D&D 5E Out of the Abyss - No Drizzt afterall?

Iosue

Legend
So I have been thumbing through my copy of Out of the Abyss and I was initially concerned that Drizzt would be in the spotlight too much, but now after browsing the highlights and stuff, I don't see one mention of him outside of the Forward by Perkins? Did I miss something here? Did WotC decide against injecting him into the story?

He's totally in the story; there's going to be a novel and everything. He showed up at the Acquisitions Inc game. The Rage of Demons story, that is. What WotC has never said, but people for some reason assumed anyway, was that he would part of the Out of the Abyss tabletop RPG adventure.

Green1

First Post
I am kind of glad he is not in there too. But, let's be honest. A lot of folks I know have had disdain for modules, anyways, and would have never seen the dreaded Drow Mary Sue. My deal has been more WotC has been pumping modules and not core books which I am more in the market for.

But still, I guess modules do have a place if you need a game for 5 neckbeards to run for and not be unemployed or a professional student to endlessly draw up a homebrew. I also guess I should be thankful they are not going the insane route of continuous splat books of 3E or needing 3 PHBs for even classic choices like 4E. Keeping track of all those got obnoxious at times.

Plus, we can theorycraft the Big Bads of the Abyss all day which beats a novel character any day.

Someone should totally run a tactical combat with all the Big Bads against each other in grid combat. That would be interesting.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Because as DMs we are sick of seeing a Drizzt clone in every campaign we run. Or the people who insist on playing Drizzt himself. We can love the character in the book, we don't need 10 of him running around in our games. Fanboyism is annoying.

Do people REALLY have those or is it like the stories where the infected spider bite starts spilling baby spiders? The only Drizzt clone I ever ran into was in 1987, actually BEFORE The Crystal Shard was published, and I don't think I've ever seen a dual wielding scimitar-equipped dark elf in my D&D games in 25 years. Not to say it's NEVER happened, but I just haven't seen it as a common occurrence. I've seen far more Housewives on the Bravo Channel than I have seen drow wielding scimitars. :)

Green1

First Post
Do people REALLY have those or is it like the stories where the infected spider bite starts spilling baby spiders? The only Drizzt clone I ever ran into was in 1987, actually BEFORE The Crystal Shard was published, and I don't think I've ever seen a dual wielding scimitar-equipped dark elf in my D&D games in 25 years. Not to say it's NEVER happened, but I just haven't seen it as a common occurrence. I've seen far more Housewives on the Bravo Channel than I have seen drow wielding scimitars. :)

Henry, I can not be sure, but I think it has less to do with armies of dual wield Drow clones infecting gamers everywhere and more to do with they may get newer players in that have been inspired by bad boys in novels and games and they come thinking they will play some hero instead of a weak level 1 character. I think it is more anti-powergamer and pro strict control bias. The new players hear stories of the super heroes be it Thrall (WoW), Dritzz, Legolas, or whatever pop character from other genres and get disappointed when their want to play something powerful is overridden by existing DMs and players who strictly do low level.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Did not think he was in Out of the Abyss but was in Rage of Demons, two different books? Or is this just one book with many titles? Oh, man feel like I have black pudding on my face.

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I've seen far more Housewives on the Bravo Channel than I have seen drow wielding scimitars. :)
I have had two players that "always" wanted to play a drow and use two scimitars. I hated it as they were not a playable race in my games and had to deal with the players whining about it. When I got to be a player, there they were the drow clones. Thought it was so stupid, I once made every male drow in the underdark a freaking clone.

Green1

First Post
I have had two players that "always" wanted to play a drow and use two scimitars. I hated it as they were not a playable race in my games and had to deal with the players whining about it. When I got to be a player, there they were the drow clones. Thought it was so stupid, I once made every male drow in the underdark a freaking clone.

And what is wrong with giving the players what they want? Hell, I will let them play dragons with class levels as long as everyone in the party is about the same power level. Having players is nice. Powergaming, done right, is nothing to be ashamed of. Done right, it can be very deep and story driven. Even the super hero comic books had epic stories.

But I DO love your "Drittz clone army" idea. I am imagining some feydark region where everyone is a 20th level Drittz with a few epic boons. Maybe a region curse would be as you stay there, you need to make a CHA save or slowly turn to a male Drow and have a compulsion to dual wield. Only a Wish or Dispel Good and Evil can reverse it. Even better.. the village is like the old Doctor Who episode "Tomb of the Cybermen" where the army of Drittzes awaken out of their vile tombs and hunt down and try to upgrade the party!

Remove ads