D&D 5E Out of the Abyss- Post your pre-set encounters *Spoilers*

Daern

Explorer
Yup. I think it's worthwhile to include some terrain information that maybe lets partys avoid combat as well as a twist of some sort to allow for RP and revelations. You might as well.
The Dungeon Dozen blog is good for getting ideas for this. The DonJon generator is good for treasures trinkets etc.

Kestrel

Explorer
Resurrecting this thread.

Just had a session this weekend. Made the following random encounter, combined with the Oozing Temple.

The party have just begun travel on the Darklake from Sloobludop to Gracklestugh. They left a narrow tunnel filled with rapids into a very large cavern filled with a small lake, inside of which were three islands, two small ones barely above the water and a large one rising 50' out of the water. Their kuo-toan guide, Slippery, told them the small islands were good place to rest, but to avoid the large one. He said it is called the island of lights.

The Island of Lights. It has an old ruined stairway, carved from the island rock, running from the edge of the water to the top of the island's promontory. The staircase is flanked by small broken pillars, topped by wispy floating lights. At the top of the island is a stone building, set into the rock of the island. There is a stone door that leads into the building (think old barrow). Floating before it, barely above the ground, is a glowing feminine spirit. She calls out to those that rest on the neighboring islands, asking for help. Visitors will also notice, just out of the light, buzzing creatures. As they walk up the stairs, one will land on a pillar, and they can see it is a stirge. It will not attack unless attacked.

The spirit wants them to cleanse the evil temple within the barrow and then it will be free. The spirit will not let them touch her or try to go through her form. Inside the door of the barrow, is a spiral staircase, slimy and moldy, descending into the rock. I gave it a depth of 70'. When the party reaches the bottom of the stairs, they will hear the stone door grinding shut, way above them. The bottom of the staircase leads to Area 1 of the Oozing Temple. I kept everything else the same, except I dropped the bit about the temple flooding. The only way out is the water pool in area 6, which leads to an underwater tunnel that tunnels out beneath the island to the lake.

The floating feminine spirit is Granny Greenbumps, a green hag who worships the Faceless Lord. She uses her illusion magic to lure in victims. She closes the door after her victims head in the temple and then gathers whatever remains after a few days. She has 12 stirges as pets, and if attacked, will screech, "Get them my pretties!" as combat begins.

Goober4473

Explorer
Here are a few I put together by combing terrain and creature encounters, as well as some of the flavor from DM_Jeff's tables above.

Carrion and Crystals (450 XP; non-combat)

The adventurers pass through a Faerzress suffused area containing fist-sized chunks of quartz that shed dim light in a 10-foot radius. A sharp blow to one of the crystals, including throwing it so it hits a hard surface causes it to burst in 40-foot flash of blinding light. Any creature Within the radius must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or be blinded for 1 minute. A creature blinded by this effect repeats the Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On a successful save, it is no longer blinded.

The characters can harvest up to twelve of the crystals in total, but taking the time to do so increases the drow pursuit level by l. Four crystals are loose and can be taken with no drawback.

Creatures: A carrion crawler (MM 37, CR 2) wanders the area, confused and bewildered by the crystals. It has a saddle, but no rider. A successful DC 13 Wisdom (Animal Handling) check allows a character to approach and mount the creature. Otherwise, it flees.

Resting Traders (3,375 XP; non-combat)

Duergar traders have set up camp in one of a dozen of ruined stone structures scattered about next to a small stream. Most of the buildings are completely collapsed, but a few stray walls stand, and the one chosen by the duergar has all four walls, though no ceiling or door.

Creatures: 6 duergar (MM 122, CR 1) with 3 male steeders (OotA 231, CR 1/4) are camped here. They are willing to sell the following. They will also purchase up to 50 gp worth of gems.

• 1 extra food box worth of food (10 gp)
  • 3 war picks (10 gp each)
  • 2 warhammers (20 gp each)
  • 1 greatsword (75 gp)
  • 3 cases of 20 crossbow bolts (2 gp each)
  • 1 set of ring mail armor (30 gp)

If the PCs make a bad impression, the Duergar point the drow in the right direction, increasing their pursuit tracks by 1.

