"Out of the Frying Pan" - Book II: Catching the Spark (Part Two) - {complete}

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I was just working on the next installment - it is one of those difficult ones to write - lots of dialogue and exposition - lots of NPCs to introduce. . .

But expect it over the weekend. . .

Oh, and keep that roll call coming!

Where is Dawn? Where is Old One? Where is Halma? Who else are we missing?

Ciaran

First Post
Fortunately, after the next couple of entries, things should speed up a bit, as that's when things take a turn towards the OLD SKOOL! Yeah!

- Eric

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
New Aquerra Campaign

As I have mentioned before, there will be a New Aquerra Campaign running concurently with the "Out of the Frying Pan" campaign.

The Promised Land will be run by Sean Teasdale (aka Rastfar), long term Aquerra player and DM.

For more info on the campaign check out this thread in the Gamer Seeking Gamer forum.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
More dwarves than you could shake a stick at. . .

Session #37

“Friends! I have found Kazrack Delver!” Helrahd cried as he broke into the camp. There was a sudden cheer. “He come now behind me with his {gurgle, spit} companions.”

Kazrack led the party into clearing, while Ratchis fell to the back. There were nine dwarves here, of various ages. They all bore armor and weapons, though of differing styles, and some of them seemed to be passing around a clay jug.

Two dwarves stepped forward from the crowd. The first was Belear He appeared much as he had before, except now he wore a suit of fine chain mail, and had warhammer at his side. His black beard was wound in two braids, his streaks of white swirled in them. Belear and Kazrakc grasp wrist and shook, Belear patting the younger dwarf on the shoulder.

“Kazrack. It is good to see you again. It looks like you have been through some great ordeal,” Belear spoke in his usual grave tone, as he sized up his road-weary and injured former student. He then looked over Kazrack’s shoulder at the others. “Still traveling with the same bunch, I see.”

“Belear, I have much to speak to you about,” Kazrack began, but Belear raised his hand.

“We shall have time,’ Belear said. “But tell me, what happened to the witch?”

A puzzled expression passed Kazrack’s face, and then he knew what the older dwarf meant. “Jana has passed on.”

Belear nodded.

The other dwarf that had stepped forward, joined them. To non-dwarves he might have appeared the same age as Kazrack, but Kazrack could tell he was a few years older. He was seasoned veteran of combat. He has short cropped black hair on the top and sides, but he wore it long in the back. He was swarthier than the other dwarves, as if he had some red dwarf blood in him (179), and had a star-shaped scar above his right eye. He wore a suit of splint mail beneath his fur jacket, and leaned on a great axe. A pouch of runestones could be seen tied about his neck.

“This is Captain Adalar Barnath,” Belear gestured to the dwarf. “He is the leader of this group I have assembled. Come join us at the fire. Everyone! You must be weary from your journey. We have naught but cram, because game has been scarce and we cannot trade in the human town, for their constable is a cur of a man.”

“We know,” Jeremy piped in.

As the two groups gathered about the circle, one of the dwarves leapt at Helrahd and grabbed him in great hug. As the dwarf pulled away from the spitting grumbler, the others could see that it was a female dwarf. Jeremy gawked, but Martin looked away politely. She stepped boldly over to Kazrack and spoke, “Hello! I’m Kirla, Helrahd’s sister.”

She wore a chain shirt and small helmet. Her hair was more coppery in color than her brother’s, and she had rosier cheeks. Kazrack could tell that these dwarven siblings were hill dwarves, and this could not be Belear’s community. However, in her short well-kempt beard, she had one longer braid made of four locks of hair, and wound with a gold wire, that held a bright garnet at its bottom. It was obviously as sign of honor for a shield-maiden (180).

She thrust her hand out.

All the other dwarves fell silent, except Helrahd who coughed. Kazrack stared at the hand, not sure what to do. He bowed.

“I am Kazrack Delver. Well met,” he said, averting his eyes. Kirla sighed and stamped her foot. Kazrack took her hand and shook it.

Captain Adalar shook his head. (181)

Everyone sat around the fire, but Ratchis stayed outside of the circle, pacing about. The eyes of dwarves seemed to lay heavily on him.

“D’nar, please sit,” Kazrack gestured to the ground on the other side of him from Belear. “Your counsel is sought here as well.”

