• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo and 5e

enrious

I doubt they'll move away from PF completely. As others have said, having a system that isn't dependent on another company has significant advantages for them. Short of 5e being such a hit that a significant portion of their base gives up PF completely, I can't see it happening.

That said, depending on licensing (and perhaps system compatibility), I could see them producing 5e conversions of their PF modules.

Always possible, like what Green Ronin did with the adaptations for their Freeport setting.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
If 5e uses 4e as a base but tries to bring back some of the stuff that people like about 3e...?

If 5e uses 3e as a base but tries to incorporate things that people like about 4e...?

I guess what I mean is that what they do will probably depend on whether WotC aims to compete with them in the same system niche.

Croesus

Adventurer
If 5E is any good, then I hope Paizo finds a way to publish material for it. IMO, no other company provides such evocative and just plain fun material for RPGs. No one's perfect, but they are darn good.

If WOTC can get the rules right, Paizo can do the rest.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
My expectation is that they'll continue with Pathfinder, for two reasons:

#1: They've put a lot of work into it, and it has a dedicated following.

#2: It doesn't tie them to another company's decisions.

I'd XP, but that option seems to have gone away.

Paizo is doing quite well producing its own game, I see no reason why it would go back to making supplements for somebody else's.

Felon

First Post
4e does not have OGL, its had GSL. If I remember correctly, wasn't their decision against using GSL a result the termination clause saying something like "WoTC can terminate your license and once we do you must get rid of all GSL products in 3 months after which those products may not be reprinted under any license."
Yes, I'm aware of all that.

an_idol_mind

Explorer
I think Paizo sticks with Pathfinder unless the D&D resurgence starts to damage their sales. They're doing quite well for themselves and they've invested a lot into their game and their product lines. Even if a new edition of D&D takes back the top spot on the sales charts, then Pathfinder can remain very successful on its own.

Ahnehnois

First Post
It seems to me that Paizo probably didn't find out about this today.

In retrospect, it makes the (very early) announcement of their planned MMO very interesting, especially given that it isn't supposed to use PF mechanics and may pave the way to a truly new future. I wonder if they're gearing up for a fight.

IronWolf

blank
Yeah, I can't see Paizo wanting to go back to supporting a system where they don't control their own destiny. *Maybe* if they feel 5e is doing well enough they would offer AP support for it, but I don't see them abandoning Pathfinder as a rules system when they have what they've built up with Pathfinder.

BryonD

Hero
Pathfinder had already become #1.
Now, for a short time, it will be the undisputed king because the wind will be out of 4E's sails and "iteration" is just a working theory.

But when "iteration" hit shelves it will be HUGE for some period of time.

Last time around the brains over at Paizo NAILED their tea-leaf readings. We will see if they can do it again.

In the short term they have a window to gain some fan base.
WotC has a very tall order trying to rebuild D&D. Failure is certainly possible. If that happens and Paizo holds steady, they will pretty be the new name in gaming for a generation. (or at least, they will have that title as theirs to try to not screw-up.... :) )

If WotC does "OK", then Paizo will still be in good shape in a 1 - 2 relationship with either potentially being distinctly ahead or it being too close to tell.

If WotC hits a home run then Paizo will likely need to seriously react.

But in any case this is going to be a slow moving train. But it still won't turn easy. A lot of people saw where 4E was headed before it was even officially released. And Paizo played that well. They have a vastly stronger driver's seat position now, so I think they can react to anything, be it Open or Closed, Awesome or Tailspin.

I do bet their development strategy just got a bit more risk averse however. And I bet they announce things a bit more slowly and deliberately as the lay of the land is revealed.

Remove ads