Treasure: In addition to their wares and equipment, the Duergar have 120 gp and 60 days’ worth of food (4 extra food boxes). They each carry a mess kit and a bedroll, and they have a large iron pot for cooking stew.

Hulk Run! (1,800 XP)

Small pockets of bubbling lava light up a large open area with a crimson glow. After a while, the tunnel thins and the glow subsides.

Creatures: An umber hulk smashes out from the wall suddenly as the PCs leave the area, attacking any creature in its way. Characters are surprised unless they make a DC 15 Wisdom (Perception check) to notice a rumbling sound.

The creature’s carapace is smoking and smoldering, and it has only 71 hit points remaining. On its third turn, it disengages and runs. A Passive Perception of 13 or better from any character that can see into the hole the hulk emerged from notifies the PCs that a faint orange glow is beginning to emanate from inside.

At the start of the hulk’s next turn, lava burst from the hole it left. Any creature within 20 feet of the hole must make a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw, taking 6d6 fire damage on a failed save.

If the characters end up on the correct side of the lava flow, reduce the drow pursuit track by 1. Otherwise, they have to backtrack, and the drow pursuit track is increased by 1 instead.

Maddened Bandits (1,500 XP)

Great columns of unworked stone show signs of cracking, crumbling, and sabotage in this long, 60-foot wide tunnel.

Creatures: Six bandits (MM 343, CR 1/8) and a bandit captain (MM 344, CR 2) wander aimlessly in the area, starving and almost feral in appearance. They have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks to notice the party’s approach.

When encountered, the bandits begin to howl and scream in horrible discord as the rhythmic thumping of drums rises from somewhere deep below. The PCs much each make a DC 11 Wisdom saving throw against madness.

Treasure: The captain carries a scroll of hunger of hadar in addition to his other equipment.

Fungus Alarm (1,350 XP)

A 60-foot high cliff, covered in fungus, blocks the way. A rope ladder is visible but retracted at the top of the cliff. Two successful DC 15 Strength (Athletics) checks allows a character to climb the cliff. A failure results in a fall: 20 feet if the first check fails, and 50 if the second fails.

If the characters avoid the ladder, they lose 1 day of travel. If they destroy (or keep) the ladder, reduce the drow pursuit track by 1.

Creatures: 3 shriekers (MM 138, CR 0) grow near the top of the cliff. 2 gricks (MM 173, CR 2) are alerted by the shrieking, and arrive from above 30 second later.

Treasure: The gricks’ lair, a few hundred feet down the tunnel above the cliff, contains a humanoid skeleton wearing a cloak of the manta ray.

Stream (0-2,000 XP; non-combat)

A waterway 20 feet wide cuts across the party's path. The stream is shallow and easily crossed, and the character can drink and refresh their water supplies. Edible fish inhabit the stream. so that the DC of any foraging attempts for food in this area is reduced to 10. Crossing the stream reduces the draw pursuit level by 1.

Creatures: Five giant spiders (MM 328, CR 1) make their webs downstream. The first web is 60 feet down, and the remaining webs are separated by 20-30 feet. The spiders are more interested in catching fish than adventurers, but will attack if their webs are disturbed.

Werebat

Explorer
Does anyone have good ideas for Darklake encounters?
I ran one with a whirlpool created by 3 merrow. It was a tough encounter and reinforced the "creatures corrupted by Demogorgon" theme, as the party is heading from the Kuo-Tua village to Gracklestugh by boat.
Next I'm thinking of a "run aground" with a green hag encounter... could use some ideas.

LOL I did exactly those two encounters! Let the merrow drag boats into the whirlpool instead of capsizing them. Tough encounter.

Goober4473

Explorer
Here are a few Darklake encounters I put together. I'd like to spice up the hag encounter a little, and provide some more choices for the party, but I'm not sure how.

A Tight Spot (1,600 XP)

A tight passage causes the boat to get stuck (no check to avoid; I want to provide choices, not just rolls). Two successful DC 14 Strength (Athletics) checks free the boat, but a character must get out and push to make these checks. The party can instead spend a half hour slowly pushing the boat forward from inside, but the drow pursuit track is increased by 1 if they do.

Creatures: Four swarms of quippers (MM 338, CR 1) attack anyone that enters the water. A passive perception (or check) of 13 or better reveals an odd number of fish in the water.

Troll Toll (1,800 XP)

A massive stone water lock provides passage beyond a waterfall, but the mechanism to control it is hidden. A successful DC 15 Intelligence (Investigation) locates the switch within a nearby wall after a few minutes. On a failure, the search takes over an hour, and the drow pursuit track is increased by 1.

Creatures: An aquatic troll (MM 291, CR 5; swim 30 ft., breathes water) guards the lock and knows where the switch is. The troll demands to eat one of the party in exchange for passage. If they refuse, it attacks them.

A successful DC 14 Charisma (Persuasion) check convinces the troll to take 40 pounds of meat as tribute instead. Another DC 18 Charisma (Persuasion) can persuade the troll to lower this offer to 20 pounds.

A successful DC 18 Charisma (Deception) check convinces the troll that the party tastes bad or aren’t worth fighting, but tastier or easier food is following them. The troll will not only let them pass, but will delay the drow. Reduce the drow pursuit track by 1.

Hag Help (700 XP)

The party becomes hopelessly lost in a maze of watery passages.

Creatures: Nanny Plunk, a green hag (MM 177, CR 3), appears on a nearby rock in the guise of a wizened old drow. She offers to help them find their way in exchange for payment. She will accept virtually any offer, since she only wants to lead them into danger, but she first requests anything obvious and shiny one of the characters wears or holds.

If the players accept her guidance, she hops into their boat and leads them around erratically, wasting their time until they get wise to her or their pursuers catch up to them.

If they attack her, she attempts to turn invisible and flee. If they capture her, or she is reduced to half hit points, she surrenders and will lead them out of the maze.

Valdier

Explorer
Does anyone have good ideas for Darklake encounters?
I ran one with a whirlpool created by 3 merrow. It was a tough encounter and reinforced the "creatures corrupted by Demogorgon" theme, as the party is heading from the Kuo-Tua village to Gracklestugh by boat.
Next I'm thinking of a "run aground" with a green hag encounter... could use some ideas.

I ran one with the green hag specifically.

She had taken the shape of a young female drow, shapely but in rags. She was a lonely source of light on a small island within the darkness. The party approached hoping to find help in the waters as they drifted. When they arrived the drow told them she would happily share her fire and meat for a share of their own stores, 1/2 in fact.

It was odd to them that she had the voice of an old sickly woman for looking so attractive. Her rags barely covered her with a top and skirt that went about mid thigh. When they showed doubt, the old hag reassured them, "I give you meat first, wait here... wait here." Slowly walking over the rise of the small island, they could see the light of the fire reflected and smell the smoke. When she returned, she had a plate of fresh torn/cut meat, dark on one side, bloody and fresh on the other. The monk spotted the blood running down her thighs, from under her skirt. The slight shake and quiver of her legs at what must have happened to obtain the meat.

As they stepped back in horror, she said "no! More meat I give! Trade!" and she ripped another strip from her arm, fresh bloody meat for dining.

This led to a battle with the single hag against the party, holding her own her disguised flesh was torn from her with each swing. She had gone mad being so close to the demon prince himself below the darklake. She had been surviving off consuming her own flesh that was shed from her disguise ability and craved something new.

Needless to say, they didn't sleep on the island that night. Oh... and a madness check.

The inspiration is this old picture of the green hag from earlier editions

9859375.jpg

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Encounter: Angry two-headed stone giant smashing walls causing a rockfall on the PCs.

Encounter: Drow scout watching for party in crystal forest or area of crystals.

Encounter: Quaggoth spore servants hanging on sides of chasm with bridge watching the party cross. Made them very paranoid.

Encounter: Umber hulks burrowing from wall to attack PCs. Four umber hulks is a surprisingly tough fight for six level 4 PCs.

I tended to work in elements of the adventure into random encounters. The random encounters were mostly weak. I considered them important for xp pacing. I only ran the random encounters I felt would be a challenge or add to the story.

Remove ads