“I guess we should take a moment to thank Natan-Ahb in prayer for this coming together of dwarves and humans for the benefit of our fine gnomish friends who have always been staunch allies of ours,” Belear began. He lowered his head and laid his hands flat upon the earth. All the other dwarves bowed their heads as well, but only two or three pressed their hands to the ground, Kazrack among them. The party bowed their heads as well.

After the prayer, Belear continued, “Unfortunately, I must begin with what is not the best of news, but positive news none-the-less. I was unable to muster the forces I thought I ought.” He paused. “It seems that the lower passages of our community, Arbarrane-Arbaruch, have been overrun by these strange hairy bear-like man creatures…”

“Quaggoths,” Martin interjected.

“Yes, some were called that name,” Belear’s eyes widened. “I assume you have also had run-ins with these things?”

“Yes,” Kazrack replied.

“Yes, no coincidence, I have no doubt,” Belear said. “However, that is gem of another grade as we say… As I was saying, the place is under attack. And while the stronghold has more than enough power to repel any invasion, these fine dwarves were all could be spared. They volunteered, an are to be honored to give up their place to fight for their home to fulfill the ancient pledge of the earth peoples.”

He paused.

“What we have here are a sturdy lot of dwarves ready to do what must be done to free those gnomes from evil, and with the aid of the elves, we should be able to deal with this Mozek once and for all.”

There was a long silence. Three of the dwarves were obviously brothers (182). They had bright cornsilk beards, and their lack of mustaches betrayed their youth. The all wore chain shirts, and their eager faces moved from party member to party member, but most often they looked at Ratchis with looks of disgust. They were the Tarnitch Brothers, Golnar, Tolnar and Jolnar.

“There will be no aid from the elves,” Ratchis finally broke the silence.

“Figures,” Captain Adalar scoffed.

Kazrack explained to Belear and the others about how the elves had also been attacked by quaggoths. He went on to try to explain about the drow witches, and the danger of drow attack on the surface. There were protests in mixed common and dwarven from the dwarves.

“Dark elves are a myth,” Helrahd spit.

Captain Adalar nodded.

Belear shook his head. “It has often been feared that they might return,” the older priest said. “It was discussed in the inner-chambers of the rune-throwers with the chieftain. The quaggoth are typically the servants of the dark elves, while they might have attacked at random, their attacks were too well organized and timed to be their own work. They are being directed. Who else would it be?”

“We believe as you do,” Beorth spoke up. “I don’t remember anything. Any of these things, except what Jana told me before she passed and what I have picked up, but somehow I think perhaps this gives me a better perspective on all these puzzle pieces. Regardless, these quaggoth attacks are not coincidental, and would not be surprised that what connects them to Mozek and his demons is Hurgun’s Maze.”

“What do you mean you don’t remember anything?” Belear asked.

Beorth’s memory was explained.

“Oh, this just gets better and better, doesn’t it?” Captain Adalar grumbled in dwarven. Kazrack looked at him.

Captain Adalar stood. “We came to aid free gnomes from an oppressor, but now we are learning that these quaggoth creatures might be part of some greater and broader danger, and that brings in the danger of drow? And with whom are we going to defeat these evil gnomes, demons, drow and witches? I have much faith in my axe, and in Natan-Ahb before all other things, but if the danger is greater than our elders know we must return and warn them, or am I to believe that by joining our small group with this group of tattered rags we are to accomplish all this? Look at that one!” The captain pointed to Martin. “He doesn’t seem fit for nothing more strenuous than baking bread! And that other one,” He pointed Ratchis. “Sure he is big, but he has the blood of our enemies!”

Kazrack stood. “He has the blood of our enemies, but he also has the blood of men. He favors man.”

“That must be a cold comfort,” one of the two dwarves who had not spoken yet muttered. There were two sitting just outside of the circle, passing a jug between the two of them. The one on the right was the smallest of all the dwarves present, but he also appeared to be the oldest. His beard was mostly white, with thin streaks of black, and on top he was mostly bald. He rheumy blue eyes, and wore a chain shirt, like most of the other dwarves, but his skin was pock-marked and care worn. When he did not have the jug, he picked at his lips. He was Blodnath.

The other looked to be the same age as Kazrack. He had a rich thick mahogany beard, and a hair in one small tight braid. He wore all black. He had two sheathed short swords on his lap. He did not speak at all. He was Baervard.

