• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

P2 - Demon Queen's Enclave - so this is the best WotC module, really?!

Klaus

First Post
Er, yes! How could I mention Stonefang Pass and not Slaying Stone in the same breath? :S

I think with a higher page count, they could very well be a mini campaign arc all by themselves. They could have been the new H1-3 arc.

And now it looks like Reavers (with the recent article on Nerathi Legends) is shaping up to be another great Heroic arc. Reavers was nearly worth the price of the DM Kit all by itself!

Okay, not really, but it was pretty good, considering. If they'd replaced the DM book with dungeon tiles for the adventure, and fleshed it out a little more, and kept all the tokens, it probably would be.
My idea would be to string the adventures like this:
- Slaying Stone
- upon returning from SS, Reavers of Harkenwold
- Cairn of the Witch King
- Cairn's airship crashes, and the PCs undergo Stonefang Pass because they also need the passage to go home.
- Add a few more "away from home territory" adventures/dungeons/delves until they get back to Harkenwold.

Aegeri

First Post
Slaying Stone, Orcs of Sourfang Pass, Tomb of Horrors, Reavers of Harkenfold are all really pretty decent adventures IMO. I think Reavers of Harkenfold is probably their best and is the culmination of 2 years of solid design work. It is in fact the best thing about the DM's Kit (little else is if you own the DMG/DMG2).

Jhaelen

First Post
The sad state of affairs is that it probably is the best. I own all the adventures and haven't really been overly impressed by any.
Okay, maybe that's how it is. Myself I liked 'Thunderspire Labyrinth' best, and it's probably the only one of the initial nine I'm actually going to DM.

'Slaying Stone' is one of the more recent modules I liked.
'Cairn of the Witch King', however, is not the kind of adventure that would fly with my group. Also, about the only thing I liked is the intro-encounter. I guess I might slightly alter it and then skip to a different adventure ;)

I'll have to see if I can get hold of the adventure in the DM's kit. I'm not really interested in getting the whole kit just for the adventure module.

What I'm really looking for right now is a good module for a level 13 party. Any suggestions?

Dannager

First Post
I'd take a look at some of the Paizo Adventure Paths, and grab one of the 4e conversions. Regardless of how you feel about Pathfinder, one has to admit that their modules are badass as far as story, roleplaying and character hooks. We're running Kingmaker in 4e right now, and while I'm not very good at converting, the first session was still a lot of fun. I also know Dannager has done conversions of several modules out of Rise of the Runelords, and has done one of the Curse of the Crimson Throne modules so far. Speaking of RotRL, we're doing RotRL right now in PF rules as well, which I think would be fun to do in 4e.

Yep, I've found they get along very nicely with 4e.

keterys

First Post
I've enjoyed Curse of the Crimson Throne a lot so far in 4E - I'm mid-way through #5, and I should be wrapping the campaign up later this year. I have made some changes as I've gone through, but less than you might think I'd have to.

At least in terms of concepts - I mean, I custom make almost every monster, but that's as much pleasure as work :)

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Question. Where is this Cairn of the Witch King located? The only place that shows up in Google is this thread.

re: Paizo AP conversion. That's what I'd recommend as well. You need to keep their spirit and mash a bunch of lesser combat encounters together to make 4e-appropriate ones, but it's not hard at all and well worth it.

DJINNIMAN

First Post
I am fairly certain the reference should be Cairn of the Winter King, the adventure included in the Monster Vault.

I preferred this adventure over Reavers of Harkenwold because I am a novice to 4E, and it has been a long time since I was a DM in college. I found it was hard to keep track of all the NPCs and such. Cairn of the Winter King is more straightforward and had an old school feel that I really enjoyed.

Herschel

Adventurer
My issue is do I want teh DM kit just for teh adventure and map. So far I haven't felt teh need to make that plunge even though I really want the adventure and map.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I'll chime in with further support for Reavers of Harkenwold - I wrote up a review of my experience running it on my blog.

I was like many of you in that I had no interest in buying the DM Kit, but I wanted the adventure. Fortunately, I mentioned this to the owner of my friendly local game store, Enchanted Grounds, and he loaned me the copy of the adventure from the store copy of the DM Kit. Awesome!

Next up for that particular campaign will be Cairn of the Winter King from the Monster Vault. I agree that it doesn't seem as interesting as Reavers (it's a more traditional dungeon crawl from the looks of things), but I don't think my party will mind - they just want to kill bad guys and take their stuff.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads