Our sci-fi adventure path

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I first read SANTIAGO back in - I think - the early 90s. I've re-read it a few times since then, even loosely based a homebrew D&D campaign (a fantasy version of it) on it. Structurally, it's ideally suited to an adventure path; it's going to be a lot of fun!

Khairn

First Post
Web page looks great! Although the Forum link didn't work for me.

Crazy idea.
Run a contest for those groups who post a journal of their games. With the winning group members getting a stanza about their characters written by Black Orpheus.

Oh yeah ... just a little stoked about this.:blush:

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I was checking out the class previews and noticed that the Engineering skill is based off of Wisdom while the Engineer's primary attribute is Intelligence. Not to tell you your business but maybe switch one of them so they're aligned?

I'd be disappointed if someone's Frontiersman was a better engineer than my Engineer.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I was checking out the class previews and noticed that the Engineering skill is based off of Wisdom while the Engineer's primary attribute is Intelligence. Not to tell you your business but maybe switch one of them so they're aligned?

I'd be disappointed if someone's Frontiersman was a better engineer than my Engineer.

That's all just "concept" stuff - we haven't actually written anything yet. :)

Last edited:

ravenheart

Explorer
That's all just "concept" stuff - we haven't actually written anything yet. :)

I hope you don't mind feedback on the "concept" stuff though? 'Cause I aswell have a few remarks coming to mind. These ideas may be contradictory to the tone or style of the setting as I haven't read Resnick's books myself, but I think they would be more "mechanically sound" IMHO.

1) Completely separate energy from credits. Make them less interchangeable (switching from one to the other can only be used in civilized and "friendly" locales) but use both as expendable resources (treasure if you like).

Equipment, and maybe some software, could require energy to use. Storage units of various capacity (that you buy using credits) would be required to store energy. Some equipment might even be used to generate energy over time.

2) Engineering seems to be too similar to Tech in my opinion. I guess Engineering is directly derived from Dungeoneering? Engineering seems to be the more physical equivalent of Tech (Wis-based, practical associations), and could there fore be associated with Hardware as Tech deals with software.

Hardware could be more akin to what the artificer should/could've been, operating machinery and fixing equipment (direct), while software relates to hacking and making existing software better and more efficient (indirect).

3) Religion feels out of place as a skill in a sci-fi setting, where there are no "real" gods and other extraplanar creatures. There are, however, extraterrestrial creatures and an assortment of planetary/galactic cultures. So how does replacing Religion with something akin to Culture sound?

I'm making some assumptions of the setting here, and I apologize if I'm far of there, but isn't there something missing from the setting's current skill-set? For example, monster knowledge checks are based on its origin which determinines which skill to use - how many monsters can be related to Tech or Engineering associated origins? Robots and computer viruses? Case for Culture.

One could argue that Culture as a skill also is occupied by History (of a culture), aswell as all Cha-based skills (knowing how to influence people depending on their culture), but I think there is room for a skill specific to the knowledge of cultures in itself. One could even fold in History with this, and further deviate from 4E by expanding on nature into more scientific realms (biology, geography, astronomy). Maybe even add some other more relevant skill.

Anyway, I digress. Love what you're doing, keep up the good work!

Remove ads