“Captain, no matter what we are going to rescue the gnomes, and then from there we will decide if all or part of us will return to Arbarrane-Arbaruch,” Belear said calmly. “We are to see these people as our allies, even if history says we cannot all be friends.”

“Yes, Rune-Thrower,” the captain said, bowing his head and sitting back down.

“Well, we will find out more when we have returned to Garvan and defeated Mozek, and freed the gnomes,” Belear said.

“Do we think the gnomes will aid us against Mozek?” Beorth asked, and this led to a long discussion as to how loyal the gnome community was in general to Mozek, and whether they not suspect at all that he were type of demon.

“I think we should seek out the Maze now,” Ratchis said. “I think the key to defeating Mozek is there.”

“No one knows where Hurgun’s Maze is,” Belear said.

“But Beorth knew of a place where we could find out,” Ratchis replied.

:”Knew?” Belear asked skeptically. “You mean he forgot it with everything else he forgot. So, it does us no good.”

“We can seek out a cure for Beorth’s memory, and then the Maze,” Ratchis said.

“And by that time the gnomes may be all dead, and Arbarrane-Arbaruch overrun by drow,” Captain Adalar said.

“Yes,” Belear said. “We are going to help the gnomes. That is what we came here to do and that is what we will do. Tomorrow we will make our way there.”

“I would like to stop in Summit to retrieve some books and things I’ve left there,” said Martin. “And also we need to re-provision ourselves for what might be a long journey.”

“Better Summit than Ogre’s Bluff,” Ratchis said.

“And the priest of Bast outside of town might know something useful,” Martin added.

“Impatience leads to ruin,” Belear said wisely. “We shall make our way to this town and make what preparations we need and then go from there.”

It was agreed.

Everyone began to settle into their own thing, about different fires. Jeremy joined Blodnath and Baervard by one small fire. While Belear and Kazack walked off to the edge of camp. Ratchis noticed that the other dwarves did not seem to talk to Helrahd much, and he wandered off.

“So, you’re a wizard?” Kirla asked Martin the Green. Martin was taken aback, as his spell-casting ability had not been mentioned, nor had anyone been specifically introduced.

“Yes,” he replied.

“Do you take over people’s minds and make them bend to your will and do your bidding?” She asked matter-of-factly.

“No!” Martin was shocked at such a suggestion.

“Do you raise the dead and make them serve you as shambling zombies?”

“No!”

“Do you twist people into monstrosities to break their minds and make them go crazy and start killing people?”

“No!” Martin shook his head. “What makes you think that?”

“Well,” Kirla scratched her hairy chin. “That’s what all the wizards do in stories.”

“Not all wizards are like that,’ Martin explained. “And definitely not Academy wizards. In fact, being a watch-mage of the Academy is a great honor, as I am entrusted to look after people.”

“Me too,” Kirla replied. “I am a shield-maiden. Sworn to guard my stronghold’s homesteads. As a shield-maiden if I ask any dwarven man to be my husband he must.”

Well, that is quite an advantage,” Martin quipped.

Meanwhile, Jeremy was spitting a mouthful of Dwarf Spirits into the fire. He coughed and gagged.

“Do it again. The second time is better,” Blodnath said. Baervard never spoke a word.

Jeremy shrugged his shoulders and took another swing. It burned like liquid fire, but it seemed to burst into comforting warmth in his stomach.

‘I’m Jeremy, by the way,” he told the two dwarves.

“Eh? What kind of name is that?” Blodnath sneered. “Sounds kinda elfy.”

“It isn’t.”

“You should call yourself Nithnil.”

“Now that sounds elfy,’ Jeremy replied.

“Well, the elves stole some of our language,” Blodnath said. “Elves steal lots of stuff. They call it ‘discovering’, but it naught but stealing.”

“I’ve met elves before,” Jeremy said, craving another swig of the spirits, but noting how the old dwarf held the flask to his breast protectively. “They were nice. They gave me this sword.”

Jeremy drew his magical short sword. “It is the Right Blade of Arofel.”

Both Blodnath and Baervard’s eyes opened widely.

“Is that really the Right Blade of Arofel?” Blodnath asked

“You’ve heard of it?” Jeremy asked by way of reply.

“Are you crazy?” Blodnath motioned for the sword and Jeremy handed it to him. “Arofel was General Otto Herir’s closest companion.”

“Who?”

“The founder of Petrified Tree?”

