• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Out with the old (Game design traditions we should let go)

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
In regards to this overall topic, I'm not really one who wants to get rid of old game design traditions, but, rather, I am more concerned that there is a viable place in our hobby for new or non-traditional game design.
There was a time where this would be a concern for me, but I think KS and VTTs have really opened up the space for non-traditional design.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I was telling one of our interns at work the other day, "When Martha started, they still had ash trays at the desks because you could smoke while working," and she could scarcely believe it. When I run games set in the United States during the 20s and 30s, I describe many places as having a blue haze as people are constantly smoking.
And the 20s and 30s aren't nearly as bad as post-WWII.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/figures/m4843a2f1.gif

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I think I've already linked to Cthulhu Dark, which is free. In case you missed it, it's here: http://catchyourhare.com/files/Cthulhu Dark.pdf

Here you can get In A Wicked Age for $5: In a Wicked Age

Here you can get Apocalypse World (2nd ed; I don't know how it differs from 1st ed, which is what I've got) for $15: Apocalypse World (2nd Ed)

Here you can get the core rules of BW for free: Burning Wheel Gold: Hub and Spokes - Burning Wheel | Burning Wheel | DriveThruRPG.com

Here you can get a version of Torchbearer for $15: Torchbearer - Burning Wheel | Burning Wheel | DriveThruRPG.com

Here you can order BW Gold Revised for $35: Burning Wheel Gold Revised.

That's $70. For 5 RPGs.

The only RPG publisher I know of who is actually making significant amounts of money from recurrent sales to RPGers is WotC.
You can frequently find giant Humble Bundle collections of various game systems for just not quite free. Cost is not a strong argument at dabbling your toe into many different game systems.

mythago

Hero
I think I find the idea that learning the rules is such a bother to be odd. I actually like learning a new game. Ideally, the basics are easy to grasp, and then there are other elements that take some time to learn.

If it's a game where the basis are indeed easy to grasp and don't take a ton of time to learn, great! Otherwise, it's a bother because I have limited free time for my hobby and I don't want to waste it on the equivalent of doing a homework assignment.

Splatbooks, other than those that enhance the physical and political aspects of settings.

Games/settings with scores of monsters and numerous intelligent species, especially those which have no explanation as to how these races are interacting.

Endless lists of spells, talents, sub-classes, and the like.

Systems and settings which are just cookie-cutter copies of existing systems.

Fiction in RPG books. We get it, you wanted to be a real writer, but here's the simple fact: you're not. Plus your game system is going to get house-ruled and twisted into something you barely recognize, so your crappy short fiction will just be wasted space.

Trying to make your same seem unique by changing the names for GM, player, and other common RPG terms, including monsters. Call a vampire a vampire, Undead Undead, etc. I'm looking at you, Harn, but you're not the only one.

Fiction in RPG books. We get it, you wanted to be a real writer, but here's the simple fact: you're not. Plus your game system is going to get house-ruled and twisted into something you barely recognize, so your crappy short fiction will just be wasted space.
This really does drive me crazy. Even back in the 90s when I was head over heels for World of Darkness I couldn't handle more than a paragraph of fiction jammed into a rulebook.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
This really does drive me crazy. Even back in the 90s when I was head over heels for World of Darkness I couldn't handle more than a paragraph of fiction jammed into a rulebook.
I don't mind it being there -- I have written my share of it, in fact -- but it shouldn't obscure the rules.

mythago

Hero

This. ESPECIALLY when it's in a terrible hard-to-read handwritten font that goes on and on for pages.

To be fair, there are some rulesets that handle this well; Dread is a fantastic example of how short snippets can set the mood and example for play. But they're the exception.

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
My biggest gripe with fiction inserts is that they could've been used to actually illustrate the game. Like, switch between the table, how the players roll stuff, smirk, spill beer over the book and describe their actions, and the game world, where characters swing swords and whatever.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
My current project, a Sci-Fi Horror hack of Trophy Gold does have fiction in it. However, it's not more than a paragraph at a time, and while it does tell the story of a doomed incursion, the actual paragraphs also help illuminate the rules bits they're set next to. Execution is important.

Remove ads