Our sci-fi adventure path

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, the point of a gun duel is that you build up to it, and it occurs in an environment where it's a marginally acceptable way to resolve a dispute, but a straight-up attack isn't. Even if you're on the frontier, if you just go around killing folks, the law will run you down.

But if someone's offended your good name, or has wronged you, you can challenge him publicly and force a duel. If other people interrupt, they lose face.

I know. :)

It's about striking a balance between gamism and simulationism, as these things always are. Your approach seems overly long and fiddly to me and uses too many non-core concepts. I'd rather see something which achieves the same goal but is a bit easier to manage. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't remember any duels in Santiago...

They happen quite a lot on other Resnick books. In Santiago, the types are a bit more varied - for example, ManMountain Bates vs. The Angel is - dramatically - a duel, but it's a brawler vs. a blade guy. But in other books, there are quite a lot of stand-off pistol duels.

raptor112

First Post
I must say this does interest me ALOT, as I have two different scifi/fantasy game ideas for 4E. I'm not familar though with this writer. Are their going to be any alien races/alien PC races for this adventure path or is it a human only scifi setting?

KidSnide

Adventurer
Well, we don't want to deviate from D&D too much. The idea is that it's a D&D adventure path, not D&D 4.5 in space. We don't want people to have to learn new rules or anything.

We're toying with the idea of changing the feel of combat by givnig the ranged weapons drastically longer ranges, and doing the "half hit points, extra damage" thing with monsters to make them shorter and more dangerous - and cut out the grind.

I like the idea that we could use the adventure path without having to learn new rules. That having been said, it wouldn't confuse me if Engineering was based on Int instead of Wis. Nor would it confuse me to see Religion eliminated altogether. In other words, I wouldn't change things just to make them different, but I'd cut out the material that doesn't make sense for the setting.

-KS

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sure, there's a balance to be struck. We're in the very early concept stages right now, so nothing is set in stone - except that it will be friggin' awesome!

We're playing with aliens right now. Given that there are hundreds of thousands of alien races, we're probably not going to define specific races. There will be "Human" (per core rules) and "Alien" which will be a flexible race which allows you to choose three "Alien Feats" each of which modifies the base race.

raptor112

First Post
Sure, there's a balance to be struck. We're in the very early concept stages right now, so nothing is set in stone - except that it will be friggin' awesome!

We're playing with aliens right now. Given that there are hundreds of thousands of alien races, we're probably not going to define specific races. There will be "Human" (per core rules) and "Alien" which will be a flexible race which allows you to choose three "Alien Feats" each of which modifies the base race.
Sounds pretty cool, Does this mean "normal" D&D races such as halfling, dragonborn, shifter and the like are going to be "alien" feats added to a base race template? Or can they be added as is?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sounds pretty cool, Does this mean "normal" D&D races such as halfling, dragonborn, shifter and the like are going to be "alien" feats added to a base race template? Or can they be added as is?

It doesn't mean anything yet - it's very pre-conceptual. We'll probably have a sidebar that says "if you can imagine it, it exists - so take your dwarf, warforged, shifter, etc. and give it an alien name and you're done!" But it's by no means anything more than half a thought at thus stage.

raptor112

First Post
It doesn't mean anything yet - it's very pre-conceptual. We'll probably have a sidebar that says "if you can imagine it, it exists - so take your dwarf, warforged, shifter, etc. and give it an alien name and you're done!" But it's by no means anything more than half a thought at thus stage.
Cool, cool. hopefully you'll have interesting "alien" feats that any race can take. How will playtesting be handled?

Remove ads