Pages From The Upcoming Nautical D&D Book!

These screencaps were posted by GM Leigh (of Mage Productions) on Twitter after being showed on WotC's Twitch stream, presented by Kate Welch and Nathan Stewart. Note the old Saltmarsh trilogy references!

These screencaps were posted by GM Leigh (of Mage Productions) on Twitter after being showed on WotC's Twitch stream, presented by Kate Welch and Nathan Stewart. Note the old Saltmarsh trilogy references!

1.jpg
2.jpg

gyor

Legend
The only way I will buy this is if the adventure is on the Sea of Fallen Stars with info on the nations around and within it. If it's Greyhawk I will pass.

gyor

Legend
My current wave is that there is an intro section on ship stuff, similar to the incongruous section on the Yawning Portal in TftYP (though probably more relevant), mainly adventure content (U1-3, not sure what else would fit: the Sea Devil stuff from 2E??), and a beastiary of monsters in the adventure material and maybe some random aquatic beasts and even random encounter tables.

Yawning Portal was a successful book, but it seems they are working to avoid it's main pitfall, being a more or less random grabbag of stuff.

My gut still feels like the Summer storyline will be seafaring too, so maybe this slots in well as an intro to a Tier 2 and up AP.

Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage has links to all the plots for TotYP, so it feels less of a grab beg if used with the Waterdeep Books, and more like an expansion of W: DMM.

aco175

Legend
The only way I will buy this is if the adventure is on the Sea of Fallen Stars with info on the nations around and within it. If it's Greyhawk I will pass.

I could also see something south of Waterdeep, maybe Baldur's Gate and Amn/Tethyr

epithet

Explorer
If they republish the Saltmarsh modules as a 5e conversion, and they feel the need to remove the adventure from Saltmarsh (which is on Oerth, the World of Greyhawk) and transplant it to the Forgotten Realms, I might have to put some effort into organizing the Greyhawk fans into some kind of actual pain in the ass until WotC quits dumping on the setting, by which I mean pillaging Greyhawk's stories and characters while continuing to forbid 3rd party Greyhawk products and 5e Greyhawk updates from being put up on the DMs Guild.

It's already gotten ridiculous, it rapidly approaching the point where my inherent laziness will be overcome.

Hussar

Legend
Honestly, it's almost guaranteed that this will be set in FR. I mean, 5 years in, EVERY major AP has been set in FR (barring Ravenloft) and why on Earth would they support a setting that has been out of print since before the vast majority of D&D gamers were born?

Look, I love Greyhawk too. But, at some point we need to face facts. It's just not going to happen. They are not going to open up Greyhawk because as soon as they do, DM's Guild will be flooded with 5e remakes of classic modules. Which puts a crimp in WotC's plans to mine those classic modules for the next several years.

This year it's Saltmarsh. Maybe next year it's Slavelords. But, if they open up Greyhawk, you can bet your butt that there will be 15 Slavelord remakes up before you can blink. WotC's just not going to muddy the waters this way.

If you are a GH fan, take solace in the fact that your favorite modules ARE being remade for 5e. And well, you're just going to have to get out your magic pen and edit the modules to fit into GH and file off the FR elements.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

I would expect it to be setting neutral, with suggestions for use with various settings, as with TftYP.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Honestly, it's almost guaranteed that this will be set in FR. I mean, 5 years in, EVERY major AP has been set in FR (barring Ravenloft) and why on Earth would they support a setting that has been out of print since before the vast majority of D&D gamers were born?

Look, I love Greyhawk too. But, at some point we need to face facts. It's just not going to happen. They are not going to open up Greyhawk because as soon as they do, DM's Guild will be flooded with 5e remakes of classic modules. Which puts a crimp in WotC's plans to mine those classic modules for the next several years.

This year it's Saltmarsh. Maybe next year it's Slavelords. But, if they open up Greyhawk, you can bet your butt that there will be 15 Slavelord remakes up before you can blink. WotC's just not going to muddy the waters this way.

If you are a GH fan, take solace in the fact that your favorite modules ARE being remade for 5e. And well, you're just going to have to get out your magic pen and edit the modules to fit into GH and file off the FR elements.

Mike Mearls was just on Dragon Talk discussing his plans to productize Greyhawk for 5E: it's not right around the corner, but it is on the map.

Remove ads

Remove ads