• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Out of the Abyss - No Drizzt afterall?

Remathilis

Legend
Judged as literature, yeah, they're pretty damn bad.

Fortunately, I don't think Salvatore was aiming for "literature" so much as "unabashedly entertaining". So saying he doesn't stack up against, say, Steinbeck is to miss the point, much like saying a "Fast & Furious" movie doesn't stack up against "Citizen Kane".

Well, yeah. My point was not to compare Crystal Shard to Great Gatsby, but that because it doesn't meet that level doesn't make it trash either.

delericho

Legend
And I explained why *I* don't like Salvatore's Drizzt series. I don't think anyone would argue that it is great literature (ahem, "Harvard reading list"), and I don't think it's very good genre writing either. It's competent IP-writing (you know- someone churning out someone else's intellectual property).

Um... he's only using someone else's IP in the sense that WotC technically own it. Drizzt and co were Salvatore's own creation, just as surely as D&D was Gygax's.

delericho

Legend
Fair enough- but I'm somewhat surprised that you'd think that those books wouldn't get published, then.

I didn't say that. I said I wasn't convinced "The Great Gatsby" and "To Kill a Mockingbird" would get published today. Because the one is very much a product of its time and because I fear the other would be crowded out by other, lesser, courtroom dramas.

Remove ads