"Out of the Frying Pan" - Book II: Catching the Spark (Part Two) - {complete}

Metus

First Post
I'm back and caught up! I'm one of your regular readers, so feel free to list me as such. My address is below my name.

Anyways, good to be back, and looking forward to more!

Poto Knezer

First Post
Kazrack's vow

I'm curious how Kazrack's player decided to take the no-armor vow. I assume it has to do with his knowledge of his player's religion. But was it his idea to do this because of some bad die rolls? Or was this something you as the DM thought was appropriate due to his dice rolling. Or was it from something else. Religion in this campaign is very interesting. Being a cleric has some real limitations on the PCs, which is completely appropriate.

On another tack, I'm curious how old you guys are. Your play is very mature. Perhaps you could give us a ball park of your ages, or perhaps give everyone's age w/o specifiying who is what age.

Enjoying the updates.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
The no armor thing was the player's idea after having had some bad luck - Neither tried to discourage or encourage him out of game - but I made sure Belear expressed his own doubts about it based on typical dwarven ideas of faith and sacrifice.

The rest of the prty (both in and out of game) gave him a really hard time about it.

As for "clerics" in Aquerra, I feel like dedication to a god is a pretty serious thing and there is nothing that annoys me more than generic clerics - and a priest should always have his god's/church's interest first. In addition, like paladins most priesthoods in Aquerra have some kind of multi-classing restriction.

As for our ages we range in age from 27 to 34, with most of use leaning towards the older end. I am 31.

Martin Olarin

First Post
Re: Kazrack's vow

Poto Knezer said:
I'm curious how Kazrack's player decided to take the no-armor vow. I assume it has to do with his knowledge of his player's religion. But was it his idea to do this because of some bad die rolls? Or was this something you as the DM thought was appropriate due to his dice rolling. Or was it from something else. Religion in this campaign is very interesting. Being a cleric has some real limitations on the PCs, which is completely appropriate.

On another tack, I'm curious how old you guys are. Your play is very mature. Perhaps you could give us a ball park of your ages, or perhaps give everyone's age w/o specifiying who is what age.

Enjoying the updates.

A number of factors went into the decision:

1) While the players are aware that we are rolling dice the characters are not and should react appropriately to the bad results of dice rolling.

2) To many Medievil cultures - especially non-christian- the concept of luck wasn't probability based but merely a form of grace - which is why it was considered as something some people have and others don't.

3) Nemmerle made it clear to me that Dwarves in general have a very real sense of the Gods looking over them and judging their every action.

4) Kazrack is young, both in years and in exploring the higher mysteries of his faith. Combined with some of the conversations he has had with Belear, his youth may have him over emphasizing the direct involvment of the Gods. Depending on what happens in game this will probably mellow.

5) The idea of the vow itself was actually, if it wasn't clear, to emphasize his personal bravery.

The original vow I had in mind was actually much more involved as it included pennance to all the gods but it proved a little unweildly and thus I narrowed it's focus some.

I'm 33.

(sigh)

Sammael99

First Post
Re: Re: Kazrack's vow

Martin Olarin said:
The original vow I had in mind was actually much more involved as it included pennance to all the gods but it proved a little unweildly and thus I narrowed it's focus some.

I'm 33.

(sigh)

I think it's a great idea. I also love how Martin the Mage is protecting Kazar "behind his back" as it were (and seemingly more efficiently than the armor ;))

It's been a long time since I haven't played with people ready to put their character at risk for purely role-playing reasons, not in-story reasons. It needs to be kept in check (or everyone buys it, usually), but it's great in terms of involvement.

On a side note

Nemmerle said:
As for our ages we range in age from 27 to 34, with most of use leaning towards the older end. I am 31.

Nemm, I would never have thought you 31 based on the photos. You look a lot younger ! Cherish that, my guess is it doesn't last (or so my receding hairline tells me).

So, when can we listen to your music ? Someone's mention of "bluesy" got me even more interested...

Martin Olarin

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Kazrack's vow

Sammael99 said:

I think it's a great idea. I also love how Martin the Mage is protecting Kazar "behind his back" as it were (and seemingly more efficiently than the armor ;))

It's been a long time since I haven't played with people ready to put their character at risk for purely role-playing reasons, not in-story reasons. It needs to be kept in check (or everyone buys it, usually), but it's great in terms of involvement.

As it has turned out Martin has saved Kazrack's but a few times now - at times in a very hands on fashion as compared to casting from a distance. I don't know how many others have noticed or cared but Martin's player has done some of my favorite rping in the group with his slow steady development/growth of Martin. I feel this way even though he hates me and Kazrack:)

I know I'm in the minority but I don't think any rping should be kept in check simply because it may kill the character. If a character is afraid of dieing - fine, but I don't think a character should do things because the *player* is afraid of the character dieing.

Sammael99

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Kazrack's vow

Martin Olarin said:
I know I'm in the minority but I don't think any rping should be kept in check simply because it may kill the character. If a character is afraid of dieing - fine, but I don't think a character should do things because the *player* is afraid of the character dieing.

Agreed... to some extent. As a GM though, the angst-ridden player with a death-wish can be really annoying and counter-productive. I'm certainly not saying that's what you are ! Just a general comment.

I think the best of role-playing can potentially get in the way of enjoyment for all and as a GM I have found "extreme role-players" to be sometimes as disruptive to a game as "extreme powergamers"...

Nemm, sorry for hijacking your most excellent SH, please feel free to delete my rants ;)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Role-Players

Sammael99 said:

Agreed... to some extent. As a GM though, the angst-ridden player with a death-wish can be really annoying and counter-productive. I'm certainly not saying that's what you are ! Just a general comment.

I think the best of role-playing can potentially get in the way of enjoyment for all and as a GM I have found "extreme role-players" to be sometimes as disruptive to a game as "extreme powergamers"...

Nemm, sorry for hijacking your most excellent SH, please feel free to delete my rants ;)

No need to delete - this is pertinent. . .

Personally, I have not had the kind of trouble you speak of in years and years - as I have gotten older I have gotten less tolerant of that kind of stuff and it is a sure ticket to get kicked out my game.

What I mean is in my experience "extreme role-players" are not really so much concerned with role-playing as they are with hogging the spotlight and having fun at the expense of ruining everyone else's.

Ratchis

First Post
First, Martin and Martin's player do not hate Kazrack and Kazrack's player. Kazrack and Kazrack's player have a complex. ;)

Second, the three followers of Gods (Ratchis, Kazrack and Beorth) are by far the biggest pains in the asses for the group since they are constantly strugling with what their God's wish and their worthiness at interpreting said wishes. This is as it should be and usually great fun, but nerves can fray a bit. Which is why we joke around at times and pay the pig (ignoring the fact that Kazrack's player and myself are huge wise guys) . ;)

Third, I am aware that I have busted Kazrack's player's chops a bit much at times about the decisions he makes for his characters and I have taken a vow to cut this out.

Fourth, you guys are going to love the coming updates.

Fifth, I am 34. :(

Sixth, J! E! T! S! JETS! JETS! JETS!

Remove ads