“What?”

“Troll-Slayers. It was a group of mostly dwarves, but there were elves and gnomes, too, that joined up at the end of the Troll-Wars to eradicate the troll-race. They are still around; the organization that is.”

“When was that?” Jeremy asked.

“The Third Age.”

“Wow, this is an old sword.”

“Yeah, by human standards,” Blodnath replied. He examined the sword and hefted it, and then handed it back to Jeremy. “That is a kingly gift.”

“What else can you tell me about Arofel?” Jeremy asked, eagerly.

“Well, he was a half-breed, uh…half-elf. He was a wizard, too. At least, I think he was. The stories always describe him jumping to the top of walls with one bound, and crawling on them like he was a spider. Things like that.”

Belear and Kazrack talked.

“I have sworn an oath to Krauchaar not to wear my armor until he shown that I am in his good graces,” Kazrack said to his former teacher. (183)

“I fear you tempt the gods,” Belear replied gravely. “One of the ways that Krauchaar shows us his grace is by giving us the skill and ability to make and use armor.”

“I must have done something to offend him,” Kazrack continued. “For my blows have been less effective, and I have succumbed to blows that I should have endured. When he shows that I am in his good graces again, and I am blessed by his warrior-prowess, then and only then will I don my armor, again. Until then, let it be a weight I bear as a penance, but not serve me in a protective fashion.”

Belear shook his head. “Let us hope you live so long.”

“Do you not approve of my choice and my sacrifice?” Kazrack asked, allowing some disappointment to creep into his voice.

Belear avoided the question. “Why do you think that you have fallen from Krauchaar’s sight?”

“Because I have been completely ineffective in combat,” Kazrack replied.

“I admire your piety, Kazrack, but not everything is a direct sign from the gods,” Belear said. “I think you should re-consider this sacrifice, and the danger it puts you, your companions and your charges in. However, if in good conscience you believe this is what Krauchaar would have you do, then do it and I wish you success and growth with it and from it.”

Soon, everyone asleep in their bedrolls, and the dwarves offered to take care of setting watches. The party heartily agreed, desiring a good full night’s rest for a change. Of course, Martin, who felt like he needed a good rest, could not fall asleep, except for the brief two hours his magical ring allowed him.

The going was slow in the morning, and it was closer to noon before the newly formed group, 14 people strong was marching northward to Summit. The sun was warm on their faces, and everywhere could be heard the sounds of thaw.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Notes

(179) Red Dwarves (also known as “hill dwarves”) tend to be ruddier in skin-tone than Black Dwarves (i.e. mountain dwarves).

(180) In dwarven society, those female dwarves who are trained in martial skills are called “Shield Maidens” and are charged with the defense of the women and children of the stronghold during times of war or attack. Occasionally, they are also charged to defend dwarven temples.

(181) In dwarven culture it is considered inappropriate for unmarried male and female dwarves to be so familiar as to grasp wrists in welcome.

(182) For there to be three siblings in the same family is considered very auspicious, as the dwindling birthrate of dwarves makes it so that often dwarves are only children, or have one sibling at the most. As with elves, twins are very rare in dwarven society, so triplets like Golnar, Jolnar and Tolnar might even be seen as freakish.

(183) Krauchaar is the dwarven god of battle.

head explody

First Post
Great update! I enjoy learning about your dwarven society..

Another nudge set towards you updating the aquerra online guide.. I can understand it if your music* is much more important.. my drawings often are.. but, stupid art not paying the bills! Hope your music can :)

Thank you colleen! I think I like the kazrack drawing the best.. followed by jana. (I remember there being more than that! but saw that the tread got lost.)

*remember it from nutkinland, very blues sounding.. and being from NO, love blues.. gonna let us know in this thread when you get more samples online?

Dawn

First Post
Sorry about the hiatus Nem. Many things happening over the holidays.

Just got caught up on your posts.

Great quotes from the last update had me doing the “copy/paste” keyboard shuffle:
<that is gem of another grade as we say>
<Elves steal lots of stuff. They call it ‘discovering’>

Plan use these with my new group of dwarves.

Cyronax

Explorer
BUMP

Awesome update as always nemm! I really like Helrad, Kirla and the other dwarves. I really like your take on dwarven gender relations. Kirla will make an excellent addition to the party ;)

Can't wait for more,
C.I.D.

Remove ads