Out with the old (Game design traditions we should let go)

overgeeked

B/X Known World
There is no advancement in the original Traveller, which dates back to the beginning of RPGs.
Traveller’s a weird one. Advancement was part of character creation, but you risked death. You could take correspondence course after character creation to improve. A lot of people miss it because it’s in the Starships book (p40).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
PCs just being major characters who we spend a lot screentime with, and preferably with conflicting interests, that's pretty much it. Like, say, Walter, Jesse, Skyler, Mike and Gus rather than Frodo, Sam, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli.

It works spectacularly well in Apocalypse World and Urban Shadows.
OK, gotcha. The anti-PvP crowd will doubtless have something to say on this as such a system could quickly turn into PvP, but I'm cool with it, and many of my games end up working like this even though they run in parties. (i.e. it'd be more representative to throw a few Boromirs into the LotR group)

Question, though: who are the bolded guys?

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
OK, gotcha. The anti-PvP crowd will doubtless have something to say on this as such a system could quickly turn into PvP, but I'm cool with it, and many of my games end up working like this even though they run in parties. (i.e. it'd be more representative to throw a few Boromirs into the LotR group)

Question, though: who are the bolded guys?
Main cast of Breaking Bad.

Remove ads