, that is just sabotage. If you are eating right and working out, eating French fries, pizza, hamburgers or a candy bar occasionally will have no effect.

Last edited:

Nellisir

Hero
I'm 41, 6', and been about 195 lbs for the past...ten or twelve years? I was up to 210 at one point, and down to 180 about two years ago, during a major depression (best part of it). I don't work out, but try to be physically active. I work outdoors a lot, and don't have a huge appetite.

That said, my stamina and energy are both pretty low, and it's time to change a few things. I drink way too much coca-cola. I'd like to lose about 20-25 lbs and improve the stamina and durability a bit. My sister and her husband did PX-90 and liked it, so that's up for consideration, along with the basic changing diet, etc, etc.

Nellisir

Hero
Last month: http://www.totalbullgrit.com/blog/continuing-fitness-now-at-46-years-old/ :) Exactly the same.

1-1.5 hours a day, 6 days a week, for 9 months got me here. I've maintained since then. I do the workouts in front of the TV in my den. Without measuring, I'd say I use about 10'x10' of the space. For a visual of my workout space, here are some pics, (you don't have to read the post): http://www.totalbullgrit.com/blog/more-on-my-workouts/

Bullgrit

Frack. Inspirational, man. You were exactly where I am right now, and I'd like to be where you are right now.

bone_naga

Explorer
I do crossfit and I lift. I also do obstacle runs. Run For Your Lives was pretty good. I also eat relatively healthy. I don't count calories or anything, I just try to eat healthy foods. I also started drinking more hard liquor instead of beer.

bone_naga

Explorer
Also, while I absolutely hate running, switching to minimalist running has helped me a lot (I have bad knees). I also sometimes do a ruck march. I just throw a couple weights into a rucksack and carry it when I walk my dog.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What is "minimalist running"? I can't run any more because if I do the next day my left knee decides that stairs are an agony-inspiring obstacle, and chairs must never be gotten out of. So I'm now a walker.

Grehnhewe

First Post
What is "minimalist running"? I can't run any more because if I do the next day my left knee decides that stairs are an agony-inspiring obstacle, and chairs must never be gotten out of. So I'm now a walker.
Minimalist running in its strictest sense is emulating barefoot running as best you can. For me it is about wearing low drop, light and less cushioned shoes that allows me personally to concentrate on a style that has less heel landing and more midsole landing and toe launching.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Minimalist running in its strictest sense is emulating barefoot running as best you can. For me it is about wearing low drop, light and less cushioned shoes that allows me personally to concentrate on a style that has less heel landing and more midsole and toe launching.

Is that better for knees? (That being my particular issue).

bone_naga

Explorer
Running while wearing minimalist shoes. If you have seen the vibram five fingers (the ones that look like foot gloves), those are an example of minimalist shoes, although some look a lot like normal shoes.

Basically, they have almost no padding or heel elevation (hence the term "minimalist"). To run in them properly, you have to change your running form to avoid heel-striking. When you get it down, your body will naturally absorb the impact of running better than the tiny bit of foam that's under your normal shoes. Also, you don't wear out your shoes as quickly because your feet don't drag across the ground as much. It's also more energy-efficient for your body. It sucks at first because it uses muscles that most people don't use that much anymore, but once your body catches up you will find that it's less fatiguing on your muscles and you don't breathe as hard while running at the same pace.

Some people will just go straight barefoot. I've done it a few times but usually it's nice to have some small bit of protection.

You can find youtube videos that show how it's done. Search for minimalist running, barefoot running, or chi running.

Remove ads