• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo and 5e

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Obviously this will all be wild speculation at this point. But what might Paizo's role be with 5e (or whatever the new iteration of D&D ends up being called)?

I think it will depend heavily on the license for the new game, of course. If it's restrictive, I can't see any reason for Paizo to do anything other than continue with Pathfinder.

But let's imagine that WotC goes with the OGL or something like it. How likely would Paizo be to move toward becoming a third party publisher of new D&D material rather than continuing with Pathfinder? What about a 5e D&D Golarion sourcebook? Paizo adventures for 5e?

Is the relationship between WotC and Paizo so bad that this just won't ever happen? Or is it possible that a reunification effort with this new iteration could actually succeed to the point that it basically brings Pathfinder into D&D?

Note that I'm saying this as someone who has only played a little Pathfinder (though I liked it) and who knows nothing about the business politics between these companies.

The relationship between Wizards and Paizo is reportedly quite good.

The relationship between Wizards fans and Paizo fans is not quite as good.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Paizo has a problem. It may not be a big problem, but it is something they'll have to look at. My expectation is that they'll continue with Pathfinder, for two reasons:

#1: They've put a lot of work into it, and it has a dedicated following.

#2: It doesn't tie them to another company's decisions.

That #2 is huge - we all saw how Paizo were hurt when they lost the Dragon/Dungeon license. It made them a better company in the long run, but it's very hard to rely on licensed properties.

Paizo isn't really that big. They have enough trouble getting out their PF material on time, and we've seen a few blunders in their material due to a lack of time (e.g. caravan rules in the Jade Regent AP). Doing 5E material as well - assuming the license allows it - is extremely unlikely.

However, if 5E actually turns out to be a really, really good game (a big if, but possible) and starts taking people away from Pathfinder, then Paizo will have a difficult decision on their hands.

Cheers!

Hassassin

First Post
Some options I see:

1. "5e" flops -> they can continue as before
  2. "5e" is successful and uses restrictive license -> they'll need to compete - "PF2"?
  3. "5e" is successful and uses something like OGL -> they can either evolve PF or rejoin "D&D"

enrious

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/faq

Why aren't you publishing 4th Edition products?

We believe that 3.5 rules better allow us to tell the kinds of stories that our customers enjoy. Since our staff loves the 3.5 system and the 30-year traditions that underlie it, since the Pathfinder Chronicles campaign setting was originally designed with 3.5 in mind, and since it would take us years to become as adept at the new system as we are with the perfectly good one that we've been using since Paizo was born, we've decided that sticking with 3.5 is the best option for the Pathfinder line.

Further, many of our customers have invested thousands of dollars in 3.5 products from Paizo and other companies, and we believe there is little reason why all of those products should go to waste. The 3.5 rules are an excellent adaptation of the original rules that started the tabletop RPG hobby, and allow us to tell the sorts of stories we've been enjoying our entire lives. Even better, the 3.5 rules are anchored to an Open Gaming movement that allows us to benefit from the best practices and brilliant design of the entire RPG publishing community. As long as 3.5 remains a viable rules set, the dream of Open Gaming will last forever.

What it sort of glosses over is, as was mentioned above, with the PRPG, their business is in the hands of no other company.

Felon

First Post
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/faq

Why aren't you publishing 4th Edition products?

We believe that 3.5 rules better allow us to tell the kinds of stories that our customers enjoy. Since our staff loves the 3.5 system and the 30-year traditions that underlie it, since the Pathfinder Chronicles campaign setting was originally designed with 3.5 in mind, and since it would take us years to become as adept at the new system as we are with the perfectly good one that we've been using since Paizo was born, we've decided that sticking with 3.5 is the best option for the Pathfinder line.

Further, many of our customers have invested thousands of dollars in 3.5 products from Paizo and other companies, and we believe there is little reason why all of those products should go to waste. The 3.5 rules are an excellent adaptation of the original rules that started the tabletop RPG hobby, and allow us to tell the sorts of stories we've been enjoying our entire lives. Even better, the 3.5 rules are anchored to an Open Gaming movement that allows us to benefit from the best practices and brilliant design of the entire RPG publishing community. As long as 3.5 remains a viable rules set, the dream of Open Gaming will last forever.
Man, that's some pandering there.

I think Erik Mona put it a lot more straightforward when he just came out and said that 4e OGL was flat-out unacceptable. You cannot run a business that produces print goods if doing so is dependent on agreeing to a license that allows another party to order you to remove your products from stores at their request.

If a new edition of D&D comes with a new OGL, Paizo will take a look at it and decide if it's acceptable. Then they'll try to get a feel for audience adoption. If there's a strong sign that there's a market that will consume their products, they'll probably try to target it. That is how business works.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Man, that's some pandering there.

I think Erik Mona put it a lot more straightforward when he just came out and said that 4e OGL was flat-out unacceptable. You cannot run a business that produces print goods if doing so is dependent on agreeing to a license that allows another party to order you to remove your products from stores at their request.

If a new edition of D&D comes with a new OGL, Paizo will take a look at it and decide if it's acceptable. Then they'll try to get a feel for audience adoption. If there's a strong sign that there's a market that will consume their products, they'll probably try to target it. That is how business works.

4e does not have OGL, its had GSL. If I remember correctly, wasn't their decision against using GSL a result the termination clause saying something like "WoTC can terminate your license and once we do you must get rid of all GSL products in 3 months after which those products may not be reprinted under any license."

Last edited:

Fanaelialae

Legend
I doubt they'll move away from PF completely. As others have said, having a system that isn't dependent on another company has significant advantages for them. Short of 5e being such a hit that a significant portion of their base gives up PF completely, I can't see it happening.

That said, depending on licensing (and perhaps system compatibility), I could see them producing 5e conversions of their PF modules.

Dannager

First Post
I doubt they'll move away from PF completely. As others have said, having a system that isn't dependent on another company has significant advantages for them. Short of 5e being such a hit that a significant portion of their base gives up PF completely, I can't see it happening.

That said, depending on licensing (and perhaps system compatibility), I could see them producing 5e conversions of their PF modules.

I can't really see them doing this, at least not in-house. This is the sort of thing that they'd maybe (maybe) consider licensing out to someone else to take care of, if prior history is any indication.

Remove ads