• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Owl Hoot Trail: spaghetti western + fantasy = awesome. Come playtest!

JoeBlank

Explorer
I dig westerns. If it is rules lite, I can try to run a playtest with my sons, the BlankBoys, who are ages 10, 12 and 14. I'd love the chance to give it a try.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I dig westerns. If it is rules lite, I can try to run a playtest with my sons, the BlankBoys, who are ages 10, 12 and 14. I'd love the chance to give it a try.

It's definitely pretty rules-lite - I'm sure the kids will handle anything that's in there.

-Hyp.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Whoo hoo! Go here if you want to playtest. You can also read the article I wrote on the game here.

Hypersmurf and I found a few things that need to be added to the rules before they go out for playtesting. I should have my revised copy to Pelgrane on Tuesday.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I think is this is the reason for the objection:

Even though "SNAP" describes the use of a bull whip, lasso, or rope it doesn't play well with a genre appropriate term like GRIT due to modern usage which plays towards breaking something, snapping your fingers, or an "exclaimation" of suprise (though not really) and it's over use to the point that it irks some people when it is used.

That said, I propose a more genre appropriate term: DRAW.

-Posted via mobile device.

Last edited:

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Totally count me in Piratecat!

My weekly gaming group hasn't played a "Arcade's Gang" game in six years (my Boot Hill/D&D hybrid campaign). Playtesting "Owl Hoot Trail" would give me a great opportunity to revisit that campaign world! I don't think it will be very difficult at all for me to adapt the existing characters to the new rule system.

Nytmare

David Jose
What's the substance of your objection?

In all honesty, what it basically boiled down to was me reading through the post with a cowboy drawl in my brain and "What's yer GRIT?" and "Roll yer WITS." rolled right out with no problem. I couldn't drawl out a sentence with SNAP in it that made me happy however, and then the imaginary players in my head started making stupid Machoman Randy Savage jokes.

I also thought about DRAW, and wondered if it felt too action specific. SPEED covered all the bases, but at the same time it was kinda generic. Then I set about trying to imagine a word that would fit into a movie title, and landed on QUICK.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
In all honesty, what it basically boiled down to was me reading through the post with a cowboy drawl in my brain and "What's yer GRIT?" and "Roll yer WITS." rolled right out with no problem. I couldn't drawl out a sentence with SNAP in it that made me happy however, and then the imaginary players in my head started making stupid Machoman Randy Savage jokes.

Hmm, okay.

I don't get the same problem - I can picture "Whiskey, and make it SNAPpy!" or "Round me up a posse! Don't dawdle, SNAP to it, man!" without losing my immersion.

One advantage DRAW has over SPEED and QUICK is that it retains the four-letter convention for ability scores intact.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads