Paizo Announces New Irrevocable Open RPG License To Replace the OGL

1673564461522.png

Paizo, the maker of Pathfinder, has just announced a new open license for use with RPGs. The license will not be owned by Paizo - or by any TTRPG company, and will be stewarded by Azora Law, a company which represents several tabletop gaming companies, until it finds its home with an independent non-profit. This new license is designed to be irrevocable.

We believe, as we always have, that open gaming makes games better, improves profitability for all involved, and enriches the community of gamers who participate in this amazing hobby. And so we invite gamers from around the world to join us as we begin the next great chapter of open gaming with the release of a new open, perpetual, and irrevocable Open RPG Creative License (ORC).

The new Open RPG Creative License will be built system agnostic for independent game publishers under the legal guidance of Azora Law, an intellectual property law firm that represents Paizo and several other game publishers. Paizo will pay for this legal work. We invite game publishers worldwide to join us in support of this system-agnostic license that allows all games to provide their own unique open rules reference documents that open up their individual game systems to the world. To join the effort and provide feedback on the drafts of this license, please sign up by using this form.

In addition to Paizo, Kobold Press, Chaosium, Green Ronin, Legendary Games, Rogue Genius Games, and a growing list of publishers have already agreed to participate in the Open RPG Creative License, and in the coming days we hope and expect to add substantially to this group.

The ORC will not be owned by Paizo, nor will it be owned by any company who makes money publishing RPGs. Azora Law’s ownership of the process and stewardship should provide a safe harbor against any company being bought, sold, or changing management in the future and attempting to rescind rights or nullify sections of the license. Ultimately, we plan to find a nonprofit with a history of open source values to own this license (such as the Linux Foundation).

Read more on Paizo's blog.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
This is the cool and great thing. This won't directly make them any money. This puts them at risk and will cost them money with zero prospect that it might make following sales at all.

I mean it will sell Paizo stuff. Absolutely. But there is no direct link.

This is truly a good move.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
This is the cool and great thing. This won't directly make them any money. This puts them at risk and will cost them money with zero prospect that it might make following sales at all.

I mean it will sell Paizo stuff. Absolutely. But there is no direct link.

This is truly a good move.
Yes, no direct link, I fully agree. Still, it will garner them a lot of (totally deserved) goodwill just at the time when WotC is shedding a ton of its own.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases