• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Out of the Abyss - No Drizzt afterall?

delericho

Legend
Probably come up with a better example.

What I'm trying to get at is that while from an ownership perspective Drizzt is WotC's IP, from a creative perspective he can be said to be RAS's IP because he was the originator.

Or, to put it another way, there's a distinction between RAS writing Drizzt for WotC (and so using characters he originated) versus RAS writing Star Wars for Lucasfilm (and so using characters created by others).

delericho

Legend
Again, though, I am unclear what you are saying.

"I'm honestly not convinced that "The Great Gatsby" or "To Kill a Mockingbird" would get published today."

There's no hidden meaning there.

I originally thought your point was that books like that don't get published, which I thought was both odd and completely wrong. But you changed it to those exact books wouldn't be published at this exact time- which is beyond odd.

Sorry, but I didn't change anything; you misread me.

delericho

Legend
I apologize for my own incorrect language- you did not change it. I should have written that I misunderstood you. I assumed you were making an incorrect point, as opposed to a completely bizarre one.

I, too, agree that given different facts and times, things might be different, in ways that no one can truly understand. :p

Fair enough - apology accepted. Nonetheless, I think we're done here.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I'm glad Driz'zt isn't in here just so he doesn't overshadow the PC actions. I've read a couple of the early books way back when but that is about it. My brother and one of my other players have read most of the RAS Drizz't stuff but outside that the rest of my group has no idea who he is, and I've never had drow PC in any of my games, though for the most part we were always in Greyhawk before 5e.

Remove ads